Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Why did I immediately think of a hybrid rotary, and why does that sound so dirty?...

·
Registered
941 Posts
About time, the world is making a big shift towards electrics, I think it is going to happen far sooner than any of us think.

We are in the golden age of the gasoline engine. Electrics will rule within 25yrs. Just my humble prediction.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I always get concerned about the classic machines when this topic comes up. I agree the future is electric, but I have zero interest in converting my 55 MG TF to electric. Part of the fun is the noise, smell and ancient driving experience of the gearbox. I hope they develop a dino alternative fuel so I can continue to enjoy that machine.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Electric will take off once the technology is better (it's still in its infancy much like solar) and it no longer needs to be government subsidized.

Internal combustions will continue strong for quite some time, especially if Mazda keeps up with their breakthrough research.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As electric powdered vehicles become more popular I wonder how the decreased revenue from the state gasoline taxes will be compensated for? Taxes on electricity?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here they want to push a mileage tax. eventually they'll figure out how to do it without pissing everyone off. I drive 60 miles a day. I'm not a fan. It will be in addition to the tax from gasoline.

"Additionally, Cullerton’s proposal would have required drivers to either install a tracking devices to monitor mileage or pay a flat annual rate of $450. Facing major opposition, the Senate leader was ultimately forced to kill his own bill.

In light of these efforts, a group of 16 House members have signed on to a resolution opposing a VMT tax. As pointed out in the language of the resolution, “[a VMT tax] would impose undue hardship and disproportionally impact rural Illinoisans who must drive longer distances for work and school.” Sens. Andy Manar, D-Bunker Hill and Tom Cullerton, D-Villa Park introduced a similar resolution in the Senate.

Per-mile gas taxes raise serious privacy concerns. As Cullerton’s bill illustrated, drivers may be required to install devices to monitor miles driven in the event of a VMT tax. Not to mention that a VMT tax would only add to Illinoisans’ already-punishing tax burden."

·
Registered
174 Posts
As electric powdered vehicles become more popular I wonder how the decreased revenue from the state gasoline taxes will be compensated for? Taxes on electricity?
There are a few plans out there in various stages to increase revenues from drivers; these may not all go into transportation funding:

1. Congestion pricing: The Bay Bridge between San Francisco and Oakland had a normal toll of $4.00. It is increased to $5 during the weekends and $6 during the morning/evening rush hours. Very similar to "Surge Pricing" used by Uber/Lyft

2. Progressive Registration Fees: Having a newer or more expensive cars increase the license plate cost. A base 2018 Mazda 6 (MSRP $22K) costs $256 for plates. A top of the line 2003 Mazda 6 (original price about the same) pays only $35.

3. VMT (Vehicle Miles Traveled)- Pretty simple, they tax per mile driven. Still in planning/testing/proposal stages. Main thing against it is a concern for privacy.

Here they want to push a mileage tax. eventually they'll figure out how to do it without pissing everyone off. I drive 60 miles a day. I'm not a fan. It will be in addition to the tax from gasoline.
...either install a tracking devices to monitor mileage or pay a flat annual rate of $450.
Good old Illinois and layers of taxing. Your actual gas tax is well below the national average (19 cents vs 30), but then you get charged sales tax on top of it (near 10% in Cook County). On the bright side is that combined it is still 20 cents less per gallon than Pennsylvania and there 58 cents

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
2020 will be year of EV cars, a lot of Ev debuts from the likes of Porsche, VW, Mercedes, etc. Glad to see Mazda in on it but a little slow to it.

As long as gas prices remain relatively low, EV is going to struggle. Prius sales last year dropped 16% for example. Outside of major urban centers in California, I don't see where EV is going to hold any kind of advantage. Especially without any infrastructure. If EVs are going to overtake ICEs, they need to:

1) Bring down costs.... big time
2) Heavily expand recharging infrastructure. This includes what I think will be the biggest challenge: Multi-family housing units.

3) Fuel prices are going to have to skyrocket again
4) Increased range and reduced recharge times. Either that, or battery swap stations
5) BIGGER VEHICLES! The US has a bloodlust for SUVs and trucks and right now there are ZERO options for a full EV in either format. Hybrid options, outside of Toyota, are also thin to none.

In short, for EVs to catch on either the government is going to have to force them on us or automakers are going to have to appeal to what consumers want. I see the first being attempted before the second.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are a few plans out there in various stages to increase revenues from drivers; these may not all go into transportation funding:

1. Congestion pricing: The Bay Bridge between San Francisco and Oakland had a normal toll of $4.00. It is increased to $5 during the weekends and $6 during the morning/evening rush hours. Very similar to "Surge Pricing" used by Uber/Lyft

2. Progressive Registration Fees: Having a newer or more expensive cars increase the license plate cost. A base 2018 Mazda 6 (MSRP $22K) costs $256 for plates. A top of the line 2003 Mazda 6 (original price about the same) pays only $35.

3. VMT (Vehicle Miles Traveled)- Pretty simple, they tax per mile driven. Still in planning/testing/proposal stages. Main thing against it is a concern for privacy.

Good old Illinois and layers of taxing. Your actual gas tax is well below the national average (19 cents vs 30), but then you get charged sales tax on top of it (near 10% in Cook County). On the bright side is that combined it is still 20 cents less per gallon than Pennsylvania and there 58 cents
This kind of taxing is really frustrating in areas where the majority can no longer afford to live near work. The wealthy who can afford to live in the city won't be paying, it's everyone else who has to commute to afford a place to live. I live in SoCal, I don't know anyone who wants and is choosing to live far out and be stuck in traffic for hours to get to a their job, but one is looking at 700K minimum to own near the majority of industry here and near 2000K to rent an apt, more for a house. Public transportation is pretty much useless. I will never support a VMT or anything like it.

I'm a "educated professional" usually surrounded by the liberal well off, but I grew up working class in a poor neighborhood and sometimes I am astounded at how clueless people can be, but that's by design.

I'm not shooting the messenger here, just commenting on how I feel about the ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
Brightshen
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing