Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my copy in the mail yesterday and the Mazda6 was named to C&D's 10 best list. The car used during the competition was a 6s with a 5 speed with all the goodies. Seems the reviewers really liked the power, ride, suspension, and materials. This is a nice win for Mazda.

Other cars making the list are the Acura RSX, Chevy Corvette, BMW 3 series, Infiniti G35, Subaru WRX, Ford Focus, Nissan 350Z, Porsche Boxster, and Honda Accord.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 makes Car & Driver's 10 Best 2003'

Damn, the Honda Accord made on that list again.

Oh well, you can't hide the fact that the Accord is one great car. It may be different flavour than the M6 but it belongs in the top 10.

I just wish they take design into more consideration for Car of the Year award. We all know looks is subjective but how many years has the Accord been known to have an oustanding design. If I recall, never. There has never been a year that I can recall where the journalists actually rave about the body design.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Why am I always the last one to get my subscription? Grrrr...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

don't worry...i haven't gotten mine either, tho i'm looking forward to it now!!!!!

-yasir

·
Registered
319 Posts

And they keep picking the Focus.....

The Focus is a nice driving car, but I think it has been proven that the quality control on the American Focus is just horrible. I don't know if that means anything to their rankings, but even with all that is great about the Focus, I don't think many people would ever consider buying one. IMHO the Protege is just as good a driving car as the Focus, looks better, is WAY more reliable, and a better choice. I'm not saying the Protege should be a 10Best, as it shouldn't, but if the Protege shouldn't be on the list, I don't think the Focus should be. But I'm not a C&D editor....

So, what were the cars displaced? Looks like the BMW 5 Series, and which others?

Edit: Audi A4, Honda S2000. Replaced with Nissan 350Z, Mazda6, and Infiniti G35.

The Accord is a fantastic car, almost to the point of being legendary, design not withstanding, it is probably one of the best cars ever made, and it 100% deserves to be on this list.

·
Registered
319 Posts

I also do NOT understand why the Miata only makes the list every once in awhile. Is the Boxster a great car, oh yeah, but is it $30,000 better than a Miata, no way in hell.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Jerome81

And they keep picking the Focus.....

The Focus is a nice driving car, but I think it has been proven that the quality control on the American Focus is just horrible.  I don't know if that means anything to their rankings, but even with all that is great about the Focus, I don't think many people would ever consider buying one.  IMHO the Protege is just as good a driving car as the Focus, looks better, is WAY more reliable, and a better choice.  I'm not saying the Protege should be a 10Best, as it shouldn't, but if the Protege shouldn't be on the list, I don't think the Focus should be.  But I'm not a C&D editor....[/b]
They had stuff about this all over the news a little while ago over here...All the magazines are afraid to be honest or face the wrath of the car companies, who just happen to be their advertisers. :sarc

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I agree the Protege should've beat the Focus out. Like anything else in these mags, these choices are fairly arbitrary. Let's face it folks, cars generate an emotional reaction. If we all looked rationally at them, there would only be a handful of rational car choices available. How boring would that be? ;)

J

·
0 Posts

For those who get their C&D late, don't worry. I consistantly get mine about the 20th of each month.

GO MAZDA!!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts

I don't think I would ever want to own a Ford Focus. The amount of recalls that car is plagued with my god. If recalls are that many, I wonder how many times you have to bring the car in for warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

My biggest gripe about the Focus remaining on the list isn't reliability. C&D is upfront about stating that reliability plays no part in the selection process. The selection process includes all winners from the previous year, if still available. They then look at all brand new or substantially improved models that cost under $66,000 USD.

What gets me upset though is the cars which were winners last year and reconsidered this year that were displaced in favor of the Focus. We're talking about the Audi A4, BMW 5 series and Honda S2000. There is no way the Focus should be considered better than these cars. Price, value, market segment are not factors in the selection process for 10 best list. I've driven a Focus several times, but found the seat to be not very comfortable, and the shifter odd feeling.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Talking again about the Focus (not that it really matters that much); but just 2 months ago in Car and Driver, the Focus placed 4th out of 10 cars in that class. Beating it were the Toyota Corolla 3rd, Hyundai Elantra 2nd, and Mazda Protege 1st. Yet in 10Best, the Focus suddenly becomes one of the 10Best cars that exist right now??? Please.....

Unless there is something extremely different between the Focus SE (tested 2 months ago); and the ZTS (which I assume was the car tested for 10Best); I just don't understand how C&D could do what it did.

I usually have a good respect for this award, but this thinking makes me lose some of it. The Focus is a good car, that drives well, and even not considering its extremely poor quality, there are other cars out there that are better than the Focus at what the Focus does best.

Cling, cling. $0.02 in the jar.... ;)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I've driven a lot of these cars, and IMO, the only car that is as fun as the Focus (in that class) is the Protege. So if it's stricly a war of driving dynamics, I can see how the Focus comes out on top.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Got mine today...

WHOOOOO....MAZDA! MAZDA! MAZDA...

Almost convinced my parents into getting me one...SO CLOSE...:)

·
Registered
211 Posts

the magazine (Car and Driver)...not the car...YET...:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts