Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a noob to this forum and a noob to Mazda cars in general. On Saturday I acquired a silver 2003 Mazda 6s. It appears to be fully loaded... leather, sunroof, heated seats, etc. It has the automatic transmission with the manual shift feature (not sure what Mazda calls it).

Because I got such a good deal on the car, I flew to South Carolina to pick it up and I drove it 1,189 miles back to Austin, TX. It was a repossessed car so it's not necessarily in the best condition. It has one dent near the taillight but other than that the body is nice. The headliner is coming down, the center display doesn't always work properly. A new engine was installed a month ago by the people I got it from and my 1,189 mile trip was pretty much it's shake down session. It got me home with no problems at all. I was told that a mechanic check out the car prior to me picking it up. He said the only thing wrong was a piece of rubber probably fell into the exhaust system and you can hear it rattling around inside. You can smell a rubber burning every now & then. The passenger seat only has one bolt so it's not really even holding it down. Several small trim pieces are off... I assume they fit over the front & backs of the seat rails and stuff like that. And the steering wheel is mount way off from center.

A couple of questions. (basic questions but I don't even have an owners manual for the car)

A. I believe the only key I have is the valet key, which appears to be dark gray in color. What does the real key look like & does it have a fob on a keyring or buttons on the key itself? I have a fob on a keyring but it doesn't work even after installing a new battery. Can I purchase a new key from the dealership with out having a code thing that usually comes with new car keys?

B. Does my car have a timing chain or a timing belt?

During the last half mile to my house I rolled down all the windows as I was driving through the neighborhood. I could hear a different rattling sound as I gave it gas coming out of corners. The car sat for about 1 hour (after driving for 10 hours) and when I went to start it back up, it died immediately. Tried again and it struggled a little more and then died. I let it sit for about 25 minutes, check out all the obvious things & then tried to fired it hack up. It started but than tried to die.. I revved the engine a couple of times and then it started to idle fine but there was a pretty lout ticking sound. The CEL was on the whole time except for about 2 hours in the middle of my trip when it shut off for a while. It came back on later. Not sure what could be wrong but I'm going to try to find a mechanic that will come to my house to look at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll answer the questions I know, yes you have a timing chain.

The key that I have to my 03 6i is black and I had to get a new keyless remote from the dealership which was only $60 and very easy to program. I believe you do have only a valet key, every car that I have had thats had a grey key it was the valet key (which won't lock your glove box or unlock your trunk) and the regular keys were black.

For your starting problems I'd say start with checking your plugs and wires. You need to get your light checked to see why it is on and that chould give you a good idea what is going on.

Congrats on your 6, I love mine. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll answer the questions I know, yes you have a timing chain.

The key that I have to my 03 6i is black and I had to get a new keyless remote from the dealership which was only $60 and very easy to program. I believe you do have only a valet key, every car that I have had thats had a grey key it was the valet key (which won't lock your glove box or unlock your trunk) and the regular keys were black.

For your starting problems I'd say start with checking your plugs and wires. You need to get your light checked to see why it is on and that chould give you a good idea what is going on.

Congrats on your 6, I love mine. :D
Thanks for the info and the quick response.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Congrats on the car &:welcome9:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it looks like it will be a while before I'll be enjoying my 6 some more. :(
It's throwing codes P0012, P0172 & P0421. I'll be taking it to a mechanic shortly but I have no idea how long it will take to get it running right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts