Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a searchable PDF manual exist for our cars? If not would anyone want a searchable PDF manual? I just purchased the manual and would be willing to create the PDF, while it would be rather large, if anyone feels it would be beneficial...This is for the 2006 Mazda6 and Mazdaspeed6...so it would be potentially helpful to more than just Mazdaspeed 6 owners...Just wanted to see what everyone thinks...

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
I'd be interested in one...even one that isn't searchable....I'm not picky. ;)

You mean the service manual right?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats cool, don't get me, wrong it'll take a while, and I'm not looking for money or anything, I just didn't wanna put all the time in if people weren't really going to use it...I mean this thing is like 2000 pages, but I think all of us could benefit from being able to search as well as just read the manual for different things we may need or want to do in the future...not to mention it isn't more or less time consuming to make it searchable, so I will make it have that feature...glad to see interest, I'll get started, if anyone wants to help me in this endeavor, I would be greatful...The book has logical sections, so it wouldn't be weird to break the files up in that manner or even just create one large file...if anyone has any ideas as what they would like the manual to look like let me know...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not necessarily true...you have to scan as a searchable PDF or convert the PDF with OCR software to enable it to be searchable...but it doesn't matter, its going to be searchable...so the details don't really matter...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Here you guys go. It's compressed as a .rar file because it's over 5mb and that's the limit for storage.

link

That's owners manual. If you mean service manual, I don't have that.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
I'm not sure what help I could offer in the conversion, but don't hesitate to shoot me a message if you think there is something you need help with. I have a nice machine at the office that copies pages automatically into a PDF format...but I don't think that would help you much...;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Naugh, I was talking about the service manual. I just got it in the mail today. I just thought it would be a nice contribution to the mazda6 community by putting the whole thing into PDF format...But I'm going to start working on it...Let me know if anyone has any input...If someone has the manual as well and would like to contribute by splitting it up into sections that would be cool...thanks...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
are you talking service manual or owners manual? the owners manual are posted on the mazdausa website. they are searchable. look under the owern's section. i think you must log in.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
are you talking service manual or owners manual? the owners manual are posted on the mazdausa website. they are searchable. look under the owern's section. i think you must log in.[/b]
Naugh, I was talking about the service manual. I just got it in the mail today. I just thought it would be a nice contribution to the mazda6 community by putting the whole thing into PDF format...But I'm going to start working on it...Let me know if anyone has any input...If someone has the manual as well and would like to contribute by splitting it up into sections that would be cool...thanks...[/b]

Are you reading the thread? ;)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Are you reading the thread? ;)[/b]
not really. most of the posts on this forum are noise. i've learned to tune it out and contribute my own. :boobs:

good to see the title updated to reflect service manual. :ninja:

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I do not have the capability to help you or I definitely would. But I am really interested in having this available and would really like to throw a few $ your way for being able to have that sucker on my desk top.

Naugh, I was talking about the service manual. I just got it in the mail today. I just thought it would be a nice contribution to the mazda6 community by putting the whole thing into PDF format...But I'm going to start working on it...Let me know if anyone has any input...If someone has the manual as well and would like to contribute by splitting it up into sections that would be cool...thanks...[/b]

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
. . .convert the PDF with OCR software to enable it to be searchable..[/b]
using OCR you'll probably have problems the graphics & charts. the software will probably try to capture everything as text. there may be some high speed software, but good OCR software still isn't great and isn't cheap. the free with scanner purchase software is about worthless.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You let me figure out the details, I have a ton of software to work with, I think adobe acrobat professional should be sufficient, i mean the meat of this whole thing is to get the manual out there, if the searching isn't perfect I highly doubt anyone is going to complain that much and for your information the scanning is returning everything on the page, boxes, diagrams whatever you wanna see...so I'm not following where you are going with your statement...I've already done about 15 pages so far, not a lot, but its moving forward...no doubt this is going to be a daunting task...and it will take a few months to finally finish it, but i think the fruits of the labor will be appreciated by everyone when its finally done...i hope at least...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not necessarily true...you have to scan as a searchable PDF or convert the PDF with OCR software to enable it to be searchable...but it doesn't matter, its going to be searchable...so the details don't really matter...[/b]
Yeah you're right, my bad. I work with PDFs alot, but the're mosty searchable, not sure what I was thinking. :blush:

·
Registered
307 Posts
The link doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The link is just for the owner's manual anyways, if you want to look at it, i'm sure you can just pull it out of your car...I'm working on getting the actual 2000 or so page service manual into pdf format...I'll update once I have more to share...

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
I highly doubt anyone is going to complain[/b]
I sure as hell won't...

...no doubt this is going to be a daunting task...and it will take a few months to finally finish it, but i think the fruits of the labor will be appreciated by everyone when its finally done...i hope at least...[/b]
I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's a safe bet to say we all will. That is no simple task..converting 2K pages + into a searchable PDF of a manual that costs over $200, on your own time....for free. I think it's cool you even thought of it...instead of just buying the book for yourself and not ever giving it a thought. Most people wouldn't have the patience to do it, and definately not for free. These are the reasons forums like these are so valuable...thanks!

:cheers::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 135 Posts