Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW YORK, April 16, 2003—Ford Motor Company announced plans today at the New York International Auto Show to continue the momentum of its 2004 "Year of the Car" well into 2005 with the launch of an all-new sedan. The 2006 Ford Futura is aimed squarely at the heart of the midsize car segment and will be marketed in both size and price between the Ford Focus and the upcoming Ford Five Hundred.

Featuring breakthrough interior spaciousness and cutting-edge design, the Futura will boast world-class I-4 and V-6 engines, as well as a range of fuel-efficient, modern transmissions, including manual, automatic, and a continuously variable transmission (CVT). It's also slated to become Ford Motor Company's second "full" hybrid vehicle.

The Futura is unmistakably Ford. Its clean, smooth, and clutter-free design borrows cues from the acclaimed Ford 427 concept car, which is currently touring the North American auto show circuit, and various other landmark Ford Division sedans from the 1960s. On the production vehicle, those cues will include a vertical and linear front fascia and a powerful and thick bent bar grille.

Inside, the Futura benefits from an unrelenting commitment to vehicle interior leadership and reflects a tripling of Ford Motor Company's investment in interior design.

"Futura will be that rare midsize sedan that oozes style but doesn't sacrifice roominess, comfort, trunk space—or affordability."
J Mays, Ford Motor Company vice president of Design

The Futura will offer as standard a 2.3-liter I-4 engine, based on the company's new global I-4 engine architecture. Fitted with a counter-rotating balance shaft for smoothness, the Futura will feature four valves per cylinder and variable intake valve timing (VVT) for good low-end torque, strong high-end power, improved fuel economy, and low emissions. An optional 3.0-liter Duratec V-6 engine also will be available across the model lineup.

Among 65 new products to be introduced in North America by Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury during the next five years, the Futura is a key element of Ford Motor Company's aggressive product-led revitalization. It's built on a new vehicle architecture that will form the basis for up to 10 new products and 800,000 units of volume across all three brands within the next three years.

The 2006 Ford Futura will go on sale in late 2005. Additional launches in the 2004 "Year of the Car" include the all-new Ford Freestyle seven-passenger crossover vehicle, the Ford Five Hundred large sedan, and the all-new, next-generation Ford Mustang.

------

It is based off of the Mazda6 platform.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda6 Gets A Twin In 2005

Yeah there's a thread about this, in this forum, about 3 pages long. And twin? Not in looks. Looks nothing like the 6.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

The Futura will be a younger sibling who outgrows its older sibling, but isn't as good looking.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

To bad it seems to be a hunch back car - the c-pillar extending , almost beginning after the rear wheel.... Like that bigger Lexus... blahhh

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

To bad it seems to be a hunch back car - the c-pillar extending , almost beginning after the rear wheel.... Like that bigger Lexus... blahhh

·
Registered
319 Posts

Not half as cool as the new Chrysler 300C.
http://www.car-data.com/xpage.preview/pre....sler&model=300c EDIT: MAN WHY DON'T LINKS EVER WORK CORRECTLY? TO VIEW, CLICK HERE THEN REMOVE THE "AMP;" PART BETWEEN "CHRYSLER&....."

I don't know what it is, but I'm liking American brands more and more in the last few years. You still won't find me driving a Grand Am, or a Taurus, but cars such as the Cadillac CTS, Ford Thunderbird, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Hummer H2, Lincoln Navigator/Aviator they are all cars I'd consider looking at. The 300C is just plain sweet.

I personally think this is a great move for Chrysler. Americans can't do japanese cars as well as the japanese, so why keep trying? Do what you do best. Classically styled RWD V8 road machines. These are the modern day 57 Chevys, and I truly believe Americans WANT these machines.

No offense to the japanese, I still love cars like the 6 and the Accord, but the 300C is just 10 times cooler than either one. Passion and originality sell a lot of cars. For the past 25 years American cars have lacked that (as well as quality); but they're finding their way again, and I think the future looks bright. I believe Ford will do well with the Futura and Five Hundred, if they can make them a well made car. GM still needs some work, though the new Grand Prix is a good start. But nothing gives as much lust as that Chrysler. RWD. HEMI V8. 340hp. Mmmmmm.

Oh and I forgot the Cadillac XLR. Holy cow! The standard of the world just might be on its way back. Forget that new Mercedes SL500 (which I really love); the XLR is fantastically styled, the interior is fabulous, its got gizmos, and its just pure 100% American style. I love it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts