Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that on mazda's website when you are doing the option to build your own vehicle with options... there is an option that has a remote start for around $250 if i remember correctly... I actually would like to purchase one of these! anyone have any pros/cons of them?

I cannot find any info on the range for these... but i like the fact that it looks just like the factory key remote, but just a little bit longer! I thought about aftermarket, but then I hear all of these problems of the car not functioning properly because of them. So i hope mazda has the remote as a good solution...

anyone able to provide feedback on this product? anyone have it?

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I noticed that on mazda's website when you are doing the option to build your own vehicle with options... there is an option that has a remote start for around $250 if i remember correctly... I actually would like to purchase one of these! anyone have any pros/cons of them?

I cannot find any info on the range for these... but i like the fact that it looks just like the factory key remote, but just a little bit longer! I thought about aftermarket, but then I hear all of these problems of the car not functioning properly because of them. So i hope mazda has the remote as a good solution...
anyone able to provide feedback on this product? anyone have it?[/b]

It is junk,and i work for mazda.If a salesman is trying to push a customer into the factory remote start option,they will not bring the customer to me for help selling it,It is a P.O.S in my opinion

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have the oem one, it's not horrible, but it's far from the best. range is okay, it is advertised at 800 feet.

before I install my stereo I will be replacing it with an aftermarket unit

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright, i wasn't sure if it was good or not... i talked to a salesperson this morning and they were saying 300 for the unit plus another 200 for the labor... not worth it in my opinion!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think it's 225 through our sponsors here, and I think a 6 pack will get it done for you ;)

send me a message if you decide to do it, I can have it done in under 45 minutes, depending on temp

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
If you're going aftermarket, I gots the Viper 791XV with remote start.
I like it, but that's just my opinion..... :yesnod:

---Aloha

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's 225 through our sponsors here, and I think a 6 pack will get it done for you ;)
send me a message if you decide to do it, I can have it done in under 45 minutes, depending on temp[/b]

hmm.... that's a very tempting offer you are laying down on the table Mike!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

anyone able to provide feedback on this product? anyone have it?[/b]

I'll have to take exception to the comment that it's "junk". I have a 2006 6s and had the dealer install the factory remote start when I took delivery of the car. NO salesman pushed me into the system, I was the one who wanted it when I bought the car. In my experiences the factory units usually are a neater and more trouble-free addition to a car than some of the aftermarket ones, which is why I decided to go that route.

So far my impressions are:
-------------------------

Pros:
Excellent range of the transmitter, you can literally start it from a half block away. Not sure why you'd need more than that anyway.
Very Reliable. It has never failed to start the vehicle on the first try.
It intergrates into the factory immobilizer/anti-theft system seamlessly. No need for stashing a key somewhere under the dash to fool the immobilizer, no headaches with one thing or another not working properly. It's a Mazda accessory installed by a Mazda dealer, no finger-pointing between dealer and aftermarket installer if or when there is a problem. And as a dealer installed option at the time of new car delivery it is covered under the new car warranty.

Cons:
Biggest gripe and this apparently started with the 2006+ models - When running the car on the remote start, the door unlock feature only unlocks the driver's door. I did not know this until after the unit was installed, it's mentioned in the back of the owner's manual, which you don't see until after the system is installed. I consider this a major pain in the rear end and have been in contact with the company that makes the system. They tell me there is a solution for the problem and I'm waiting for a tech guy to confirm this, more info as it becomes available.
You have no configuration options like how long the car runs on the remote, which is 10 minutes. That's usually enough even in the cold midwestern winters here to get it comfortably warm inside.
Price - installed it was just over $400. I did get my selling dealer to match the Mazdastuff's website price for the unit ($245) and the rest was labor. I'm told something like the Viper system would be cheaper and with their immobilizer interface option now available would work correctly.

If I had it to do all over again I would probably research the Viper system a little more before making my decision. If Code Systems ( the company that makes the OEM unit for Mazda ) can provide a fix for the driver's door unlock only annoyance I think I could say I'm completely satisfied with the system.

Hopefully this helps you make your decision, but once again I have to take exception to the gentleman who calls it "junk". I don't know exactly what he does for Mazda but I think it's an unfair evaluation of the system.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Considering that the system fits about 60+ vehicles and is made by Code Alarm for mazda.That should say enough on the idea of junk.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Considering that the system fits about 60+ vehicles and is made by Code Alarm for mazda.That should say enough on the idea of junk.[/b]

I really don't follow your logic, but you're welcome to it.

Viper and other aftermarket manufacturers make systems that fit hundreds of vehicles, so that makes them junk also? The Ford Duratec V6 that Mazda uses is found in several vehicles, hardly a "junk" motor. I could go on but what's the point? You apparently have an axe to grind either with Code Systems or Mazda, I don't know nor do I care which one, but your evaluation of the Mazda OEM unit is simply neither fair nor correct. Let's try being fair in our evaluations. Simply saying a system is "junk" because of who makes it or how many vehicles you *think* it fits are hardly subjective reviews of how well it works.

Code systems IS a large OEM supplier, but the particular system that they sell to Mazda is made to work correctly with their car line. It's hardly a "universal"

The Mazda OEM unit isn't perfect, I think I've fairly pointed out its good and bad points, but it DOES work and does so reliably. It has a couple annoying shortcomings but they aren't defects nor are they indication of poor workmanship or materials.

Like I said, if I were doing it all over again I might decide differently, but I'm probably about 80% satisfied with what I have.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
And that is your opinion,as my opinion is that the systems has flaws and is brought in for warranty repairs alot.Some dealers will not even install them,or sell them for that matter.If you want to argue my opinion with me,fine.The thread asked for feedback and I gave mine as well as you gave yours.

The only remote start that I have seen with very few issues is some of the highend Viper systems.Just make sure you have a quality shop/person do the install.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
And that is your opinion,as my opinion is that the systems has flaws and is brought in for warranty repairs alot.Some dealers will not even install them,or sell them for that matter.If you want to argue my opinion with me,fine.The thread asked for feedback and I gave mine as well as you gave yours.

The only remote start that I have seen with very few issues is some of the highend Viper systems.Just make sure you have a quality shop/person do the install.[/b]
This is pointless, and as you say is a matter of opinions. The OP asked for comments from people who have the unit, and I gave my impressions. Your only comment was "it's junk" which you went on to explain by saying that it fits 60 cars and is made by Code Alarm (Their name is actually Code Systems, and they're owned by AudioVox, and I really don't know if it fits 60 cars or not but would find that a bit unlikely).

That hardly seemed like a hands-on evaluation to me, more like generalization without a lot of basis in facts.

Agreed that the Viper units are quality stuff, but that wasn't the original question, now was it..??

No need to continue the discussion, you're happy with your opinons and I'm relatively satisfied with my piece of "junk" Mazda remote start system.

So be it.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Tell you what,no need to act like this,when i go back to work monday,i can pull a few repair orders and list the problems that vehicles have been brought back for and what was done to repair them.The dealer I work for has installed 2 and removed a total of 5 that other dealers have installed.That can speak for it self.

Again,it was a matter of opinion.No need for you to get so upset.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i have a 2007 6i and i had the dealer install a remote start. they gave me a separate little control pad for it with one button. press twice in 3 seconds to turn on and also to turn it back off. mine runs for 15-20 min, which i was supprised its that long. the range is awesome on it. the dealer charged me 500 total for BOTH my alarm and the remote start.
i do hate that you can only unlock the drivers side door when its running with remote start. you can cancel it while its running and then all the doors will unlock, but thats annoying to do.
the only thing better i think they could make it come with is have it two-way, like the viper alarms that show/tell you your car has started. otherwise i have to go see if the lights flashed when i did it. still great though.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
the only reason i got it was because i wanted one that would be covered by warranty. It's not bad (i'm pretty sure it was installed by a monkey looking at the worksmanship)...basically it starts my car, i don't know what else i would want it to do.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I myself have an entirely aftermarket alarm system w/ remote start. My only gripe about this is the fact that it's not a 2-way, so I don't have any confirmation. It'll crank the car twice if it's really cold outside as well. Plus, I don't have the annoying feature in which only 1 door unlocks. Mine set me back $375, parts and labor.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
As most of you probably know, the Viper 791XV with "Responder Technology" is one of the more popular aftermarket alarms that's being used by Mazda6club owners.
I know this, because I researched this topic, inside and out before I decided to buy this system, that so many others on the forum board recommended.
It's two-way, confirming that the car is started and running. It will start the car with the doors remaining locked. When you unlock the doors, all doors open including for me, the hatch. And it's an alarm.

[attachment=19584:viper_remote.jpg]

---Aloha

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
arent there kits to add to your factory remote that adds remote start just buy hitting the "lock" button 3 times or something like that? i am not looking for range i just want to start it from my house during the summer/winter

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been installing remote starts/alarms for 5-6 years now and have all the faith in the world in a good quality product with proper installation. I'm not trying to say that the unit offered by Mazda is junk... but it will not have the flexibility of a good aftermarket piece. The biggest downfall is going to be the range, probably will work from your house/apt to your car, but that most likely will be the extent. I see that the brand of choice is the Viper 791XV (coincidentally the same that i installed in my 6s ). I couldn't agree more that this is an awesome unit. It has many programmable options and ability to add on other pieces/features, i.e. window rollups, rear defrost with start, perimeter sensor, starter kill, etc... But like i said, the most inportant thing is finding a reputable shop with a good installer. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! A lot of places have a lot of turnover and therefore have installers that aren't especially good in this area, because let's face it, if you have ever done this before, you know it takes some amount of skill and knowledge to be consistent. Anyway... Go for the aftermarket, but take the time to find the right place to install it, don't try to save a buck or two, because in this case, you will get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
no one around here will install a 791vx with an immobilizer in a mazda 6 for under $400. So im not getting it... If i had an 03-05 i heard no immobilizer is needed if im not mistaken and its a lot easier to install...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.