Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this when I went to MyMazda.com under Recalls section.

Vehicle: 2014 M6G ITR A

Mazda Recall #: 8014J

Recall Date 10/17/14

Recall Description

2014-2015 Mazda6 Tire Pressure Monitoring System Noncompliance. Certain Mazda6 vehicles do not comply with the detection requirement specified in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 138; Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems. The FMVSS No. 138 requires that the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) must illuminate a low tire pressure warning telltale within 20 minutes after the inflation pressure in one or more of the vehicle?s tires, up to a total of four tires, is equal to or less than either the pressure 25 percent below the vehicle manufacturer?s recommended cold inflation pressure, or the pressure specified in this standard, whichever is higher. The subject Mazda6 vehicles may not satisfy this detection requirement if the inflation pressure of all four tires simultaneously and gradually drops by 25 percent.
Safety Risk:

Repair Description

Dealers will reprogram the control software of TPMS within the dynamic stability control (DSC) unit with the modified calibration to satisfy the detection requirement.

Last Updated: October 25, 2014

You can also check your VIN for any recalls at safercar.gov

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Got that recall too this morning, also from MyMazda app...I'll have this added, at my 15K/18mo OCI service coming up, already scheduled for mid Nov.

·
Registered
926 Posts
welp looks like I am part of it too, time for a dealer trip when I got time or next OCI.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Added to my list of Recalls in the 3rd gen One-Stop-Shop. Thanks for the info, mine will need this as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm wondering if I even want this recall done. My mother has been dealing with TPMS sensor issues on her Malibu, apparently the sensors go bad after a few years (or so they tell her). Of course, replacing the sensor requires pulling the tire off the rim, adding more cost.

The TPMS light seems to come on every now and then on my wife's Pilot for no real reason (I check the TPs frequently).

So, when I hear that the TPMS light may not come on when its supposed to, I can't say that really bothers me too much. I'd prefer the thing not be there to begin with.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm wondering if I even want this recall done. My mother has been dealing with TPMS sensor issues on her Malibu, apparently the sensors go bad after a few years (or so they tell her). Of course, replacing the sensor requires pulling the tire off the rim, adding more cost.

The TPMS light seems to come on every now and then on my wife's Pilot for no real reason (I check the TPs frequently).

So, when I hear that the TPMS light may not come on when its supposed to, I can't say that really bothers me too much. I'd prefer the thing not be there to begin with.
Mazda6 uses a different system than individual tire sensors. Something to do with the ABS system. Doesn't sound as accurate as vehicles with individual sensors.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mazda6 uses a different system than individual tire sensors. Something to do with the ABS system. Doesn't sound as accurate as vehicles with individual sensors.
Interesting, I did not know that. If so, good. I hate those TPMS sensors.

In that case, guess I'll make an appointment to take it in. Can't wait to hear about how I need injector flushes or magic pixie dust in the fuel again.....

Interesting, I did not know that. If so, good. I hate those TPMS sensors.

In that case, guess I'll make an appointment to take it in. Can't wait to hear about how I need injector flushes or magic pixie dust in the fuel again.....
Yes, it's a wonderful thing to realize that for a new set of tires/rims you don't have to buy those $100/ea. sensors. The TPMS is an 'indirect' system that calculates the relative pressure of your tires. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Got mine done yesterday. No quarrels from the stealership. Couldn't tell you how long it takes (should only be a 10-15 minute thing) because my place decided to run a full check on the whole car.

While I didn't mind that, it would have been nice to have been informed of this instead of waiting for 45 minutes wondering how long it was going to take to reflash a little component.

·
Registered
926 Posts
pretty much every time I have taken mine in for something they will do the full circle insp as a courtesy, even when its just a minor warranty repair. Last time i took it in for a new sun visor they did the full check and top off fluids if needed, skipped the OCI

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Got that recall too this morning, also from MyMazda app...I'll have this added, at my 15K/18mo OCI service coming up, already scheduled for mid Nov.
Done..last Vet's Day. Was 1st customer of the day (in and out in an hour, with a free "bath"). Succeeding customers behind me, were a conglomeration of fellow GJ's (more) and BM's..as always, flying colors for Puente Hills Mazda service (Service Advisor Ed Tijerina, shows the way..). :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem w TPMS UPDATE

I took my car in last week and in doing this recall, they killed my ABS module and had to order it. Had I known this would happen I would have not let them do the recall.
Took our 2014 Mazda6 in for an oil change on 12/28 and to have this sw update done and the dealership killed the ABS module in mine as well. They are blaming in on the sw update. They seem to also have killed the battery and now the power brake module. Needless to say I am not happy as the car was working fine when I took it in for an oil change and now we are replacing parts that showed no sign of any problem prior to the regularly scheduled maintenance. Pretty upset with this situation. UNEXCEPTABLE.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also regret taking my car in for this recall. I also asked them to check why the bsm was malfunctioning and they told me it was because I lowered the car and charged me a $140 diagnostics fee. Anyone know if springs cause this problem? Also my dad brought to my attention that they must've hit something because there is a minor scratch and red paint on my bumper.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts