Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just find out from a parallel importer of Mazda that the japan version of the 2.3L has 178BHP!!! :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 - atenza from japan has 178BHP'

Originally posted by applejax

and...?[/b]
Thinking of selling my 2.0L to a friend and getting the 178BHP 2.3L.

I do not consider the 160HBP 2.3L a good buy, but now it's different.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

The JDM 2.3 is rated at 178 PS. (PS= pferdestarke or Metric HP) 1PS =.986 HP so 178 PS = 175 HP. And there is always the debate if everybody test/rates the engines the same. But most times the JDM engines are stronger due to less polution equiptment. Funny how Japan promotes "green" everywhere so much, except at home.

Cars exported by Mazda to other countries are different (engine/emissions/ECU) then JDM. HP ratings if they are different run (High to Low) Japan, Europe, US. Australia used to be just below Japan but recent emissions changes have brought them in line with Europe, I believe.

·
Registered
577 Posts

I am very confident that if/when we are able to tune these U.S. 2.3L engines for 91 octane gas, that we will gain back some of the horsepower lost. From what I have read, the engines are nearly identical, except for tuning.

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by DuratecPerformance

I am very confident that if/when we are able to tune these U.S. 2.3L engines for 91 octane gas, that we will gain back some of the horsepower lost.  From what I have read, the engines are nearly identical, except for tuning.

Nikolas[/b]
would the same hold true for the V6 since other cars use the block and achieve high numbers with premium gas?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda6 - atenza from japan has 178BHP

I would think so. I believe when Porsche originally sent the engine to Ford it was making 250hp - then cats and 87 octane gas came into play. :(

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

This is not that engine. New heads, pistons, cams, intake, ECU. impossible to compare the two.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

I would think so.  I believe when Porsche originally sent the engine to Ford it was making 250hp - then cats and 87 octane gas came into play. :([/b]
Did Porshe send the original engine as 2.5L or 3.0L? The reason I ask is because the Contour was the first car to get the Duratec and I heard that it was shruken to fit in that engine bay (god forbid Ford to design it right in the first place). BUT, if it were 2.5L @ 250BHP, that would be some serious output N/A?!?!?! Also, is the 250 number devoid of any smog equipment, because obviously that is quite restrictive.

S

·
0 Posts

Hi, How was Porsche involved in the development of the Duratec?

·
Registered
577 Posts

Steve,

I wouldnt quite go THATTTT far.. they did help, that is for sure.. Ford had some input, you can be assured of that. But yes, Ford went to Porsche for their expertise, etc, etc, etc......

brillo,

And yes, the same thing can be said for the V6. When we are able to tune the V6 engine for 91+ octane fuel, you can expect to get more horsepower.....

Nikolas

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Well, I would go that far. Even if the basic design ideas were in fact Ford, when you use Porsche engineering to give it some good characteristics - then I'd say it was developed rather by Porsche than by Ford.

Anyway, once we start talking about the Duratec in the Mazda, suddenly I'd rather say it was developed by Mazda. Cause what they put on the engine, rather than its basic design, is what gives it the characteristics it has.

:)

·
Registered
577 Posts

Cause what they put on the engine, rather than its basic design, is what gives it the characteristics it has.[/b]

True..... :)

Now we just need to put some of our stuff on a V6 engine to give it even more character!!! hehehe.. After looking at the engineering schematics for the exhaust system again, I really cant wait to see what our headers will do for the engine... 2.5L engines were gaining 15 whp from the headers.. so 20-30 isnt out of the question on these refined 3.0L engines...

Would you go so far as to out one of those stickers on your car?

"Powered by Porsche"

heheheheh

Nikolas

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by DuratecPerformance
Would you go so far as to out one of those stickers on your car?

"Powered by  Porsche"
Nikolas[/b]
Nah...but that's just because in my eyes Mazda is a better car than a Porsche... You see, the Mazda is everything that is right for me in a car - sporty, good-looking, well-handling...but yet, I can drive it to a business meeting without blushing.

I couldn't do that with a Porsche, you know! (And not with such a sticker on my Mazda either... :D )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts