Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was changed between each model year of the Mazda6. It would be nice to see what was changed from the 2003 to the 2004 and then the 2004 to 2005. Photos would also help. To me the 2003, 2004 and 2005 cars all look the same.

Thanks,

·
Registered
412 Posts
What was changed between each model year of the Mazda6. It would be nice to see what was changed from the 2003 to the 2004 and then the 2004 to 2005. Photos would also help. To me the 2003, 2004 and 2005 cars all look the same.

Thanks,
[/b]
Allright, let me think...

I have an '03, and I love it. Differences:

No external antenna, its built into the rear windshield. I love the clean look, the later years have that stupid thing sticking out of the back of the roof. Never had a problem with reception.

No audio beep for the seatbelt. This isn't that big of a deal, but when I'm just sitting in the car, or when I'm moving it 3 feet on the driveway, or working on the engine... well I like it.

2003 Mazda 6S 3.0L V6 says it has 220 HP. 2004 and up are rated at 215 HP. *shrug*

'03 front grill was black with a chrome mustache (some people dislike, I like it on a dark body color), with an optional accessory of a sport grill which is body color. Later years only have the sport grill. *EDIT* sorry, the '04 also had the black grill with a body color grill as an option. The '05 and '06 have the body color sport grill standard if you get a Sport appearance package.

That's all the differences for the 2003. Only other thing I know is for the '06:
Slightly different lines for the body kit
Black taillights on a v6
I heard something about Lapus blue only being available on a v6 or a 5-door, but I'm not sure about that one.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Actually, the 220hp applies 2003-2005.

Easiest visual cues. 2003 offers yellow and integrated antenna in rear glass.
2004 is the debut of 5-door and wagon.
Moustache is available on all years. Sport package (2004) and sport trim (2005) include sport grille.
2005 changes dash trim to center stack finish.
2006 has more subtle trim. Darker trim in interior, no lid on cupholder.

·
Registered
412 Posts
no lid on cupholder.
[/b]
Oh my god, you're kidding me! The jetson's cup holder is one of the coolest features on my car! That settles it, if my car got wrecked, I would so rather get a used 03 than a new 06.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
One other thing,

The sport package on the '04 SEDAN still carried the chrome mustache grille, while the body-colored grille was a stand-alone option.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The 2003's included lots of applicable service bulletins and recalls. :)

17" wheels became standard on the V6 in 2004. 18's became available in 2006.

The option package groupings changed each year too.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The 2003's included lots of applicable service bulletins and recalls. :)

17" wheels became standard on the V6 in 2004. 18's became available in 2006.

The option package groupings changed each year too.
[/b]
I believe in 2003 the 17" wheels were only standard on the sport package, but I don't like the non-sport bumper so I wouldn't have noticed. :p

I did find that when I bought mine, in order to get the sun roof I also had to get leather seats, heated seats, and heated mirrors, which I didn't want and cost an extra $2,000. For the 04 I heard that all you needed for the sunroof was the bose audio package... and I got that anyway! :swearin: I miss my sunroof. :tear:

·
Registered
792 Posts
The 2006 has better seating and the front fascia and spoiler is a bit more rounded. Taillights are different too.

Is there a sticky some where that lists the changes? If not we should make one.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Actually, the 220hp applies 2003-2005.

Easiest visual cues. 2003 offers yellow and integrated antenna in rear glass.
2004 is the debut of 5-door and wagon.
Moustache is available on all years. Sport package (2004) and sport trim (2005) include sport grille.
2005 changes dash trim to center stack finish.
2006 has more subtle trim. Darker trim in interior, no lid on cupholder.
[/b]

Can you elaborate the differences on this one : 2005 changes dash trim to center stack finish. ???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe the interior door panels changed between 2005 and 2006.

·
Registered
233 Posts
the biggest difference i notice is the chrome mustache and now that everyone is saying it i do notice the antenna.

i could point out the differences between the 2006 but thats not what you asked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
millonater
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing