Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mazda January sales were 2,254 Mazda6's in the United States. This is miles above the 742 Mazda 626's they sold in the same month, and about double the 626 sales of January 2002.

However, I'm wondering if this car is doing as well in the US as Mazda has predicted. For some reason I thought I'd read that Mazda was looking to sell about 80,000 Mazda6's in 2003. At this pace they're gonna break 30-35,000, which would not be even close to that figure. If their targeted sales are lower, please let me know, as I cannot seem to find a source that lists 80,000 cars, I only remember reading that quite awhile back.

Hopefully it is just the fact that production was still ramping up, shipments of vehicles were probably quite sporadic, and I imagine some variations were very difficult to come by. I also wonder if the low figure might be a result of the fact that people just didn't know this car was there in January. We didn't see any reviews in magazines until February issues, and TV ads still seem like they haven't reached full stride yet.

So, hopefully things are still ramping up. I'd hate to see the 6 exceed expectations all over the world, excpet in the US where they'd fall far below target, which would be a darn shame.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 sales figures'

It is a bit too early to worry about the sales of the 6 for a lot of reasons.

* It is winter. Most folks buy cars in the Spring and Summer. In the northeast USA we've also had quite a bit more snow than usual this year and that doesn't bring folks into showrooms.

* The economy is pretty bad overall.

* The 6 isn't known. It replaces the 626 which was around for many years. Give it time to make a name for itself.

* There is a war looming and gas prices are shooting up. Most folks are not thinking "new car" right now.

The new Accord is selling about at well as the old model did last year. One the surface that looks pretty good since Honda sells tons of 'em every year. But the new model year of an Accord usually brings a jump in sales and that hasn't happened. Also note that after only 3 months the local dealers are also offering the Accords at about the same discounts as they gave on last years models.

If the Mazda6 still isn't selling in larger numbers by July or August then Mazda has a problem.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda6 sales figures

All the points raised are good, but I have seen a G35 coupe, many 350Z's and quite a few new Accords. These are all new models, and if things were as bad as they seem, we wouldn't be seeing them at all.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Mazda seems to have screwed up on their sales forcasts also. There were never enough 6s MT early on and now it will be April or longer till you can get one. If people were ready to buy that could mean a lot of lost sales.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Remember it is winter. I think the 6 will pick up a lot of sales in the spring and summer. Hell a lot of people do not even know the 6 is out there. I think the sales in the spting and the summer will be right in line. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts

I know I've stated this in another post on this forum that Mazda is exactly where they thought they would be in North America. Everything is on target. Forty-three percent of the cars that have been built have been sold. As of February 10, 2003....4296 Mazda6's have been sold in the United States. 10,024 have been built Since January 2003...it takes a few days to get from the factory to the showroom. Bada-bing, bada-boom. Compared to Honda numbers we should sheepishly bow our heads for even trying. Over 30,000 Accords are built for the United States every month. So, yeah, you're going to see the new Accords before the 6 -- don't be a sheep. The Accord is commodity cheese and we drive art.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Another point to consider: BMW 3-series only sold 8,389 for January 2003
Subaru Impreza including the WRX only sold 2,640 copies for January 2003
The entire embodiment of Lexus sold only 8,723 vehicles in January 2003
The crappy Hyundai Sonata sold 5,580 cheap Galants for Mitsubishi in Janurary 2003.

The Mazda 6 is doing well as a brand new model with a brand new name with respect to Mazda's overall size as an automaker.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Per Charlie Hughes, President of Mazda's North American Operations:

"The numbers show we're on track [with the 6] better than Nissan Altima was at this time, but it takes time to reach a critical mass,"

Business is cyclical, and with any new product, you have to give it time to build. Awareness and trust are not created in a day. Week or month. More marketing to come in March and April.

·
Registered
980 Posts

My view of this is somewhat redundant. I want the 6 to do well but then again I dont want them to be like the Accords or Camry where you see them almost at every stop light. I want the 6 to be unique so it can remain the eye catcher that it is.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Just wondering, which car usually sells better Camry or Accord. I think it's the Camry here in N.A. but I am not sure. How bout in other parts of the world?

·
Registered
31 Posts

In Australia, the January 2003 sales figures indicates:

4 & 6cl Camry 2281 units
Mazda6 776 units
Accord <100 units

So Camry is way infront, at the moment but the Mazda6 is catching up slowly

·
Registered
79 Posts

I see Mazda6 almost everyday ONLY on Mazda dealership (Galpin Mazda LA). In Los Angeles, i didn't see any :-(
Originally posted by applejax

All the points raised are good, but I have seen a G35 coupe, many 350Z's and quite a few new Accords.  These are all new models, and if things were as bad as they seem, we wouldn't be seeing them at all.  [/b]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts