Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
8,298 Posts
VW doesn't make the top 20... not too, too surprised.

I am surprised that Honda is 11th, though.
Not really, theyve been sliding. But then, its been an issue for some cause CS takes bribes... lol.

· Registered
426 Posts
It’s interesting how reliability results differ. I think CR and TrueDelta both show(ed) Mazda as very reliable.

VW hasn’t made reliable cars in a very, very long time. That’s relative reliability, you understand. Everything now is practically bulletproof compared to a ‘70s Italian or English car. :)

· Registered
3,812 Posts
Remember too that "reliability" depends on metrics.

Over what period of time and miles? What's reliable for the first three or four years and 50,000 miles is only relevant if you get rid of cars before the marker point. If you're like me, and drive them well into triple digits on the odometer, you're a LOT more interested in what they look like 10+ years and 200k+ miles down the road.

484 Posts
It’s interesting how reliability results differ. I think CR and TrueDelta both show(ed) Mazda as very reliable.

VW hasn’t made reliable cars in a very, very long time. That’s relative reliability, you understand. Everything now is practically bulletproof compared to a ‘70s Italian or English car. :)
Except for FCA and GM products. :) at one point, the french were known to make the worst quality cars in the world.

Shame that Volkswagens are so offset by reliability issues. Otherwise very good to drive and comfortable cars. Excellent chassis tuning and I'm a fan of their thoughtful interior ergonomics. Seems like other than the TDi and some of their older NA engines such as the 2.0, 2.5, vr6 engines have turbo issues. Not to mention, some of the electrical issues on those are just horrid.

· Registered
2,129 Posts
Their 2.slow engine is one of the best out there... and the offshoot - the 2.5. The 2.0 apparently is good for 300,000 miles! I would absolutely love to have a new Jetta GLI... probably 6mt.... though i would extensively try their DSG transmission.

VW's are nice cars... but the long-term with a vw scares me.

484 Posts
Their 2.slow engine is one of the best out there... and the offshoot - the 2.5. The 2.0 apparently is good for 300,000 miles! I would absolutely love to have a new Jetta GLI... probably 6mt.... though i would extensively try their DSG transmission.

VW's are nice cars... but the long-term with a vw scares me.
Funny how everyone calls it a 2.slow. sounds like they have never driven a 1.6L civic before lol. It's an ok engine, good for its age. Very bad piston ring causes alot of oil consumption but otherwise solid. Seems to be very filthy with fuel dilution though.

dsg is cool, but bad idea in stop and go traffic.

· Registered
96 Posts
Except for FCA and GM products. :) at one point, the french were known to make the worst quality cars in the world.

Shame that Volkswagens are so offset by reliability issues. Otherwise very good to drive and comfortable cars. Excellent chassis tuning and I'm a fan of their thoughtful interior ergonomics. Seems like other than the TDi and some of their older NA engines such as the 2.0, 2.5, vr6 engines have turbo issues. Not to mention, some of the electrical issues on those are just horrid.
FCA's American brands are actually making some noticeable improvement. Granted, Dodge's vehicles are ancient, but getting #8 is impressive nonetheless. FCA's newest vehicles, like the Pacifica and RAM 1500 are the best in their respective segments, IMO. FCA can keep their Itlalian crap though.(Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati) Although Alfa Romeo seems to get rave reviews for their driving dynamics.

Also, it should be noted that CR's reliability ratings are relative to the average. Modern cars are very reliable - you generally won't see things like an engine blowing up, the suspension failing, major transmission failure, brake failure, etc even from some of the lower ranking brands. Most issues these days are from all the new electronics. The brand reliability list is more of a metric how many trips you're going to making to the dealer because the infotainment or the power seat stopped working, not really of how often you're going to be stranded on the side of the road. Especially looking at newer vehicles.

It really depends on how much the reliability factor is important to you. I take excellent care of my vehicles and love driving, so for me there's no way I'd put up with buying an ancient Sienna over getting the vastly superior Pacifica, any day of the week.

· Registered
426 Posts
Although Alfa Romeo seems to get rave reviews for their driving dynamics.
Ages ago I owned a mid-70s Alfa (not a Spyder), and it had outstanding driving dynamics. Pile of junk as a car, but super fun to drive! Looks like Fiat is staying true to their heritage! ;-)

· Registered
2,129 Posts
Ages ago I owned a mid-70s Alfa (not a Spyder), and it had outstanding driving dynamics. Pile of junk as a car, but super fun to drive! Looks like Fiat is staying true to their heritage! ;-)
Yeah, Alfa's DO have (and certainly DID have) good driving dynamics.

See the photo of the DeDion rear suspension on the Alfetta GT and GTV6, the Alfetta Sedan, and the Milano. Reliable... no. ZF / Porsche-style synchro's... shift slowly or b*gger them up. One friend had a Milano... and somehow a bracket or a boss for a bracket for the shift mechanism broke-off the transaxle case... Now that'd be a duesy (sp?) to repair! Also, their L4 and V6 engines of the past had wet-liner design... cast iron barrels fit into an aluminum block with O-Rings at the bottom. Can you spell galvanic corrosion, milk-shake-looking oil, etc., etc... And the 2.0 litre DOHC 8 valve L4 engines, it seems, could NOT keep a head-gasket intact and non-leaking for either love or money...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.