·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.triplezoom.com/news/publish/art...rticle_97.shtml

2004 Mazda6 Sport Wagon and 5-Door

Dec 29, 2003

Source: Mazda North America  

Los Angeles – Mazda adds two derivatives of the hugely popular MAZDA6 sport sedan—the MAZDA6Sport Wagon and MAZDA6 5-Door—to its already stellar 2004 model lineup. The MAZDA6 Sport Wagon and MAZDA6 5-Door offer even more variety for consumers who desire extra versatility and style but still yearn for the soul of a sports car.

During its debut year, the MAZDA6 won more than 60 domestic and international industry awards, including Car and Driver’s "10Best," Automobile Magazine’s "All-Star," Money Magazine’s "Best Mid-Sized Sedan," and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s "Best Pick." In addition, it was the highest-rated new vehicle nameplate in the entire 2003 JD Power and Associates’ APEAL study. That same MAZDA6 success carries over to the Sport Wagon and 5-Door models.

"MAZDA6 had a very successful launch and we want to continue to build on its momentum," said Jim Sailer, MAZDA 6 vehicle line manager. "We’ve created the Sport Wagon and 5-Door to reinvigorate the MAZDA6 line and provide that same exceptional driving experience to those who simply require more than a sedan can offer."

The MAZDA6 5-Door is the only midsize 5-Door hatchback offered for sale in the U.S. Along with the all-new Sport Wagon, Mazda also has the broadest lineup in the midsize category.

MAZDA6 Sport Wagon combines the aggressive good looks of the sedan and 5-Door with the versatility only a wagon or SUV can provide. Sport Wagon appeals to the driver who needs room for gear or children but simply cannot give up the driving dynamics of a true, authentic sports sedan.

The 5-Door distinguishes itself by looking more like a four-door sport coupe than a hatchback. In the past, hatchbacks carried a negative stigma and were often considered only by consumers who desired utility and economy, usually at the expense of style and driving dynamics. MAZDA6 5-Door shatters that notion by incorporating flair and sporty driving characteristics into a vehicle that offers ample utility to those who need it.

From the exterior, Sport Wagon and 5-Door differ from the sedan only from the B-pillar back. The 5-Door’s roof line slopes gradually to the rear decklid for an aggressively aerodynamic yet elegant appearance. Its sleek, fastback look serves a functional purpose as well.

Opening the liftgate of the 5-Door reveals a covered cargo compartment with 22.0 cubic feet of space, nearly 50 percent more than that of the sedan. Additionally, the opening is so expansive that oddly shaped items, which would not fit through normal trunk openings, can slide through with ease. Rear seats fold with the touch of a button and there is no need to remove the head rests. With the rear seats folded, cargo space expands to 58.7 cubic feet. Cargo tie-downs and two hidden compartments in the side panels allow drivers more options for stowage.

With a hint of wedge in its profile, the Sport Wagon carries itself with an athletic and somewhat European road-ready stance. Since wagon buyers generally desire versatility, MAZDA6 Sport Wagon has more than its share of roominess and flexibility. The second-row seats fold with the touch of a lever located near the tailgate with no need to remove the head rests for a near-flat load floor. Tie-downs, a retractable cargo cover shade and a barrier-type net that raises from the floor and attaches to the roof interior all come standard. The rear compartment offers a generous 33.7 cubic feet of cargo room with the seats up and 60.4 cubic feet with them folded, which is in the same league as some SUVs.

All Sport Wagons come equipped with a 220-horsepower DOHC V-6 engine, and unlike most wagons, a five-speed manual transmission is standard (five-speed Sport Shift A/T with manual shift mode available). MAZDA6 5-Door, like the sedan, comes with either a 160 horsepower I-4 (available with five-speed manual or four-speed Sport Shift A/T with manual shift mode) or the 220-horsepower V-6 (available with five-speed manual or five-speed Sport Shift A/T with manual shift mode), and both models retain all the critically acclaimed MAZDA6 powertrain qualities.

Both the 3.0-liter 24-valve V-6 and the 2.3-liter 16-valve I-4 feature DOHC valvetrains with continuously variable intake valve timing (VVT). This technology provides the ability to tune the engine for smooth running at low speeds and extra power at high rpm. In both MAZDA6 engines, VVT operation is continuous between minimum and maximum set points to achieve optimum performance throughout the engine’s entire operating range.

No sport suspension option is needed here because every MAZDA 6 is tuned for sharp reflexes and maximum road holding. Mazda engineers selected a double-wishbone front and E-type multi-link rear suspension to provide the most accurate geometry with the least amount of built-in friction. A wide front track and standard stabilizer bar help resist body roll and weight transfer, minimizing understeer.

MAZDA6’s power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering is tuned to be precise, linear and responsive. At high road speeds, assistance is reduced to enhance both stability and the degree of communication transmitted through the steering wheel. A quick steering ratio—only 2.54 turns lock-to-lock—gives the MAZDA6 a keen sense of agility.

For sports-car-like braking performance, Mazda engineers selected 11.1-inch ventilated discs for the front wheels and 11.0-inch solid discs in back to deliver rapid, controlled stopping and the utmost resistance to fading. Computer simulations helped tune pedal feel for rapid response and a linear reaction to subtle modulation pressure.

ABS is standard on the MAZDA6 Sport Wagon and 5-Door s and available on the MAZDA6 5-Door i. Part of the ABS programming is Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), developed to extract maximum stopping ability by automatically compensating for varying wheel loads. As a result, stopping distances are less likely to increase as vehicle loading rises. Electronic traction control, also integrated with the MAZDA6’s ABS, helps maintain directional stability even on snow-covered or rain-slicked roads.

Three-point belts are provided at all five seating positions. Pretensioners, load limiters and height-adjustable shoulder belt anchors are provided for front occupants. The front air bags are an advanced "smart" design with dual-action inflation to tailor their response to both the occupants’ seating position and accident severity.

Standard seat-mounted side-impact airbags protect the chest, neck and head of front occupants. An optionally available side-curtain airbag system adds additional protection from side impacts for both front and rear occupants and deploys from the outer edges of the headliner.

Both the MAZDA6 Sport Wagon and 5-Door feature 17-inch, five-spoke alloy wheels and 215/50R17 V-rated all season tires as standard and both have height-adjustable head rests at all four positions.

All MAZDA6 5-Doors come standard with a sport package, which in addition to 17-inch wheels includes aggressive front and rear fascias, integrated fog lights, side sill extensions, rear wing, oval-tipped exhaust outlets and titanium-look power window switch panels. All 5-Doors also have a body-colored sport grille and rear wiper/washer.

For 2004, MAZDA6 has the most diversified choice of body styles, engine and transmissions of any mid-sized vehicle line, all delivered with standard Zoom-Zoom.

Like every Mazda, the MAZDA6 Sport Wagon and 5-Door come with a four-year roadside assistance program. With a call to a toll-free number, MAZDA6 Sport Wagon and 5-Door owners can access roadside assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year throughout the United States and Canada. For all 2004 Mazda vehicles, the company will provide a free loaner car in the event a warrantable condition requires the use of alternative transportation.

The 2004 MAZDA6 Sport Wagon and 5-Door are covered by a comprehensive four-year/50,000-mile warranty that covers every part on the vehicle except those subject to normal wear. In addition, both vehicles are covered by a five-year/unlimited-mileage corrosion warranty.

Mazda North American Operations is responsible for the sales and marketing, customer parts and service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States. Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., MNAO has more than 700 dealerships nationwide.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Mazda NA press release on 6 hatch and wagon

Mazda is officially introducing the hatch and wagon at the LA auto show this week. Maybe they'll say something about pricing and the release date then (though they probably won't).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda NA press release on 6 hatch and wagon'

i already spoke to my dealer he told me tha that the 5 doors will be 27.5 base and the wagon will be about $500 more. I have a sedan and iam trying to trade mine for a 5 door if i get the same monthly payment. I know this guy so I think that I be able to get it. He told me to wait to see the sale of the car first. He has about 15 orders for the 5 doors already. btw I drove the m3 wagon the one I like, I really think it looks much better than the sedan. 5 speeds, sunroof, cd, abs, and others for about 17k, it drives sweet.

oooooooohoohhhoooohh, I almost foget to tell you. Thare were two 03 Honda accords 6 cyl, leather and one of them with nav. I asked him about those two and he told me that they were traded for sixes.:D :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Note that the press release finally gives us US spec cargo space for the wagon, at 33.7 cubic feet.

For some reason, the rest of the world seems to measure wagon cargo volume with the cargo cover closed. In the US, they give us the total space, floor to ceiling.

We'll be giving up some cargo space by trading in our Passat wagon which has 38 cu ft, but 33.7 is still better than most wagons out there. The Passat has even more cargo space than the Volvo V70, so without going to an SUV or minivan, I knew we'd be giving up some space.

M

·
0 Posts

Originally posted by dagtang6

i already spoke to my dealer he told me tha that the 5 doors will be 27.5 base and the wagon will be about $500 more.  

$27,500 base?!? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
37 Posts

27.5k base, meaning that you need to spend some more for things like moonroof, leather and some other options

M

·
0 Posts

Originally posted by wrecked6

I think he means, why the $6k base price hike?
That's what I mean! I had heard a while back that the hatch might be marginally more expensive, by a thousand bucks or so. But $27.5K BASE would put it in a pretty rough field of competition.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Um, Chevy Malibu has a 5dr, no? The MZ6 is claiming its the only one.

·
Registered
218 Posts

damn...expensive hatch...kinda feeling better about my sedan now.:huh

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

i hope its not that much... that would suck for mazda if it was. I would agree that it is bad info that just not smart business to have it that much, shit, buy an RX8

·
Registered
142 Posts

dagtang6 ,

Are you dealing with either Bronx Mazda or Smith-Cairns Mazda? I'm not far from Riverdale, do you happen to have a M6 in steel gray non-sport with lip spoiler?

i already spoke to my dealer he told me tha that the 5 doors will be 27.5 base and the wagon will be about $500 more.  I have a sedan and iam trying to trade mine for a 5 door if i get the same monthly payment.  I know this guy so I think that I be able to get it.  He told me to wait to see the sale of the car first.  He has about 15 orders for the 5 doors already.  btw I drove the m3 wagon the one I like, I really think it looks much better than the sedan.  5 speeds, sunroof, cd, abs, and others for about 17k, it drives sweet.

oooooooohoohhhoooohh, I almost foget to tell you.  Thare were two 03 Honda accords 6 cyl, leather and one of them with nav.  I asked him about those two and he told me that they were traded for sixes.:D :D

·
Registered
37 Posts

Syncrosis,
Good to know that there are people here in tha bronx that are driving good machines. for your answer syncrosis Iam dealing with smith-cairns, I usually deal with them because they negotiate better than bronx mazda. I have an steel grey non-sport, 6s with moonroof, leather, rear wing and lower fog lights. I f you ever see m6 with the fogs and the low lights on that is me. I just like to show them becasue all m6 drivers look at me like how in the f*****k he did that. Yes, guys i got a set up that runs my lower fogs alone with my lower lights. (no pictures at this time, maybe i be motivated to use my digital camera).

BTW IAM PRETTY SURE ABOUT THE 5 DOOR PRICE TAG, HE LOOKED IT UP RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. HE TOLD ME 27.5 FOR THE 5 DOOR. HE ALSO TOLD ME THAT HIS ORDERS WILL START COMING IN ABOUT 10 WEEKS, WHICH MAKES IT ABOUT MARCH OF 04. I'LL BE THERE WATING TO SEE THIS THING FIRST HAND. HE TOLD ME THAT PRODUCTION IS STARTING SOON, AND THAT HE HAS NOT SEEN ONE IN PERSON YET.:(

MMARFAN THE 23.5K YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS FOR THE 5I, THE 5S FULLY LOADED WILL BE 27.5K. YES THEY ARE CALLED 5i and 5s.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Dagtang6,

27.5 for the 6S hatchback fully loaded sounds more like it.

Not driving yet. I was ready to get the 6 sedan then I saw the hatchback thanx to this forum and I decided to wait until it's released in the states to make my decision between the sedan and the hatchback. I test drove the 6 at Smith-Cairns, great car the 6S.

Syncrosis,
Good to know that there are people here in tha bronx that are driving good machines.  for your answer syncrosis Iam dealing with smith-cairns, I usually deal with them because they negotiate better than bronx mazda.  I have an steel grey non-sport, 6s with moonroof, leather, rear wing and lower fog lights.  I f you ever see m6 with the fogs and the low lights on that is me.  I just like to show them becasue all m6 drivers look at me like how in the f*****k he did that.  Yes, guys i got a set up that runs my lower fogs alone with my lower lights. (no pictures at this time, maybe i be motivated to use my digital camera).

BTW IAM PRETTY SURE ABOUT THE 5 DOOR PRICE TAG, HE LOOKED IT UP RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.  HE TOLD ME 27.5 FOR THE 5 DOOR.  HE ALSO TOLD ME THAT HIS ORDERS WILL START COMING IN ABOUT 10 WEEKS, WHICH MAKES IT ABOUT MARCH OF 04.  I'LL BE THERE WATING TO SEE THIS THING FIRST HAND.  HE TOLD ME THAT PRODUCTION IS STARTING SOON, AND THAT HE HAS NOT SEEN ONE IN PERSON YET.:(  

MMARFAN THE 23.5K YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS FOR THE 5I, THE 5S FULLY LOADED WILL BE 27.5K.  YES THEY ARE CALLED 5i and 5s.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Mazda NA press release on 6 hatch and wagon'

if the base is 27.5 I guess Im going with the sedan =/ (not that its too bad a thing but well you know)

M

·
0 Posts

There's just no way the hatch starts $6K higher than the sedan. Throw in nav and whatever other options are available and you're looking straight into the headlights of a G35, or 325i, or IS300, or A4.

I agree that the $27.5K figure may refer to a loaded, nav 6S hatch.

·
Registered
747 Posts

Originally posted by MZ6ZoomZoom
Um, Chevy Malibu has a 5dr, no?  The MZ6 is claiming its the only one.
Well, I think it's one of two things, either:

- The Malibu Maxx is considered a wagon, not a "5-door"/hatchback; or

- Mazda meant the MZ6 is the only 5-door you'd actually want to be seen in... have you seen the Maxx?

maxx pic here

More rolling ugly from the Mark of Excellence, GM. the back end looks really familiar - can't put my finger on it - but the whole car appears as if they just slapped the rear end of an old hatchback onto the front 2/3 of a sedan...

But Mazda charging a several thousand dollar premium for the 5th door? I'm glad I didn't wait for it. I'm betting there will be big incentives on the car next fall if that pricing persists...

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

I dunno, the Malibu 4 dr has turned out pretty damn nice in person.

Anyway, that $27.5k figure will not include nav, moosecat. I agree that it does sound right for a fully loaded one though, as it's less than a grand over the sedan.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts