Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have Mazda 6 Sedan 2005 1.8i 16v (Duratec HE L8 1798cc 16v) with Mitsubishi ECU. The engine is in perfect condition, maintained in Mazda official dealer service and has passed around 50000km so far.

I have tried remapping the ECU with Piassini Engineering maps, while there were no modifications done to the engine. For my disapointment, there were no performance improvemens at all. The acceleration times in 3-rd gear from 60km/h to 120km/h, 4th gear from 60km/h to 120km/h and 5-th gear from 80km/h to 150km/h were the same before and after the remap. We also tried measuring time I needed to pass a 5km long part of a certain straight highway. It took the same time to pass the exactly same part of the highway before and after the chip tuning. I passed around 300km after the tuning and then I did the measurements, so the ECU can calibrate the new map parameters according to the fuel(Eurosuper 90+ octane fuel), air humidity and temperature. There is no accurate dyno nearby, otherwise I was going to make the measurements on the dyno.

So I complained and the guys from Piassini set my stock map and gave my money back.

After that I did some cheap and DIY mods:
- K&N 57i CAI kit + alloy insulated air box with cold air duct
- Advanced timing ignition mod (+ 4 degrees).
- +0.5bar increased fuel pressure
- Grounded throttle body (this doesn't boost top HP at all, just makes acceleration smooth)

My Mazda6 acceleration:

Anyway, I want to squeeze some more performance and for that purpose I'm planing to put a Weapon-R 4-2-1 exhaust manifold with resonated decat pipe, increase the diameter of the exhaust down pipe from 48mm to 60mm and put a quiet high-flow silencer.

Finally, I would like to find a proper ECU maps that will give real performance boost at WOT. I would like more power in mid revs, rather than high.

So can you guys recommend me a good chip-tuning house that can do the proper tuning for my engine?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
There's not really much you can do with the normally aspirated 1.8L engine via tuning alone. If you want to make more power of significance, then you will need to change some hard parts. The most effective way is via forced induction, or other oxygen adder, like nitrous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@FORDZA

I'm aware about the benefits of the forced induction...But installing a turbo on my car require rebuilding everything form scratch. It will cost more than selling this car and buying a MS6 2.3 turbo. Let alone the troubles and the hours needed to make the modified engine run properly. <_<

I'm using it as a family car, so I just want some more performance(lets say +10% average) in mid revs (2500-4500) where I'm driving it 90% of the time. I also want it quiet(especially during a highway cruising), so I might put back parts of the stock exhaust if it becomes loud with the changes.

Anyway I think remap is the way to go once I have less restricted exhaust. As far as I understand squeezing more performance of these NA engines is difficult because they have very high compression rate. So having a high-flow intake and exhaust should open some performance potentials for playing with the fuel/air ratios and volume.

The problem is nobody wants to mess with our ECU. I can find "hundred" tuning houses who have their own maps for Ford(Focus, Mondeo, Fusion, C-Max, etc) which has exactly the same engines like ours (Duratec HE 1.8, 2.0 and 2.3) but with a Bosch ECU instead of our Mitsubishi and only few tuners for Mazda 6. Piassini is one of them, they have great interface but it seems they have poorly tuned maps for our engines. :mad:

I'll give this cookie to the one who will recommend me a good tuning house which has proved that their maps do work on our NA engines. :D

@Morfiy
IMO our (very similar) engines an intake and exhaust improvements should be done before a remap. You also will need ECU flash to turn of the O2 or perhaps MAF sensor triggers once you change the intake and the exhaust. So, better doing remap after you do all the other mods, and with the other mods you'll have most benefits with the remap. Have you done any mods to your engine so far?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts