Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I just had a Mazdaspeed Sport Shifter installed on my 2006 Mazda 6 s (Grand Touring), and honestly it feels pretty much exactly the same as stock, maybe even a little stiffer. I never cared much for the stock shifter, it's just way too clunky, but the new one doesn't seem any better. I read alot of posts on here prior to getting the Sport Shifter installed, and everyone who has it seems to think that it makes a big difference. I had the dealer order and install the part, and I'm wondering if maybe they did something wrong or if there's a longer break-in period than expected. I've driven about 150 miles with the new shifter and can't detect any improvement.

Any feedback would be much appreciated- thanks!!

Dogmael

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I haven't had one installed yet but it should be a big difference. At a minimum, the throws should be much shorter. iirc, the Mazdaspeed short throw shifter doesn't change the height of the shifter but it changes the throw. Do you feel a difference in that?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yeah, the height is the same. But the throw (1st to 2nd, etc) is much shorter like ~25%? And you should notice a difference. You can check their work by removing the cup holder console and shifter console and take a look (open the cup holder and squeeze the outside and inside with your hand and pull out and it will pop out). Maybe take a picture and we can comment from there.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I haven't had one installed yet but it should be a big difference. At a minimum, the throws should be much shorter. iirc, the Mazdaspeed short throw shifter doesn't change the height of the shifter but it changes the throw. Do you feel a difference in that?
[/b]
You are right Venom. The height does not change.
Also there is no real break in period. The change and improvement (IMO) is all in the quick or should I say shorter shift to the next gear. Fifth gear is soo much easier to get to also. My STS is a still a bit clunky. I believe it should only take a bit of fiddling in there, maybe a bit of sanding here or tightening there and I will have her perfect. But that just requires some free time on my part.
I also agree with m6inVan. I would suggest looking up the how to install for this and take a look in there so you know exactly what parts were replaced and why/how it does what it does.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There is one other option too - that the dealer used the second hole for attaching the blue aluminum block onto the shift rod.

Ok, I realize that may not make too much sense, but there are two holes that the one bolt can go through. The standard one gives you the short throw (but requires more effort). The 'other' one give about the same throw/effort as stock, but a bit more snick-snick due to the solid bushings, etc.

I tried both on my '04 MTX Wagon and ended up using the short throw one. Whenever I sell the car though, I'm going to switch to the 'easier' hole so as to not frighten off buyers.

Again, as someone said, a picture would clear up this question as well as others.

Hope this helps,

Kevin M.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The Mazdaspeed shifter, like any short-throw shifter, will require more effort as you are doing the same amount of work as the stock shifter over a shorter distance. If the throws are as long as they were when stock, though, the shifter wasn't installed correctly as noted above. The Mazdaspeed shifter is supposed to reduce the throws by about 40 percent over stock. My 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears are slightly ahead of where neutral was with the stock shifter, and 2nd, 4th, and reverse are about where they were with the stock shifter. Hence, the throws are shortened. If you are concerned about improving shifting effort I would suggest switching to Redline MT-90 transmission fluid. That's what I'll be doing the next time I change the trans. fluid in mine.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
^^So with all the responses, it sounds like the install was incorrect. Take it back asap. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys. I will try and get that cup holder off and get some pictures- maybe that will illuminate the situation a bit.

Yeah, I realize that it is meant to be the same height, but the throws between gears do not feel any shorter whatsoever. There is plenty of "snick-snack", though, so maybe what ktm137 was saying applies: that the dealer opted not for the short-throw installation, but for the other, snickety-snackety installation...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The dealer installer is kind of a dork then. I mean, you purchased a short throw shifter...so let's install it so it doesn't have short throws...uh, riiiiiight.

Let us know how it goes and/or post pix.
:)

·
Registered
431 Posts
The short shifter wont change the clunky feel of the shifting since thats not caused by the shifter itself but rather the linkage and tranny.

Its only a small bit shorter (in height) than the stock shifter but it does reduce the distance the knob has to move to go from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The short shifter wont change the clunky feel of the shifting since thats not caused by the shifter itself but rather the linkage and tranny.

Its only a small bit shorter (in height) than the stock shifter but it does reduce the distance the knob has to move to go from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc.
[/b]
Thanks for clearing that up- I had hoped that the clunkiness of the shifter could be partially eliminated by shorter throws, but I guess not. However, as I said, the throws don't necessarily feel any shorter to me and it still feels incredibly stiff. I'm bringing it back to the dealer next weeks and will get some pictures when they open her up. Thanks everyone!!

Dogmael

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The MS should be much tighter, IE the stick will not travel left-right in gear nearly as much as with the stock, atleast not for me. The old one felt loose like it could go anywhere, the MS one has a definite grove and path. Also the throws (Especially 1st, 3rd, 5th) are much shorter. When i first got it i was like.. wth... why doesnt it go in.. but.. it was. Seriously felt like there was a tiny 1st. Hoewver, when i got used to it it felt "normal" though now when i drive my other car its like.. omg im shifting into the engine bay!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I found that 1st, 3rd, 5th were noticeably shorter, but 2nd, 4th not so much. In the beginning right after I installed it I found it very notchy, but after putting 100km on it or so it feels very good, it just kind of pops into gear now, stock never felt this good.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up- I had hoped that the clunkiness of the shifter could be partially eliminated by shorter throws, but I guess not. However, as I said, the throws don't necessarily feel any shorter to me and it still feels incredibly stiff. I'm bringing it back to the dealer next weeks and will get some pictures when they open her up. Thanks everyone!!

Dogmael
[/b]
You mention it being very stiff. One other thing to have the dealer check out is how tight they tightened the bolt that goes through the shift rod. If they really tightened that thing, it'll make the effort very high. There's a reason that some locktite is given with the kit. That lets that bolt be only just snug but not back out (it's also a nylock nut too, if I remember right.) I left my center console off for a week or so and tried different tensions on that bolt.

Good Luck,

Kevin

·
Registered
152 Posts
ya it looks as if it's in neutral! i need to get one of these soon!

·
Registered
901 Posts
As soon as I installed my Mazdaspeed sts I noticed a big difference. Stock is so clumsy/loose feeling and the sts cleans that up quite a bit. The shifts are more precise and crisp not to mention the throws are about 40% shoter.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ok, I realize that may not make too much sense, but there are two holes that the one bolt can go through. The standard one gives you the short throw (but requires more effort). The 'other' one gives about the same throw/effort as stock, but a bit more snick-snick due to the solid bushings, etc. [/b]
Wait so I can just change my stock shifter to this 'standard' hole and get shorter throws without having to spend $300 :headscrat: Is this true or is the lack of sleep affecting my thinking?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Wait so I can just change my stock shifter to this 'standard' hole and get shorter throws without having to spend $300 :headscrat: Is this true or is the lack of sleep affecting my thinking?
[/b]
No, the stock shifter isn't adjustable. The Mazdaspeed shifter for some reason has two holes that could possibly allow the shifter to be installed so that it doesn't shorten the throw. Also the Mazdaspeed shifter costs about $150 and the install is a relatively easy DIY.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.