Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there have been a lot of people talking about installing gauges and CAI's, or exhausts on there rides. I'm just wondering what that is doing to any warranty plan on the car? I added the 60Months/100,000km warranty plan onto my finance, beings thats the length of the finance, and I'm worried that the dealership will not warranty the car if there is aftermarket parts intsalled? I was hoping to install a boost gauge, maybe amp and subs... and the underglow light kit from my old car. The most I would be doing is hooking a 12volt source up for each item, t'ing the boost for the gauge, and tapping the radio for the subwoofer hookup. All do-able via this sites help. But I'm worried that mazda will void any warranty on the car if I do any of the above mentioned... has anyone talked to the dealer and knows what they say about doing this? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats a good thing to hear, or well... hehe I guess read! But I am going outside now to install my gauge. :) Thanks.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Same here - I have a CAI (dealer installed )and asked service manager about a cat back - they said the warranty just does not cover those items.

The thing to do is talk to your service manager up front.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It will always depend on the dealer. But understand, if there is any possibility that in any way the product could have possibly affected the failed part they will not cover it. Service managers can tell you whatever they want before hand, but that doesnt mean that they will actually have the same reaction when you bring the car in for a warranty repair. I ALWAYS keep my factory parts and remove any aftermarket parts from my car before taking it in for warranty repairs. That way there is no way for them to decline warranty repair. But thats just my .02 cents after working for a dealership for a few years.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Will my mods void my warranty?

There is life outside the MS6 forum. ;)

Gauge your dealership and how amenable they are to modifications.

Quoth the Crossbow, nevermore:

I should add this to this thread.

If you don't know what a mod is...

If you don't understand what the mod does...

If your the least bit worried about how a mod will effect your car...

DO NOT DO THE MOD. [/b]

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Actually, guys, the stuff regarding factory warranties is not the same thing that this guy is asking. He's specifically asking about Extended Warranties the he "added".

Consumers are NOT protected by the Magnuson-Moss Act with regards to the Extended Warranties. The provider of your extended warranty has the right to make any demands on you that they please and they have no burden of proof to meet in regards to your aftermarket parts and warranty claims. They can refuse to cover you for any reason they choose. Read the paperwork of your extended warranty -- it will almost certainly explicitly state that any additional aftermarket parts of any sort void your warranty.

So, while you do have consumer protection for the duration of the factory warranty, your 'additional' warranty that you paid for can possiby be voided with any modifications done to the car whatsoever. Most will not take it much further than a factory warranty would, but it is their perogative, and your court battle with an extended warranty provider would be MUCH harder fought than one against the manufacturer if they decided to decline you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts