·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Mazda USA site.

WARRANTY

2007 Vehicles:

BUMPER-TO-BUMPER

Mazda warrants that new 2007 Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 36 months or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first. Ordinary maintenance items or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement and certain other items are excluded. This transferable "limited warranty" is included on all new Mazda vehicles sold and serviced in the United States.

POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY

Mazda warrants that the Powertrain Components of new 2007 Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 60 months or 60,000 miles, which ever comes first. Ordinary maintenance items or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement and certain other items are excluded. This “limited warranty” is transferable during the warranty period on all new Mazda vehicles sold and serviced in the United States.

Complement the limited warranty on your new vehicle with the Mazda Extended Protection Plan, the only service agreement backed by Mazda. See your Mazda dealer for details.

This is a significant reduction in Mazda's commitment behind their vehicles, and takes away real warranty coverage for a soundbite selling point. Diva slap to Mazda. :slap:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Does this mirror Honda? I don't see this as major...Mitsubiti has the best backed cars in the world -however- I keep hearing stories of their demise...

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
This is a significant reduction in Mazda's commitment behind their vehicles, and takes away real warranty coverage for a soundbite selling point. Diva slap to Mazda. :slap:
[/b]
Only on the bumper to bumper portion of the warranty. The Powertrain warranty has increased from 48 mos/50k miles to 60 mos/60k miles. So you're getting more coverage on the expensive stuff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
:slap: x2

I don't think everyday people will notice this change though. It was definitely an important selling point for me. The lease deal I got had to be for 4 yrs, I would haved definitely hesitated more and maybe not accepted a deal that long knowing the car would not be covered. Especially coming from a "import" Nissan to Ford/Mazda..

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only on the bumper to bumper portion of the warranty. The Powertrain warranty has increased from 48 mos/50k miles to 60 mos/60k miles. So you're getting more coverage on the expensive stuff.
[/b]
Yeah, but the stuff that is FAR less likely to require repair. The chances of needing a bumper to bumper repair from 36,000 to 50,000 are far higher than needing a powertrain repair from 50,000 to 60,000 (years are irrelevant to me and to most drivers).

While they can advertise the longer warranty, I believe Mazda is giving me less of a warranty if calculated on a cost * probability basis.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is a sad step for Mazda, IMO. A big reason that I bought my 6 (other than it being the best looking, affordable sedan) was that it was going to be under warranty the ENTIRE time I was making payments. While they are increasing the coverage on the powertrain, I agree with Diva that they are getting the better end of the deal on this change. Didn't they switch from 3 yrs/36K to 4 yrs / 50K from the 2002-2003 model year? I thought I remembered them pointing out that with my car I was going to get a year more warranty than someone that bought a 2002 at the same time, though I could be wrong.

Good job, Mazda.... :slap: :nono:

·
Registered
110 Posts
You duped my post!!!

But I think I'll live.

This mirrors Toyota. I like the current warranty better, but can see how the new one might be preferable with a rotary or turbo.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You duped my post!!!

But I think I'll live.

This mirrors Toyota. I like the current warranty better, but can see how the new one might be preferable with a rotary or turbo.
[/b]
I'm sorry about the duplication... I swear I didn't see it.

I don't get this belief in the myth rotaries are delicate engines...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Is it just me or would'nt a reduced bumper to bumper warranty indicate that Mazda is very confident the vehicle will have a very very very low defect rate?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it just me or would'nt a reduced bumper to bumper warranty indicate that Mazda is very confident the vehicle will have a very very very low defect rate?
[/b]
Actually, just the opposite to me. I think a strong warranty is an indication of confidence in your product.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Actually, just the opposite to me. I think a strong warranty is an indication of confidence in your product.
[/b]
:slap: Didn't you ever see the movie "Tommy Boy"??

I forgot exactly what chris farley replied over no warranty on the box but Im sticking by his words this time!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Warranties are completely consumer driven. Every company will offer as little warranty as they believe they can without affecting sales. (Quality only affects the maximum warranty - not the minimum.)

Even if a product had a very good track record - say, one repair per year per 100,000 units made - if the company thought it could maintain sales with NO warranty, they would do it in a heartbeat. Warranties cost the company money even if they are never used and the longer the warranty, the more per unit it costs to have the procedures and personell in place to manage the warranties.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Oh, this sucks. I went for the Mazda partially because of the better warranty. Toyota and Honda can afford to have a 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty. Their cars have great fit and finish with less problems after initial quality. Mazda is kidding themselves if they think they are there yet.

For example, at 39,000 miles a bulb went out on one of my climate control knobs (the center one). I was like WTF? I ended up trading the car in, but that fix would have been out of warrantly on an 07 Mazda6, and it probably costs at least couple hundred to have fixed.

Looks like I am not as set on the next generation 6 as I thought I was....

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Wonder if they're keeping the loaner service or ditching that too?
[/b]
That was another strong reason i bought the 6.

On a side note... boy is this forum dead lately.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
kevinp
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing