Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so two hours and I am finished with my conversion this afternoon.
Total time to do the conversion was six hours.
Mazda Speed springs for my wagon with Koin's all around.

Any way when I was done with the rear install this afternoon, I stood on the rear bumper step and bounce the wagon up and down a few times to settle everything in and took a look under the rear of the car to admire the new red springs and yellow shocks when I notice that the bump stop is damn close to the lower arm.

The instructions that came with the springs said nothing about modding the bump stop and also said that removal was not required.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

It wouldnt take much time to cut it down so I will just leave it for the time being and see if I notice anything funcky with the rear suspension.

I do haul passagers as well as a couple of labs (about 160 lbs. worth combined) around with me from time to time so I reallly do not want the rear end riding on the stops.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the RB springs on my wagon and have the rear cut two 'bumps' per the RB instructions. In hind sight I'd have prefered to only have them cut one since the rear squats a but too much over 'jumps', etc.

On the front I didn't cut them at all and can feel the bump stops contacting. I'm still on stock shocks at 40 miles - when I put Koni's on I'll trim the front.

Kevin M.
'04 Wagon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a short drive this evening in the wagon and took my son out to get some dinner since I was to beat to attempt to cook.

My son told me he did not notice any differance in the way the car drove or felt. He is ten years old, enough said.

I can feel that the back suspension is more taught going over dips and the front feels pretty much close to stock; tight without any hashness.

I am quite happy with this set up since I have "been there done that done that" with the AutoX " ride quality on my 1983 GTI. Boy that car handled like a go cart but road like one too.

I am too old for that kind of stuff anymore so this suspenion set up is exactly what I was hoping it would be.
It lowers the car to even out the fender gaps, and has a firmer but not harsh ride.

My thanks to everyone on this forum who has posted their feedback and opinions on all the different brands of springs, shocks, coil overs, etc.

I read every one of them that had to do with a wagon set up and I am sure that their are other set-ups which work for others in the forum for what ever their particular tastes and requirements are, but for me this works perfectly. Agressive looks, taught feel without the punishing ride. I do highly recomend these parts :thumbup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question, Did you install the brown rubber piece that was on the stock front springs onto the mazdaspeed front springs?
[/b]
No I left that off, I don't think I saw in the installation instructions to remove it and put it on the MS springs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No I left that off, I don't think I saw in the installation instructions to remove it and put it on the MS springs.
[/b]
I have mazdaspeed springs on my sedan and my bump stops are NOT cut. I took mine to a shop to do mine. I asked you about the brown rubber piece because the shop left mine off. I have noticed a clunk sound when doing about 70mph on the interstate from the front suspension. The sound is random, kind of sounds like something hitting the wheel well. Have you noticed any strange sounds when on the interstate?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
really hard to get a good idea with those pics. Do you have any others?
[/b]
I had to roll the rear fender lips this morning to keep the rear tires from rubbing.

I guess you want to see the fender gaps front and rear?

I will take some close ups of that area and post them in the alblum

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two pics of the fender gaps drivers side front and rear.
1 Blurryside shot (sorry) forgot to switch from close up mode

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what size wheels and tires?

and an appearance package will make a huge difference!
[/b]
wheels are 18 x 7.5 48mm offset
tires are 225 x 45 -18

Sabrina should be sending my package out today so I should have it next week :laugh:

·
Registered
799 Posts
so the pic with the stock wheels and tires are with your spring setup as well?

did the 18"s fill the fender gap more then the stock wheels?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so the pic with the stock wheels and tires are with your spring setup as well?

did the 18"s fill the fender gap more then the stock wheels?
[/b]
Yes the 18" wheels did fill the gap up just a bit more than the stockers do, and both pictures are after the springs/shocks were installed.

I think it has to do with the offset as well. The wheel is sticking out more than the stockers, also the 45 series tire is a bit taller than a 40 series. I went with them to try and reduce ride harshness.
I do notice a differance in the ride quality with the new wheels, a bit firmer feeling than with the stock wheel/tire.
I imagine that it would be more so if I had opted for a 40 series tire.

The rear tires rubbed a bit before I rolled the rear fender lips.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts