Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mazda2.co.uk/

Incase anyone hasn't seen it, here's a site for the Mazda2. I haven't looked too much into the site, but it looks to me like Mazda's take on a crossover vehicle. Looks a bit on the weak side, though. Seems kinda cramped in there too. :/

edit: ok... looked more into the site and they're calling it a supermini. What exactly is a supermini? Is that like the Mini Cooper?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda2

Mazda 2 has been on sale here for a while and has received rave reviews.
Most reviewers have it first in class or second to Honda's Jazz.

It is a small car, 4 adults, 5 at a pinch, ( Brits have put it in their new supermini class)

It has an upright stance and has a lot of M6 DNA in it (ride, handling & interior especially)

Comes in 3 model specs here and starts at about A$20000 up to about A$26000 + orc which is pretty expensive for a small car in oz

When I can unload our remaining GM crap box without taking too big a depreciation hit the 2 is on our short list as a replacemnet

·
Registered
319 Posts

I really like it. I think that would be something I'd like to drive (as long as I could get the 2.3L I4).

Unfortunately I'm sure it won't ever make it to the US. I would guess most people will rather have a Protege/Mazda3 than that. But you never know. Sometimes cars don't follow trends, and they are a bigger hit than someone might expect (such as the Protege5)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda2'

Originally posted by Jerome81

I really like it.  I think that would be something I'd like to drive (as long as I could get the 2.3L I4).

Unfortunately I'm sure it won't ever make it to the US.  I would guess most people will rather have a Protege/Mazda3 than that.  But you never know.  Sometimes cars don't follow trends, and they are a bigger hit than someone might expect (such as the Protege5)[/b]
my dealer told me Mazda plan to get it out in Canada in sept 2003...

·
Registered
205 Posts

Originally posted by mazda666

Originally posted by Jerome81

I really like it.  I think that would be something I'd like to drive (as long as I could get the 2.3L I4).

Unfortunately I'm sure it won't ever make it to the US.  I would guess most people will rather have a Protege/Mazda3 than that.  But you never know.  Sometimes cars don't follow trends, and they are a bigger hit than someone might expect (such as the Protege5)[/b]
my dealer told me Mazda plan to get it out in Canada in sept 2003...[/b][/quote]

Yeah, around 2 months ago I heard that the Mazda2 will be coming to Canada. That's why the MX Runabout showcar was at this year's Toronto auto show (the MX Runabout is the Mazda2 showcar, just like the MX Sportif is the showcar for the Mazda3).

Will be an interesting battle between the Mazda2 versus the Echo hatchback (coming this summer).

Mazda2's not going to the US though.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I don't think that there is a significant market for this car here. It doesn't matter how fun to drive this car is, it's still a lot smaller car than most Americans are used to. The ecobox category has pretty much been filled by "lesser" brands.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Phrosted is exactly right, the market is different between US and Canada. I don't want to start the topic all over again, but see the 'Is Mazda gouging US customers?' thread on the Release/Pricing section of this board.

But to me, the arrival of the Mazda2 means that the Mazda3 is going to move more upmarket, which is consistent with the features I heard will be available for the Mazda3.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I don't think the 3 will move a long way upmarket. It doesn't have far to go before bonking its head on the 6. The 2 will probably be priced in the low to mid teens. It will be competing against the Suzuki Aerio and other ultra compacts, along with several Korean cars.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

So there's a 2, a 3, a 4, and a 6. Well, I know exactly what to do next. The 5! A coupe version 6 with 2.3l turbo/awd!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

And the next MPV will be called Mazda8. Altough; there are rumours that there won't be a new MPV because of a lack of interest. The Mazda4 will be availble in 5 and 7-seats...but maybe they mean that the next MPV won't make it to Europe

·
Registered
376 Posts

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

So there's a 2, a 3, a 4, and a 6.  Well, I know exactly what to do next. The 5!  A coupe version 6 with 2.3l turbo/awd![/b]
the five for Mazda is the Protege 5...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by mazda666

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

So there's a 2, a 3, a 4, and a 6.  Well, I know exactly what to do next. The 5!  A coupe version 6 with 2.3l turbo/awd![/b]
the five for Mazda is the Protege 5... [/b][/quote]

Hmm, your right. But they need to ditch the "Protege" moniker.

So that would mean there is no gap between 5 and 6. I suppose we could use 7. A coupe version 6!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Hmmmm no :)

The Protege5 is the 3-series - it's called 323 everywear els. The 5 comes from that it's "5-door" (estate).

The 5-series is the Miata, or MX-5 if you'd like. Or 525 that I belive it's "project name".

·
Registered
376 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda2

oups, i forgot the miata! you are true Blackbird, once again! :D

it seems Mazda look for having a pattern for the names of their cars...

·
Registered
376 Posts

and you're always wrong when you're not right, right?

nevermind...

i simply love the way Mazda is going with the new cars since the protege 5 is out, it goes really well with all the zoom zoom concept! :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

What I would like to se is the hopefully-to-come Mazda3 sedan. That will truly look like a Mini-6!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts