Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 MTX V6. I have lost a substantial amount of HP. I have gone from 187 WHP to 115WHP. I noticed today that i have a clicking noise at idle but when its revs the clicks become louder and kind of crack. Anybody have any suggestions to what this is?? Iam scheduled to go to the dealer in a week or so but i would like to know what the problem is before i go in and whether or not it is safe to drive with it like this. Any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would first check the oil level immediately if you have not done so already and take the car to the dealer ASAP with as little driving as possible between.

·
Registered
176 Posts
my thoughts precisely.... another potential case of excessive oil consumption..... and possible engine damage...damn shame

take a look around the posts you will see other stories of similar issues

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i just checked the oil level and it is a little bit low but not noticable. I just had an oil change but i guess it only takes a quart low to have a spun rod bearing. This really sucks. First the clutch now this!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He checked hp on a dyno, but not the oil level? I don't believe you.
[/b]
I dont get it??? I checked the oil level and then tested it. It was not a true dyno but one from a gtech. although it is not 100 % accurate it is still accurate enough to see a big HP loss. I was stumped about the loss so i popped the hood while the car was running to see if i noticed anyting fishy, and this is when i noticed the noise. I then gave it a little rev and when the noise became louder and harsher i knew something was out of the ordinary and not right. Drove it right home parked it and it has been sitting there since.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I think something just broke inside your engine. I don't think it's because of the oil since you're not running it below the empty mark.

You should take it to the dealership ASAP. If you feel that it's too damaged, don't drive it. Go and tow the car to the dealership.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Definitely take it to the dealer, could be a number of things...

Edit: I just reread your first post, the clicking/tapping would indicate oil, but if the level is OK, it could be an oil pressure thing or even something wrong with the valves themselves. I'm not sure low oil pressure would cause powerloss, unless things ust can't move inside the engine, in which case you'e in real trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Oil consumption.

You said you just had an oil change done and it is low now, signs that it is consuming oil at an alarming rate and that between that oil change and the one prior to it, the oil got quite low. Oil level, even to the point of an empty oil pan will not set a Check Engine light until it is too late. Especially since every DTC code are more for emissions than actual engine performance diagnosis. So by the time the lack of lubrication has affected a monitored component, its bad, very, very bad.

Lack of lubrication can cause more than a spun rod or main bearing, to which the engine would cease to function. The camshaft bearings can become worn, potentially causing a notch in the cam lobes (Which would set valve timing off or put it sporadic, which if my knowledge of the Ford iVCT system is correct, the oil control valves for the variable cam timing would go into default mode, which means default cam timings, the safest timings for engine operation (Which would explain a drastic drop in engine output). The rockers can make noise and eventually fail, sticking rockers from lack of lubrication can also cause a loss of engine output.

In any case, its a lubrication issue, TOW to the dealer because the engine can fail at anytime and have the engine replaced under warranty. Then when you get it back with a new engine, make sure you do my PCV valve mod to prevent this from happening again, since Mazda STILL has done nothing with the factory PCV design that is prone to failure, like in your case.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not low though

Could it be the ticking TSB and bad spark plugs. would that make it lose that much power?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Its not low though

Could it be the ticking TSB and bad spark plugs. would that make it lose that much power?
[/b]
Nope, from what I remember, the ticking came from an emissions component outside of the engine, on the firewall.

Bad plugs would misfire, thus setting a Cylinder # Misfire Detected DTC and Check Engine light.

Even the worst quick lube places check the oil dipstick before backing the car out to make sure the oil level is right, so they don't have a complaining customer coming back.

Its low now you say, where did that oil go? It didn't just up and disappear and as stated, even the worst quick lube place wouldn't let it leave low on oil.

Let me explain how the PCV system works. The valve inside the PCV valve opens and closes from variations in vacuum between the intake manifold it is connected to via a hose and the camshaft gallery, to which it is screwed into. When the PCV valve fails and is stuck open, that vacuum from the intake manifold acts like a vacuum cleaner, sucking up oil as it nears the PCV valve, injesting it into the intake manifold and into the cylinders to which it is combusted with the air-fuel mixture and exits into the exhaust system.

At the very top end of the motor, where the PCV valve is located are the camshafts and the camshaft bearings. Oil would be drawn away from these first. The timing chains are lubricated via an oil relief from the camshaft bearings. So if little to no oil is going through the bearing, little to no oil is lubricating the timing chains. Just beneath the camshafts are the rocker arms. When you consider the fact the top end of the motor is not exactly drowning in oil, even a tiny bit of oil drawn away from the top end can affect the rockers on the rocker arms.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Its low now you say, where did that oil go? It didn't just up and disappear and as stated, even the worst quick lube place wouldn't let it leave low on oil.
[/b]
He said it's NOT low now.

Man you mentioned you've had clutch issues... so I assume your transmission has been out recently. You are sure this rattling noise is coming from the motor, right?

As long as my car was making loud rattling noises and not running correctly, I wouldn't be out testing my HP with my G-tech, either... :nono: :D

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
He said it's NOT low now.

Man you mentioned you've had clutch issues... so I assume your transmission has been out recently. You are sure this rattling noise is coming from the motor, right?

As long as my car was making loud rattling noises and not running correctly, I wouldn't be out testing my HP with my G-tech, either... :nono: :D
[/b]
My head hurts...

"Yesterday, 06:18 PM | Post #4|

Yeah i just checked the oil level and it is a little bit low but not noticable. I just had an oil change"

De he check and then change the oil? Do did he already have the oil change done, found it low and then added a quart?

Oww...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry let me clear some things up...if you look at the dipstick it is in between the proper filling lines. Its is a little bit lower then normal but it came from the dealership that way when i had the oil change. I didnt notice the noise until after i tested HP otherwise i wouldnt have even thought about testing it. Another odd noise that i have noticed coming from the upper left cylinder bank is a wistle noise if it is reved at all. Could the clutch be the issue of HP loss because iam not getting the proper clasp or is this beyond that? Thank you for all your responses, Especially 84FordMan, and if you need any more info to help me locate my problem please let me know.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im headed to the dealership this weekend just wondering if anybody cuold give me any hints as to what the problem may be

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Im headed to the dealership this weekend just wondering if anybody cuold give me any hints as to what the problem may be
[/b]
It's not that we're ignoring you. It is just difficult to diagnose engine problem just by reading it alone. We need to see, hear, feel and even after that, you probably need to open up the engine to see what's up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts