Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading a post from you guys that stated there wasn't much room in the egine bay of the V6 3.0 for much in the way of a cold air intake, now that you guys have had the time to go through the cars in more detail, is that still the case? I haven't poked around to much, but from a glance I would say there is some room to work with around the air intake in the V6, sure its not the space you see in the I-4 (hell, you could through another engine in there) but I figure its enough for the intake. Any thoughts? How far along are you on the intakes? Do you guys have an idea of the order in which you will release parts?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 Cold Air Intake'

We havent had a chance yet to take a look at another V6 Mazda6 since the SEMA show. However, we have had a Mazda6s owner contact us who is willing to leave their car with us for three weeks. This will enable us to develop a Cold Air Intake, Headers, and Y-Pipe. It will take us the three weeks alone to develop and test the prototypes. Once we validate everything, then we can go into production on them.

We dont expect to have the car in our shop until January sometime, so no parts will be released until February at the earliest. For the intake, we will be able to at least put a large cone filter in the same area as the stock air box, but we would prefer to put the cone filter lower in the engine bay, if not in the fender area, so as to induct cooler air. If an aftermarket intake system places the cone filter in the same part of the engine bay as the the stock setup, it is not a cold air intake. Many companies still market their intakes this way when in it is not the truth. Hopefully their is room under the stock air box to route the piping to the fender area.

Also,

we have spoken with a local Mazda dealership about a joint effort on a Mazda6i. Hopefully they like our proposal. If they do, we will be ordering a Yellow Mazda6i for product development and marketing purposes.

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the info. I realize you guys are going all out for the I-4 first, for one they are the majority of the market and the most produced, as well as the easier of the two to work on. In addition, I'm not really hurting for power with the V6, just hurting for somewhere to use it :) I'd be happy to help if I was in Cali, too bad I'm in Texas. About all I really want to do is add a CAI and a upgraded exhaust, and I assume the exhaust will work for both engines.

·
Registered
577 Posts

We would like to get started on the V6 too....sooner the better in my opinion!!

For the Exhaust...I realy dont know. Mazda may have designed their exhaust systems so that the piping is the same after the Header/Y-pipe dump.... It is unusual for companies to do this, so more than likely exhaust companies will have to make two different versions of a cat-back system..one for the V6 and one for the 4 banger...

I really need to get my hands on some drawings from a local Mazda dealer. They have blown up graphics of the various systems on cars....Picking one up for the Exhaust would really help out....

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

STILL GOOD NEWS 2 ME!!!

i'm one of the v6 drivers here too. a CAI would be a gr8 start on my 6. the power is nice on the v6, but i know it can be gr8ly improved with tuning as do other makes/models. but since the I-4 is wut most peeps have tho, so i guess those will be 1st inline for modifications. but when u do the v6 shit, i'm all over it. i wish i was in cali also (hint, hint).

maybe other accessories will be in the worx also besides the performance parts. like the sports grille, clear side marker lens, emblems, etc., etc.

thanx in advance DuratecPerformance!

Here's a link to my future rims. ;)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

WhoDiddy : You really wanted the MPS uh? :D

Those are very nice. Isn't there similar wheels on one of the ClubAtenza photos... A white one...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

:) Just thought that because those rims are quite near the looks of the MPS rims.

·
Registered
468 Posts

Nikolas,
Was wondering if my pics i sent helped you in any way? thanks.

--ed

·
Registered
315 Posts

I can't say I agree that the I4 is going to be the tuners engine.
From what I've been reading on this website, its seems the enthusiasts (and most likely tuners) have choosen the V6 as the engine of choice for this car. Why wouldn't you?
The I4 is nice but not nearly the torque and HP of the V6. By reading this forum it seems that most of the folks who will want go faster parts have bought the V6 to start with. The same thing is true in the Mits Eclipse line.
4 Cylinder engines are not the tuners choice when the same car is available with a 6 UNLESS the 4 is a turbo, in which case, the turbo model becomes the enthusiasts engine choice as turbo's are a lot of fun to mod.
But in this case of the 6, the engine to get and to modify is the V6.
This V6 has some higher end compression but is tuned for lower octane fuel. There appears to be great room for improvement in the area of timing advance and greater a/f usage. 3 normally aspirated liters will have greater potential than 2.3 normally aspirated liters.

T

·
Registered
468 Posts

in reguards to that. it's gonna be tough for the 6..yeah duratec is making headers...as per exhausts will be made plentily for both the 4 and 6. but what's gonna be tough is the space. u see how much room a 6 cyl engine bay has over the 4? i'm planning to do the traditional intake header and exhaust. maybe vortech will find a way to squeeze a charger in for the 6 cyl. my only gripe is the labor. how much will it cost to install a set of headers? or squeeze a blower in there. i think the mod potential will be much greater for the 4 cylinder because of this. we'll see tho.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Don't forget, we in North America are the only ones with the V6, as far as I know our friends on the board on both sides of the pond only get the i-4, so simply by economics I expect there to be more R&D dollars going into performance mods for the i-4 since there will be more warm bodies (except those of you in Northern Europe :)) driving the 4 banger......I think there is enough room under the V6 for a CAI and a exhaust header, but thats about it. There is alot of room in the bumber area, but I don't know what you could do with that other than a large radiator/intercooler. Fitting a turbo in the V6 would be tough, but hey thats what we pay people like Duratec Performance to do, think through all the hard stuff :)

·
Registered
464 Posts

OMG tubo V6 would be NICE!

I just hope the CAI doesnt sit too low or comes with a water bypass valve if it does so when it arrives, so as not to lock n destroy the engine in extreme wet weather.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Granted,

The V6 is going to make more power than the I4 with bolt on mods. It already has a 60hp advantage go begin with. I love the V6 engines, dont get me wrong. With the right set of mods and tuning, it wont be hard for us at DuratecPerformance to get another 30-50hp out of the engine.

When it comes to Forced induction, the 2.3L is the way to go. A turbo kit will be much easier to fabricate and install than on the V6. The cost for forged internals will be less as the 2.3L engine will be in just about every car offered by mazda, so the volume of parts sold will drive down the prices on parts like that. A nicely built, boosted, 2.3L engine will easily outpower a naturally aspirated V6. We are working on acquiring a 2.3L model....you can rest assured we will boost the crap out of the engine after building it the right way, 300+ Hp should be easy to reach, if not substantially more....

But anyways...The V6 is the easy way to go to get HP and Torque off the lot.... for die hard power junkies who have no limit to the power they want, the 2.3L will be the way to go as the mod and power potential is VERY high....

R&D on the V6 CAI and Header is slated to begin in Late january.... It will take us 2-3 weeks to get functional prototypes out....and then the items go into production from there... Before and After dyno tests will be done as always....

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

good news for me. can't wait till my V6 is pushin well over 300+ HP, along with the rev limit upped and the governer deactivated/reprogramed. i'll have a wolf in sheep's clothing. ;)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Nikolas,

I just curious, will the V6 CAI extend down into the bumper out of the engine bay, or will you use a heatshield with a shorter tube? I don't know if you guys have even gotten that far along in thinking about what to do yet, I just wondered what you thought of the room issue, I see a ton of room in the bumper between the radiator and the grille

·
Registered
577 Posts

Until we can take a VERY close look at what is underneath the stock airbox I cant really answer that question. If there is room underneath it like on my wifes Protege5, then we can do a really nice cold air setup where the filter is moved into the bumper or fender. If there is no where for the filter to go, then we will just have to place it in the same location as the stock airbox, but supply a heatshield that seals nicely with the hood. I do have to say that the stock panel filter is one of the best factory units I have seen. To me, it doesnt look like it is made out of paper, but cotton instead. I do think that we will see a decent increase in power though with a nice 5-6" cone filter that smooths the air out coming into the engine. Tests have been done that shows removing a filter from the engine causes turbulance in the airflow which will actually drop HP numbers compared to running a well designed cone filter.

Nikolas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda6 Cold Air Intake

Just wait until a full header, y pipe, and exhaust is made. Gains seen on the 2.5 duratec are about 15-20 hp at the wheel with all 3 combos. Nikolas is a great guy to deal with.

Hey Nik-this is RiverRojo from NECO. Guess you can figure out my future?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 Cold Air Intake'

I am usually the first to jump on the aftermarket bandwagon, but this time I think I will stay bone stock and hold onto my 6s v6 until the Mazda MPS comes out. I think it would be great to tune my 6 into the 250+ HP range, but with a 280+ bone stock model supposedly coming out next year, I will sit tight on this one. I must say however, if a chip comes out that removes the speed limiter, I won't be able to resist.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts