Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen one or done one for either the i or s? I would really like to know what our power curve looks like., it would help give us a better idea of what performance gains we could expect from things like CAI and exhaust mods. Have any of you guys at Duratec performance done one yet as a base line?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 Dyno'

We have not had a chance to dyno a mazda6 yet. I have spoken with two owners in Las Vegas though. one with a Manual 6s and one with an Automatic. The Manual guy was supposed to dyno his car soon, and then let me know the results... The automatic owner is whos car we will be using for our development. We will have them dyno before and after mods on the same dyno... When we acquire our 6i, we will do a baseline dyno and dynos after every mod we perform on it..... Dynoing is one of the ways to tell if a performance increase has been seen, the other way is 1/4 mile times, but I like dynos better.....

Nikolas

·
Registered
468 Posts

just dyno'd my 6.
i put down 176.3 [email protected] rpm
and 172.0 [email protected] 4800 rpm

3950 miles on it. bone stock v6 5 spd. that was removed air filter.

best with the filter in was 174.9 hp and 169.4 torque. i will try and scan tomorrow.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Isn't the 6s supposed to pull 220hp?
Seems a bit below spec or is it wheels vs engine reading?

-- Rainchild

·
Registered
468 Posts

it's at the wheels..usually on a front wheel drive it's 15 to 25% drivetrain loss. pending manufacture.

·
Registered
514 Posts

I'm surprised. 20% seems like a lot to me for an FWD car with a manual tranny. AFAIK, BMW does better with their RWD platform... something to be said for their amazing transmissions. I'm a little sad...

-Alt

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I saw in a swedish magazine that a I4 sport lost about 7%!!! Someone forgot to put grease on the gears? :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

BMW still loses about ~12% through the drivetrain, they make it up with the gearing and a really efficient engine. Be happy that its the HP not the torque that took thw worst hit, you can usually get back more HP with breaker mods than torque. We obviously need to see several more Dyno's to get a good feel for the average. I plan on doing mine once I get the OEM 17inch wheels on. That way we can see how close I am and see if the redline tranny products really do give you back 1-3% of your power.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Now, are RWD cars more efficienct or or less efficient over FWD cars? I could have swore RWD cars were more efficient, which would explain BMW's lower loss percentage. Or am I a total idiot, and wrong about BMWs being RWD? I dunno, the hockey game is on, and I had a rough day at work. :D

·
Registered
514 Posts

All things being equal, an FWD should be more efficient because there's less drivetrain (rotating mass) to twist. But there are so many variables that this is just something to consider, not a rule (BMW is a good example of the exception to the so-called rule).

Brillo: HP is a mathematical result of torque. They are not independent of each other. The only reason why HP and torque figures appear to have different drivetrain efficiencies related to them is due to where their peak figures are located. If you look at the whole power (or torque)-band then you will see that the losses occur throughout the rev range and not just the peak values.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I do understand the relationship between HP and torque, but if we are to assume a 20% HP loss at peak, which is how I read the post, then there should be no problem with assuming the same for torque. The fly wheel quotes of 220 HP and 192 lb/TQ are being measured at peak last time I checked. Maybe I am miss understanding you. I really do want to see the chart though, that will give a better picture of the power band.

·
Registered
514 Posts

What I meant about peak figures is that the RPM points for the peak figures are different for the tq and hp (both at the wheels and the crank); so they can't be directly compared.

-Alt

·
Registered
268 Posts

Hmmm...I just got my mazda6s V6 manual Dec 31. By your dyno numbers it seems that the crank hp by mazda might be a little overated. Using your dyno runs with filter in place and with 15% powerloss through tranny I come up with... 206 peak HP at the crank and 199 lb/ft of torque. With 20% loss, I come up with... 219 peak HP at the crank and 212 lb/ft of torque. At 15% crank, HP is overated a lot while crank TQ is just 7 lbs underated. 15% loss is a more believable figure I think. So hopefully, when more v6 cars get dynoed they will show about 188 hp at the wheels. If not, I think we should start complaining.

Originally posted by White 6s

just dyno'd my 6.

best with the filter in was 174.9 hp and 169.4 torque. i will try and scan tomorrow.[/b]

·
Registered
391 Posts

Originally posted by White 6s

just dyno'd my 6.

best with the filter in was 174.9 hp and 169.4 torque. i will try and scan tomorrow.[/b]
Those are very low figures. Anybody know altima, accord, or camry's HP and Torque to the wheels?

·
Registered
577 Posts

Ed,

What size rims did you have on your 6 when you dynoed it? Do you have the stock 17" rims? I have seen dyno numbers go down when people use larger diameter rims, especially if the larger rim is also heavier. I know on my personal Cougar, when I go from my stock 15" rims to my heavier, larger, 18" rims, I lose about 15hp on the dyno.

Does anyone know what the weight difference is between the 17" Sport rims and the smallest size rim/tire avaiable for the Mazda6? This would be a good thing for us to test out at our dyno sessions....now we will just have to get some stock 16" rims (or whatever the smaller rims are for the car) and do some dyno runs back to back.

I also know that Ed emailed me and told me that his engine was running VERY rich above 5000rpms which hurts power...I think he said around 10:1... The ideal Air/Fuel ratio on a naturally aspirated engine is generally around 12.5:1.... Ed would see a nice power gain if he were able to tune his engine to run optimally. We are waiting for DiabloSport to release their product called The Predator which is an OBD-II tuning device. As soon as we hear from Diablo then we will have them in our store.

Nikolas

·
Registered
468 Posts

they were stock 16" alloys. not the 17" sport package.

i tried first pull in 3rd gear.

and the 2nd pull in 4th gear.

the 4th gear pull was about 6 whp lower.

so the rest of the pulls were done in 3rd.

how hard would it be to wire up a apex super afc or the liking? are the wiring ecu diagrams avail?

i'm still trying to get a scanner to post the charts.

·
Registered
468 Posts

also another tidbit.

my torque was alil on par.

but i don't understand why everyone says hp is low. prior to dyno'ing i was guessing mid 180's

if you look at it. a 20% drivetrain loss (i know 15% is "nice ideal") but 20 is not bad.

20% on the nose is right 176 ish. i was happy with the results. when i dyno'd my civic i came with in 3whp guess.

i guess 163whp and pulled 166. so i forecasted 180ish for this car.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts