Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Mazdaspeed6 GT :) and have some questions, I'll seperate them into different sections based on the topic:

1. Is the OEM shock sensor worth it?
2. How much did they charge you for labor to install it?
3. Did you get it installed at the dealership?
4. How many parts did they have to remove to get to it, where does it go?

I heard that there is some sort of invisible film that they can put on the hood so that it prevents paint chipping from little rocks.

5. Did anyone get that done?
6. How much did it cost?
7. Where did you get it done?

I have heard conflicting stories in regards to oil changes, so let me get it sorted out.

8. When do you do the first oil change (how many miles)?
9. Do you use synthetic oil, if so how many miles do you run on synthetic, (3000 miles, 7000 miles??)

Thank you,

Nermin

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I heard that there is some sort of invisible film that they can put on the hood so that it prevents paint chipping from little rocks.

5. Did anyone get that done?
6. How much did it cost?
7. Where did you get it done?
[/b]
5. Yes
6. $500
7. The Next Generation Autoware near Irvine, CA

·
Registered
940 Posts
[/b]
It's called a clear bra

I have heard conflicting stories in regards to oil changes, so let me get it sorted out.
[/b]
Ask 10 different people and you will get 15 different answers

·
Registered
651 Posts
I just got a Mazdaspeed6 GT :) and have some questions, I'll seperate them into different sections based on the topic:

Thank you,

Nermin
[/b]
1) In my opinion, no...I turned it way down because my kids have a habbit of yanking on the door handles before I get a chance to push the button, which in turn would set the alarm off. Also, when going to family functions, the thing was tripping at every bus and Harley that would ride by when I parked on the street. If you want a means of setting the alarm off when someone breaths on the car...maybe this is the option for you.

2) Came with the car...so I didn't pay to have it installed. Just the cost of the unit as an option.

4) Location is under the dash above the clutch. The box can be accessed without removing anything, but I'm not sure what would need removed to run the wires or for what this actually connects to.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Regarding the Clear Bra (AKA Clear Armor).

I had it on my Mazda3 and it was great. Not a single paint chip for the entire year I owned it.

One drawback is, I lightly scraped my front bumper on the passenger side and it's a lot more trouble to fix with the clear bra applied.

The ENTIRE KIT is kind of expensive. But if you just get the hood and side mirrors or some peices, its not too expensive. The full kit is about $1000 at the dealership or $800 if you have 3rd party do it.

I'm having it done again. Usually I wouldn't but Mazda paint is SOOO F'NG THIN!

·
Registered
201 Posts

[/b]
1. It's $40. Not much of an investment. Not a HUGE benefit either. I have adjusted mine to a very low sensitivity to decrease the chance of a false.
2. Installed it myself
3. See #2
4. It takes less than 20 minutes for someone that is used to wrenching on cars. Wires are at or near the drivers side kick panel.

Note: If you do purchase and install the sensor be very careful adjusting it. I have 15+ years experience in mobile electronics and have installed many alarms in many cars. Normally an installer will ball up his fist and hit (not hard, mind you) the A pillar on a vehicle to begin the process of adjusting the shock sensor. I could not tell you how many times I have done this personally.

Unfortunately unlike most cars, the A pillar sheet metal is much weaker on the 6 (and apparently on the 3). It easily dents and I have 2 small ones to prove it. They are barely visable... but I know they are there.

Use a tennis ball on the windshield like the instructions suggest.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Use a tennis ball on the windshield like the instructions suggest.
[/b]
Thanks for the hint...I didn't get any instructions with mine and was tring to use the hard thump in the B pillar to get this set correctly (eventually gave up).

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
I just got a Mazdaspeed6 GT 5.gif and have some questions, I'll seperate them into different sections based on the topic:

1. Is the OEM shock sensor worth it? I would say it is for the small cost
2. How much did they charge you for labor to install it? ordered it with the car, no charge
3. Did you get it installed at the dealership? no, it was installed at the port when the car came in from Japan
4. How many parts did they have to remove to get to it, where does it go? under dash, above clutch, easy to adjust sensitivity

5. Did anyone get that done? check out 3m.com for certified installers in your area. I have it on my 3 cars, and will have it on every other car I acquire in the future - great product.
6. How much did it cost? $500 installed for custom job. The guy does the installs for most the highend dealers in the area, and they charge much more through the dealer. Anywhere from $700 for the Cadillacs/Infiniti/BMW dealers to $1500 at the Bentley and Ferrari dealers in the area. All for the same product he installs in his garage for me.
7. Where did you get it done? see #5

8. When do you do the first oil change (how many miles)? 400 miles, switched to Mobil One at the dealer with a Mazda oil filter. Changed again at 2000 miles, and then every 3000 thereafter. So far, I bring my own Mobil One to the dealer, and pay a small fee for them to change it and for the filter. Now that I found that Advance Auto Parts carrys a Purolater Pure One for the Mazdaspeed 6, I will change it myself. It will cost $22 for the Mobil One at Walmart, and $7 for the filter at Advance. $29 for a full synthetic oil change - not too bad. I tend to always do my own work, because with the 3 cars I have and put Mobil One it all of them, it would be pretty pricey to have the shops do it - almost double for every oil change.

9. Do you use synthetic oil, if so how many miles do you run on synthetic, (3000 miles, 7000 miles??) Mobil One and change every 3000, even though I do drive almost all highway. Cheap insurance for your motor and turbo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got a Mazdaspeed6 GT 5.gif and have some questions, I'll seperate them into different sections based on the topic:

1. Is the OEM shock sensor worth it? I would say it is for the small cost
2. How much did they charge you for labor to install it? ordered it with the car, no charge
3. Did you get it installed at the dealership? no, it was installed at the port when the car came in from Japan
4. How many parts did they have to remove to get to it, where does it go? under dash, above clutch, easy to adjust sensitivity

5. Did anyone get that done? check out 3m.com for certified installers in your area. I have it on my 3 cars, and will have it on every other car I acquire in the future - great product.
6. How much did it cost? $500 installed for custom job. The guy does the installs for most the highend dealers in the area, and they charge much more through the dealer. Anywhere from $700 for the Cadillacs/Infiniti/BMW dealers to $1500 at the Bentley and Ferrari dealers in the area. All for the same product he installs in his garage for me.
7. Where did you get it done? see #5

8. When do you do the first oil change (how many miles)? 400 miles, switched to Mobil One at the dealer with a Mazda oil filter. Changed again at 2000 miles, and then every 3000 thereafter. So far, I bring my own Mobil One to the dealer, and pay a small fee for them to change it and for the filter. Now that I found that Advance Auto Parts carrys a Purolater Pure One for the Mazdaspeed 6, I will change it myself. It will cost $22 for the Mobil One at Walmart, and $7 for the filter at Advance. $29 for a full synthetic oil change - not too bad. I tend to always do my own work, because with the 3 cars I have and put Mobil One it all of them, it would be pretty pricey to have the shops do it - almost double for every oil change.

9. Do you use synthetic oil, if so how many miles do you run on synthetic, (3000 miles, 7000 miles??) Mobil One and change every 3000, even though I do drive almost all highway. Cheap insurance for your motor and turbo.
[/b]
tought mazda is agains syntetic oil in turbo cars

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
[/b]
The car will perform better with synthetic oil and gas mileage will improve slightly.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Oil is a debated topic. The only car you might not want to go synthetic in is the Rx-8 and assuming that you don't have one and that you own a 6 or a Speed6 since you are on this forum, you might want to go with synthetic. But its your choice.

·
Registered
595 Posts
[/b]

Yeah....I can really see why they would be against putting a superior product in your car, that protects against heat better - especaially in a turbocharged engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts