Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Mazda make their own shocks and struts in house for the 3rd gen?
Or are they a different manufacturer part that’s branded as Mazda?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know who does by chance?
My guess would be KYB maybe?
I'm trying to get the Mazda parts without the Mazda markup.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I’m away so cannot go look at them for you. ~90% chance it’s either Kayaba (KYB) or Showa. Note that just because you buy the OEM’s own brand you should NOT suppose you’re getting something identical to the Mazda part.

·
Super Moderator
16,898 Posts
Note that just because you buy the OEM’s own brand you should NOT suppose you’re getting something identical to the Mazda part.
Which is why I usually take opportunities like this to spend a little bit more to get a much better quality product. Upgrading to Bilsteins was worth every penny when OEMs blew.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m happy with the factory ride quality and handling. It’s fine for my driving style.
Im not opposed to aftermarket brands if they’re close to the factory ride quality.
that being said, I’m open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I’m happy with the factory ride quality and handling. It’s fine for my driving style.
Im not opposed to aftermarket brands if they’re close to the factory ride quality.
that being said, I’m open to suggestions.
If your shocks are dead, anything you replace them with wont feel the same cause they are new. Trust me, if your shocks are dead, you have no idea what factory feels like and your car will feel totally different after new shocks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, my shocks aren’t dead.
I have approximately 104K on them.
(Had the car since 57K) And was thinking about replacing them in the spring before the had a chance to die or degrade. Overall the car seems to ride good and hasn’t needed an alignment in the nearly 3yrs I’ve owned it. Just looking ahead I guess.

484 Posts
(Had the car since 57K) And was thinking about replacing them in the spring before the had a chance to die or degrade. Overall the car seems to ride good and hasn’t needed an alignment in the nearly 3yrs I’ve owned it. Just looking ahead I guess.
You dont need to worry about suspension now then. I'd start with sway bars.

Take a look at Bilstein B4 struts, they're really good. Paired with tanabe springs

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
They are dead lol. The car may handle good, but trust me, they are finished.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah so, I’m gonna go ahead and plan on replacing my shocks and struts probably after the new year.

I was using the product finder on Bilstein’s site, and it looks like they don’t make a rear shock for 3rd gens
Built after may of 2013?
So, for you guys that are running Bilsteins up front, what do you have on the rear?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does Mazda make their own shocks and struts in house for the 3rd gen?
Or are they a different manufacturer part that’s branded as Mazda?
IT'S KIND OF LIKE BATTERIES, THERE'S MAYBE 2 COMPANIES ON EARTH THAT MAKE CAR BATTERIES. SAME WITH SHOCKS MAYBE 3 COMPANIES,, MAZDA'S ARE MADE BY KYB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts