Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2006 Mazda 6 had a tow bar fitted by the Mazda Dealers recommended fitter shortly after I took delivery of it. Soon after I noticed the fuel gauge was not reading correctly and took it back to the dealer for correction. The dealer has amongst other things changed the whole dash - but the problem remained. He now tells me that the tow-bar fitter has connected the tow electrics into the wrong wire in the harness (why he didn't check this before replacing the dash I'll never know). The tow-bar fitter claims he's done it exactly right. Neither will accept responsibility and I am asked to pay £1500 for the repair before I can have my new car back! The matter is now in the hands of solicitors but I would be interested to know if anyone has a similar experience or any advice to offer. Clearly through no fault of my own I have a thoroughly second-hand car and am not happy!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Take it to a different dealer and explain how your dealer couldnt help, maybe they'll be more responcible than the first one

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but in the US, the Mazda6 owner's manual states (and I quote from page 134, section 4-12) "The Mazda6 is not designed for towing. Never tow a trailer with your Mazda6".

That said, there's probably no specific procedure for installing an aftermarket hitch and wiring harness. So, any modifications made would void the warranty on effected systems and another Mazda dealer would likely refuse to honor the warranty. Your best bet would be to go after the dealer that recommended the third party and/or part.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take it to a different dealer and explain how your dealer couldnt help, maybe they'll be more responcible than the first one
[/b]
Good news on this one! Mazda UK, who intitially said they could not deal with a tow bar problem, have stepped back in, banged heads together and got me the car back at no cost to me! I wonder if they read this stuff!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts