Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased from here: https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/49058

Pretty simple install.

Unpack and make sure you have the JDM Ambient overhead console and the wiring harness.

Lower the sunglass holder and remove the 2 Phillips head screws. Pull the OE console down. There is one little clip holding it; I broke it. You probably will too.

Remove the plugs and dont forget to the OE microphone in the left rear side.

Compare side by side to see the difference

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Remove the A-Pillar ( I did not break the clip holding the pillar on. The kit come with an additional one just in case. Install will be easier if the A-Pillar is completely removed), and I removed the speaker grill.

I routed the console harness through the headliner, down the A-Pillar and through a hole by the dash speaker. I then pulled out the bottom and put the A-Pillar and speaker grill back in place.

If you look HARD, you can see a little bit of the wire sleeve through the window. Pretty OE I think. Also cant see it by the headliner.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I located the glove box light, which only comes on when the headlights/parking lights are on. Yellow wire is positive. The TAP is included. I then picked a ground and grounded it.

TIP: pick a closer ground.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other end of the harness has 2 pins which needs to be inserted into the harness.

Ground goes into slot 2. Positive goes into slot 4. BEFORE you attempt to insert them into the harness, remove the little piece on top. If not, you will bend and break the pin like I did.

Since I broke the pin, I just made a jumper for the ground. There goes my OE like installation. I will try to find another pin. Make sure it works, (sunroof, etc) and install the 2 screws.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VIOLA! JDM Ambient Light Install is Complete. I cant wait until it gets dark to see how it works. Other threads say that the light is too bright and they have either scuffed the lens to scatter the light, or put a black bag over it to darken it.

We will see in a few hrs!

·
Super Moderator
16,774 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but how is the new one different?
That little slit in the middle with the white light coming out of it. The older CX-9s had them and I loved it because that little bit of ambient light in the car at night is very classy (and helpful!).

Great writeup! Added to my 3rd gen 1 Stop Shop. But man... almost $80 USD for the new unit just for that little light is a tough pill to swallow.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That little slit in the middle with the white light coming out of it. The older CX-9s had them and I loved it because that little bit of ambient light in the car at night is very classy (and helpful!).

Great writeup! Added to my 3rd gen 1 Stop Shop. But man... almost $80 USD for the new unit just for that little light is a tough pill to swallow.

Ah, I see it now. Missed it originally.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Once you have had a car with it, it's one of those small things that you really miss. And $80? Try a little over $100 w/shipping and a 5 week wait time.
Thank you. I did not see one on the site, and it was fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts