Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got one of these for the inevitable rock chips that will come. It's got a fine tip metal applicator. Has anybody used this and have any tips to share? I'm going to test it on something before I attempt to use on the car.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
I got one the same month that I bought the car, still have it over almost 2.5 years later and works like a charm.

Press the metal pen down enough to let the roller allow paint to escape, but be careful not to press too hard.

Personally, I like using the small brush that is on the underside of the cap most of the time since the pen starts to clog after a few uses.

The paint is fairly close to the OEM paint and does a good job covering up small nicks and chips.

I even used it to paint the bumper plugs that I put in the license plate holes after I swapped my plate to the tow hook.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
No problem. Be careful using the brush because it, as well as the tube it's connected to, retain a good amount of paint and if you don't scrape it off, you may end up dripping some on the car.

I know from experience haha. Simple to clean up, but a quick moment of :eek: when it happened.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is this paint pen from the dealer?

Seems like it'd be easier to use than the miniature jars I used to get.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Is this paint pen from the dealer?

Seems like it'd be easier to use than the miniature jars I used to get.
Yessir, $8 - 12 depending on dealer. Doesn't seem like a lot of paint, but when you're only using it on chips it lasts a while.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I just bought the touch up pen. I always put a clear bra on a new car when I get it but the 2018 being so new the film manufacturer didn't have it in the computer yet so I've had to wait a couple of weeks. The install is later today but naturally after inspecting the car a couple of days a go doing the paint correction I noticed a very small rock chip on the bumper.

Anyway it's very small but still wanted to touch it up before the clear bra.

Bought the pen, shook it for much longer than suggested and gave it a whirl. This pen does not have a brush which was disappointing especially after trying to use the tip to fill the ding. Not sure if it's the tip or the paint but the end result is this is worthless. Seemed like milk (snowflake pearl) that had been diluted coming out. After several attempts I have just cleaned it off and left the ding as it simply will not cover it without leaving a monster blob. This is not my first Rodeo so I kinda know what I'm doing but for what I was trying to do it simply doesn't do the job to the point it makes me think the paint in the pen is defective.

What a piece of junk. I'd have been better off getting some paint you'd use on a model you build or shoe polish maybe....

Just kidding about the shoe polish, either way YMMV but I'm 100% unhappy/disappointed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I dont like the paint pen either. I have trouble getting the paint to flow. ill be pushing in and holding.....no paint. Then a small bit will rush out leaving a blob. maybe it will do ok if I get the paint flow and movement of the pen head perfect...for a couple seconds, then it quits flowing again. Have to keep shaking it and pressing.....sometimes it flows a bit...usually nothing. A rather frustrating experience. Ill take a paint brush over this, even if it can be a bit messier. Mine has no built in brush

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
I just bought the touch up pen. I always put a clear bra on a new car when I get it but the 2018 being so new the film manufacturer didn't have it in the computer yet so I've had to wait a couple of weeks. The install is later today but naturally after inspecting the car a couple of days a go doing the paint correction I noticed a very small rock chip on the bumper.

Anyway it's very small but still wanted to touch it up before the clear bra.

Bought the pen, shook it for much longer than suggested and gave it a whirl. This pen does not have a brush which was disappointing especially after trying to use the tip to fill the ding. Not sure if it's the tip or the paint but the end result is this is worthless. Seemed like milk (snowflake pearl) that had been diluted coming out. After several attempts I have just cleaned it off and left the ding as it simply will not cover it without leaving a monster blob. This is not my first Rodeo so I kinda know what I'm doing but for what I was trying to do it simply doesn't do the job to the point it makes me think the paint in the pen is defective.

What a piece of junk. I'd have been better off getting some paint you'd use on a model you build or shoe polish maybe....

Just kidding about the shoe polish, either way YMMV but I'm 100% unhappy/disappointed.
I dont like the paint pen either. I have trouble getting the paint to flow. ill be pushing in and holding.....no paint. Then a small bit will rush out leaving a blob. maybe it will do ok if I get the paint flow and movement of the pen head perfect...for a couple seconds, then it quits flowing again. Have to keep shaking it and pressing.....sometimes it flows a bit...usually nothing. A rather frustrating experience. Ill take a paint brush over this, even if it can be a bit messier. Mine has no built in brush
Well that's dumb there's no brush. I completely agree that the pen part is pretty bad most of the time. I've had it work a couple times, but I usually end up just using the brush.

Not to ask a dumb question but, have you guys unscrewed the cap? That's where the brush lives.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
I thought there would be a brush and made every effort to unscrew the cap on both ends. There is no brush.
:frown2:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I cant find mine at the moment, to double check, but Im pretty sure there is no brush. Mine is a couple years old, maybe they changed the newer ones to include a brush?

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
I cant find mine at the moment, to double check, but Im pretty sure there is no brush. Mine is a couple years old, maybe they changed the newer ones to include a brush?
I got mine within the first month of owning the car, so that would have been somewhere around February/March of 2013.

Such a bummer they even sell the things without a brush.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was having the same issue at first. A light squeezing of the bottle on the sides allowed the paint to come out pretty well. The ballpoint pen applicator is not as nice a brush, but after squeezing the sides a bit, it did come out fairly well and consistent.

I stumbled across this thread while researching a better color match to my snowflake pearl white than the OEM 'match'. :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Here is a touch-up paint pen that I used, 46 G:

Clean and dry the surface before applying it.

Shake the pen thoroughly and apply.

Use the provided "needle brush" to spread the paint.

Finally, a clean looking finish. Of course, this is not to compare to a professional detailer. However, it is able to hide the blemishes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
Archerfish
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing