Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just registered for Mazda Rev It Up in San Francisco, CA on the 30th! I'm excited/intimidated at the same time. This ain't gonna be any old autocross... lots of people == lots of talent. Oh well, I'll just have to keep reminding myself that I'm just going for fun and not to WIN A MAZDA6S!!! Ok, ok calm down, boy. You're going for funnfdsufn!!!!! Who am I shitting? I want to win a Mazda6!!! :)

So anyway, who else is going to the SF event?

-Alt

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Mazda Rev It Up

I would have, but my wife works on Saturdays and we are going to attend together (do I have a cool wife or what?).

-Alt

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Be sure to take detailed notes on the car set-ups. It will be interesting to see if they put Falken Azenis on the 6s.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda Rev It Up'

Originally posted by LBJay

Be sure to take detailed notes on the car set-ups. It will be interesting to see if they put Falken Azenis on the 6s.[/b]
Why?

·
Registered
6 Posts

From the FAQ on MazdaRevItUp.com -

Are the cars modified?  
The vehicles used for the competition driving have slight modifications to ensure safety, durability, and improve handling specifically for this event. And, in case you were wondering, we'll be using Falken tires on all the cars.[/b]

I'm signed up for Charlotte, NC on Sat. 5/24

Kevin

·
Registered
174 Posts

I thought about signing up... but I've got very little experience driving a stick yet. I didn't figure that was the best place to learn. Oh well. :roll:

·
Registered
174 Posts

Originally posted by CzechMate
            The cars they provide are automatics, so no worries about stick :)[/b]
Well then what's the point? :sarc What I'd really like is a quick driving school where I could take the car out on the track, and get some experience driving stick. Oh well. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If they used sticks they would procure far less customers....

Plus, now my wife can race! Also, there will be a lot of other cars there to "test drive" so says Mazda. In fact the RX-8 is mentioned a few times.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by Count Blah

Originally posted by CzechMate
            The cars they provide are automatics, so no worries about stick :)[/b]
Well then what's the point? :sarc What I'd really like is a quick driving school where I could take the car out on the track, and get some experience driving stick. Oh well. :)
[/b][/quote]

The point is that people who don't know how to drive a stick (and some that do) won't be out there destroying transmissions and clutches.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Originally posted by LBJay
The point is that people who don't know how to drive a stick (and some that do) won't be out there destroying transmissions and clutches.[/b]
Oh, I know. That's fine. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts

I don't see a cost associated with it... is it free? [Edit: As soon as I posted this, I found the price... $39, refundable up to 10 days before the event.]

Do you think it'd be a decent place to learn some driving tips? Or would I just embarass myself if I go out there and have the slowest times? Any clue how many people will be competing in each city?

BTW, the event in Miami is still nearly 3 months away. It's entirely likely I could order and get my 6 before then, but I won't count on it.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Well, I went ahead and regsitered for the event in Miami. I won't win anything, but it should be fun!

·
Registered
526 Posts

I've sent my information to Mazda and got an email saying I'd see something coming, but it's been forever.

Is there a link or a special email they send out? Can someone share, 'cause I wanna do this SO damn bad.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

If you've never done anything like it, it will be an eyeopener. Good or bad doesn't make any difference. It will be a ton of fun. You will get some idea how much you can push the car. Were it's limits are at.

Sure there will be guys there who will turn times that will have you shaking your head wondering how it is possible. But if you listen to the instructors and watch the fast people, you will be more than happy with your improvements.

Besides, imagine the fun of being able to thrash around in somebodyelse's car!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda Rev It Up

Great point LBJay in bringing up the "other people that post great times." The point of driving school is not (initially, at least) to get better than the other guy, but rather to getter better than yourself. The best indicator of this is track time reduction. You will find that you are a smoother driver after this experience. Driving fast, well, is about finesse more than anything.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda Rev It Up

There is one guy in the local autocross group that since he was in charge this past year, deceide to run his 92 Lincoln Town Car just for fun. Picture an FStock 92 LTC with a set of Kumho V700s in a 4 wheel drift coming out of a tight corner.

I've seen him PAX 40th out of 100+ cars. Talk about having your ego deflated. Drag racing is about the car, autocrossing is about the driver.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts