Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how the M6 diesel owners liked their cars. From the UK web site, it looks like the car has 133 HP and 300 Nm torque, which translates to like ~220 ft/lb..thats a lot of torque! If my conversion is right thats more than my V6! Hows the gas mileage? Whats the 0-60 on that? I wish we could get Diesel variants in the states.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda6 Diesel

Diesel engine always have a huge amount of torque comparing to the same displacement on a regular gasoline engine. They are great workhorse engines for towing boats and hauling freights. I wouldn't have one simply because they are messier than gasoline engine and the fume gets into the cockpit eventually and stays in.

·
Registered
230 Posts

If a diesel version of the 6 was available in Canada, I would definately have bought it. My parents drive a VW TDI Jetta, and let me tell you that all the conceptions that people have about diesels (smelly, slow, messy, smoky, noisy,etc, etc, etc) are absolutely false where modern car diesels are concerned. They've got plenty of power, no smoke or odour to speak of, are nearly as silent as gasoline engines, not to metnion the fact that they've got incredible fuel economy. It's no wonder they're so popular in Europe (in certain countries, nearly 60% of all new cars sold are diesel); and so very unfortunate that they get the undeserved bad rap here in North America. My GT-i4 isn't doing too bad on the fuel economy front, but I'd jump at the chance to get the fuel economy of a diesel.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Don't diss diesel power, they are more than just boat towers. Did you know, this year, the Bonneville Salt Flat's record for a diesel truck (non-semi) was broken? The Sidewinder Dakota, a 2003 Dodge Dakota with a Cummins Turbo diesel wedged into it, it hit 222 MPH at Bonneville, while still getting 21.24 MPG

Banks Engineering took the 5.9L Cummins turbo I6 from 393 HP to 735 HP with 1300 ft-lbs of torque. Putting a large water tank in the bed, to cool the intercoolers, it also helped to balance out the truck to 55% up front and 45% in the rear, weight distribution.

The Sidewinder holds the title of the world's fastest pickup, plus it's 100% street legal.

Diesels are becoming larger performers nowadays, even Lotus is considering building a lightweight diesel supercar.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Though - remember that the Jetta was a TDI. There is no turbo on the 6. Or?

But Diesels are better now. But they still have very low revs and they still sound a little "ohh a taxi"...

·
Registered
8 Posts

Excuse me Blackbird but you should change your way of thinking of modern Diesel engine such as MAZDA6's.
First my MAZDA6 MZRCD has a very brilliant 136 hp common rail TURBO engine.
Then it's a very smooth and in the same time a very competitive engine. Noise level is quite supportable and fuel cunsumption very low considering both performances and weight of the vehicle.
My car has today nearly 5000 kms and my average cunsumption is 6.7 L/100 kms.
So i hotly recommend you to test a MAZDA6 Diesel you should be quite pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

:) Yeah I know they are good.. What i didn't know was that it was a Turbo - my mistake :).

But they still sound like Taxis :p :p Even if it's more silent. :p

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I also thought that there are two different diesel engines for the 6 - true or false?

·
Registered
36 Posts

There are two different Diesel engines in Europe - both have 310 Nm torque one with 121 HP and a 136 HP one. But nobody seem to know where the different in detail is between both motors
PS both turbo engines with 2 Liters -

·
Registered
22 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 Diesel'

Originally posted by Ridley

There are two different Diesel engines in Europe - both have 310 Nm torque  one  with 121 HP and a 136 HP one.  But nobody seem to know where the different in detail is between both motors  
PS both turbo engines with 2 Liters  -  
It is more a marketing thing rather than a technology issue. The 120hp engine is available only in the low-range model of the Mazda 6 ("Confort" here in Portugal). You can only get the 136hp engine if you take more equipment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts