Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm Indeed... I don't know when they did the tests but Autotrader.com has the Mazda6's bumper test score rated as "Poor" and the IIHS safety rating as "Acceptable". This disappoints me greatly. I was expecting the 6 to at least get a "Best Pick" for safety considering how much they actually put into it. Are there any, more complete, safety figures out there for the 6?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 - Acceptable Safety?'

I went to nhtsa.dot.gov It has not been tested yet. I think the car will do just fine for a side impact or a head on crash. For the bumper test I do not give a shit. If I back in to one of those small poles I would fell like a ass. :D

·
Registered
980 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda6 - Acceptable Safety?

Yeah, you can't blame the car for that. Although, it would be nice to know that the car would be alright after little bumps.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Euro-NCAP (www.euroncap.com) which tests european auto safety doesn't list the Mazda 6 as having been tested, nor does the NHTSA or the IIHS.

Given Mazda's commitment to safety and the "triple-H" safety cell construction, SIPS and past test scores seem surprising considering that it hasn't even been tested.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quick note: I emailed a question about how Autotrader.com reports crashworthiness even if the vehicle hasn't been tested. Example: Autotrader also shows the brand new (literally) Saab 9-3 with poor bumper test rating and acceptable crashworthiness. In the same note they have not mentioned a thing about the 2003 Cadillac CTS--no data. And it's been out for over a year.

Anyway, I'll let everyone know what I find out.

·
Registered
220 Posts

OK, one more note. I've been meaning to check on this anyway and since I just mentioned it in my previous post... Cadillac CTS seems like an incredible waste of money for a "near-luxury" car that only offers three items over the Mazda 6: dual climate control, rear-wheel drive and on-star. That's not alot of value for $5000 and an ugly mug. Additionally, I got to "race" against one and everyone will be pleased to know that the 6 is not only more attractive, costs less, but can 0-60 faster.

·
Registered
517 Posts

Mazda no doubt have conducted their own crash tests, vehicle vs. barrier and computer simulations, I'm sure. As others have already mentioned, though, no independent test firms seem to have chosen to test the '6 yet (or, at least, the results haven't been released).

"Bumper tests" are geared towards coming up with repair cost indices for the insurance industry. A car could sustain awful damage in a slow pole impact, but in the process of self-destructing do an excellent job of attenuating the impact. Feel better? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts