Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda to recall over 174,000 Mazda6, MPV, Miatas

I wonder if the potentially defective fog lamp is the one in the integrated housing or the separate fog light housing?

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Yeah... would be nice to know. I guess we'll find out soon enough from our dealers.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Yeah hopefully they will let us know. Maybe I can get them to do everything in 1 shot. I need an oil change and tire rotation in about another 500 miles. Maybe they can do the recal portion of it during that same time period and let me take a rental car.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Hey Absolut, I don't think it would be the non-sport version fog lamp since I never seen JDM version of the non-sport fog kit. I wonder if they will have the information of the new wiring for my JDM fog kit that I will getting in 2 weeks. Don't want to wire it as the instruction if it causes fire.

hmmmmm.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

I think you might be right. I always drive with my integrated fog lights on at night. It just gives you so much more light on the sides of the road then the regular headlights do. I will still call my dealer and ask them.

·
Registered
837 Posts

That sucks that you still don't have your fog kit you invested in to work. If you have bought it from your dealer, perhaps this problem would have been solve. I guess there is some good in supporting your local dealer instead of ordering from afar. :(

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

I didn't order aftermarket fogs.. Mine are already integrated into the valance so theres not need. Unless you were talking to someone else??

·
Registered
837 Posts

Ooops.. Sorry Absolut, confuse you with LBJay. He bought the fog. My mistake.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

hieppo

I finally got tired of trying to figure out the wiring and just did my own wiring to the Fog light relay in the fuse box. Maybe this expains why I couldn't get mine to work the factory way!!!!

I would think that the recall is for all cars with factory fog lights high or low, they all use the same wiring.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Jay, you saw the Japanese manual I posted before. It routed the signal wire from the valence fog light to turn on the fog light for the Aero Sport bumper. I wonder if it is this method that may cause fire.

So Jay, you did not plug into the free connector in the bumper and feed teh signal wire to the relay directly? hmmp, I would think this is more dangerous then using the existing wiring. You have to put up some pictures of your wiring modification.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda to recall over 174,000 Mazda6, MPV, Miatas'

Originally posted by Absolut

Yeah hopefully they will let us know.[/b]
usually when the recall is serious, the car company involved mail letters to the owners... let's just wait and see!

·
Registered
16 Posts

I am wondering if mine will be included in that although I ordered it in 1st of April, delivery is not till end of june begining of july. :(

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

The switch on the stalk would activate the fog relay in the fuse box.
That part worked OK.

The OEM connector in the fender well has a light green and a blue/red wire that runs up into the fuse box. The light green was the ground wire that was fine. The blue with the red stripe didn't seem to be connected to anything???? I checked everything I could with my multimeter. No circuit.

So I just cut the wires that ran up to the fuse box and wired it to the stalk switched side of the fog relay. The black covers on the relay come off easily.

My fog kit came with a new relay that powers the fogs (a much more heavy duty unit than the one in the fuse box). It get its power directly from the main connection on the fuse box, has a separate ground wire and a in-line 15 amp fuse.

So the only part of the original factory wiring that I used is the circuit to the switch on the new stalk.

As it is now, if I installed the fog lights in the headlights. (all the wiring is there); when I switched on the fogs both upper and lower would light.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda to recall over 174,000 Mazda6, MPV, Miatas

I imagine it is serious if the bumper is catching on fire.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda to recall over 174,000 Mazda6, MPV, Miatas

It would help with a diagram or a picture. I got lost at the point where you say you you used relay that came with your kit. How did you bypass the relay in the fuse box that is connected to the turn signal/light stalk?

BTW, did you do all the internal swap in the fuse panel and short wire as well?

·
Registered
231 Posts

aside from the fog lamps, there seems to be another problem. the last paragraph:

"The Mazda6 also was reported to have a faulty brake oil tank that could fail to illuminate the brake lamp, the automaker said."

1 - 20 of 57 Posts