Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was iffy on purchasing a 6 because of they were "unreliable". But after hearing what you guys say I no longer think that way. However, the real question is will parts be expensive, compared to Hondas and Toyotas as their parts are relatively cheap? I don't mean aftermarket, just replacement parts if things go wrong. Will the fact that more likely than not the 6 will sell well make parts cheaper for this car?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda parts

I think parts prices are comparable with other like Honda, Toyota and Nissan.

There may be some parts that cost more than the competitor but then there may be some that will cost less too. So overall the average price should be even.

I don't know if you feel good about this but I am sure Mazda probably contract out certain parts that shares with other Ford product. If you look deep enough, I bet you there are companies that share the same manufacturer for their parts but the final product will have their logo stamp on it.

But in reality prices are determined by volume. If you buy enough of it the price should be lower. Since Mazda is a lower volume manufacturer than Honda and Toyota, certain parts will be lower price.

My loonie worth.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda parts'

Originally posted by hieppo

I don't know if you feel good about this but I am sure Mazda probably contract out certain parts that shares with other Ford product.  If you look deep enough, I bet you there are companies that share the same manufacturer for their parts but the final product will have their logo stamp on it.[/b]
it is true, my spoiler is from another company... my dealer had to buy it seperately...

by the way, they changed it ( for those who read my thread about my cracked spoiler ) and it cost me nothing! nada! niet! yeppi! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts

Mazda does not have the number of cars out on the road to compair with the Honda and Toyota's. I would bet replacement parts are higher just due to less volume of parts mean higher prices from the manufacturer. I had a 1994 Ford Probe which was a joint Mazda/Ford venture. Replacement parts for it were way higher than Honda prices. Specific example, a OEM timing belt and water pump for my Honda Civic was around $100.00 for both parts. A OEM timing belt and water pump for my Ford Probe was over $250.00. I neded up using aftermarket parts which were much cheaper. Also, Ford wanted $76.00 for a CV boot. Honda gets $19.00. Seems like when Mazda and Ford got together, their joint cars had expensive replacement parts.

·
Registered
65 Posts

As you can tell from my tag, I was victimized by a Forest Green 1993 MX-6 LS. That car had 89,000 miles when I bought it, and it was all down hill from there. I spent about $2000 in rapairs on that car.

The highlight was when I was driving home from the dealer, the "Check Engine" liight went on. I brought it to a Mazda dealer.. and they claimed $625 to installl Oxygen Sensors. The two sensors alone were more than $200 a piece!

Then other problems started, such as the head gasket blowing, or the rear brake calipers locking up and burningmy entire roter off, etc.

Funny thing is that my brother-in-law loved the car so much, that he went out and bought Silver one. He spent $3000 in repairs on his Mx-6, and finally sold it after a year of ownership. I warned him...

The car drove like a dream though. It shared the same platform as the Ford Probe. Silky V6 shared with the old 626. Only 170HP, but it move pretty good with the V6.

Anyway, enough or I'll get nightmares. Let's hope Mazda/Ford hace improved reliability....

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

I have to disagree with you on the Probe/MX-6. I owned a 95 Probe GT from 48,000 miles to 116,000 miles and had no problems with it at all. I changed my own 02 sensors for about $45/ a piece (plus, they were easy to change!). The only major work I had done to the car was to replace the water pump and timing belt at 60k miles. Otherwise the car was a dream and outhandled my current 6s.

·
Registered
432 Posts

I had a 93 MX6 LS that had 110k miles when I traded it. That car was very reliable and gave me no trouble at all. The only thing that bugged me about it was that valve tap when the engine was cold.

I do remember one mechanic telling me that parts were "outrageous" for Mazdas. I had everything fixed at the dealer so I dont know how true that was.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Originally posted by davecoyne
Otherwise the car was a dream and outhandled my current 6s.[/b]
And just think, depending on who you ask and on the driver, some say the MX6 LS outhandled the PGT ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts

I bought my 626 V6 at 70,000m and sold it at 100,000m between then I replaced both CV joints, had to get a new distrubuter (common problem with all 626, MX6 and probes, engine will just cut out while driving). And my brake calipers would stick down causing smoke from my wheels, couldnt drive anywhere had to get towed. Plus my head gasket was leaking, had to replace it.
The car was still magic to drive, it had power everything and still looked good for the age.
However I now drive a new Mazda 6 and dont think I will ever buy second hand again.

·
Registered
628 Posts

I bought my current '93 Probe i4 with 63000 miles and it ran like a beaut until it hit 130,000. Thats when it started leaking oil, needed a new ignition module, battery died, etc. But before 130k all I had to do was feed it and replace the exhaust every 2 or so years (damn rust).

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

In Europe, Mazda parts are fairly expensive, but you rarely need them. So... the TCOO (or whatever you guys call total cost of ownership) is very low.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts