Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
F350? Not quite. Last time I checked, a Ford Superduty didn't come with a 4.0L v6. And that's the biggest engine it comes with (aside from the 2.5 turbo w/ tons of torque). Why buy a full size truck with a v6.

I'll take a v8 tundra all day long.

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
Uhh, no.

Mazda should AVOID the pick-up truck business altogether. The B-series (and the Ranger it's based on) is so outdated and outmatched, it's embarrassing. Pontiac, Audi, and BMW don't have pick-ups, why should Mazda?

They'd be better off putting their $$$$ into what they know, and improving upon that.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Sakes Alive! Sakes Alive! Mazda's got a sporty truck for just Fifty-Nine-Ninety-Five! (or $5795)!

Mazda B2000 SE-5 Plus 5.

Our family owned a total of four real Bazda B-series pickups. They had the best compact pickup in the market, and then it all got destroyed when they moronically cloned it to the Ranger.

·
Registered
990 Posts
looks alot like a current Tundra...down to the wheels.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Sakes Alive! Sakes Alive! Mazda's got a sporty truck for just Fifty-Nine-Ninety-Five! (or $5795)!

Mazda B2000 SE-5 Plus 5.

Our family owned a total of four real Bazda B-series pickups. They had the best compact pickup in the market, and then it all got destroyed when they moronically cloned it to the Ranger.
[/b]
That is pricely what my dad bought brand new in 1986. Great truck. Lasted us 210K miles. I got it as a hand-me-down in '96 and kept it for a few years until I gave it to my younger brother. Did yours have those cheesy graphics on the side? Ours did. Bright red with grey/black graphics down the side.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Mazda B2000 SE-5 Plus 5.

[/b]
the TRUTH be TOLD.. The B series and the NAVAJO were Xcellent until the 3rd year after the merger when they became vanilla Fords...
And for those too young.. Ranger, which proceeded the Courier and the and Little ity bitty Explorer ARE Mazdas cheapened by FORD to sell for higher profit in the U.S. Not the other way around.
Just a little FYI .. :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
the TRUTH be TOLD.. The B series and the NAVAJO were Xcellent until the 3rd year after the merger when they became vanilla Fords...
And for those too young.. Ranger, which proceeded the Courier and the and Little ity bitty Explorer ARE Mazdas cheapened by FORD to sell for higher profit in the U.S. Not the other way around.
Just a little FYI .. :)
[/b]
you've mentioned something about this before...and you were wrong then.

You're telling me that Mazda designed the original Explorer. They let Ford introduce it in 1990 & decided to hold their version until 1991. I don't think so. The Navajo was a 2-door Explorer with slightly different front & rear ends. Mazda didn't sell the 4-door version because at the time, they had a 4WD version of the MPV that they thought consumers would buy if they needed more room than the Navajo.

And the Ranger....it was around before Mazda starting selling their B-Series versions of it. The Ranger was intro'd in the early-mid 80's when Mazda was selling their B-series (the old Mazda designed version). The reason they switched to the Ranger-based truck was Mazda was struggling & didn't have the funds to create an all-new truck when the somewhat new Ranger was availabe.

If I'm wrong in any of this, please provide some sort of proof.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Ford rebadged a Mazda B-series to make the Ford Courier. Everyone did it. The Chevrolet LUV was an Isuzu and the Dodge D-50 was a Mitsubishi Mighty Max (later). They had tried in this era with a Omni-based Dodge Rampage.

Anyway, Ford came out with the Ranger in 1983 (IIRC) on its own platform. The Mazda B2000 was redesigned in 1984 or 1985 to a wonderful compact truck. Roomy, refined, comfortable, and fun to drive, the Mazda B-series sold extremely well. Used B-series pickups (particularly CabPlus models) were in high demand and had extremely high resale (think Mazda3 today). Later additions were the 2.2 litre engine when the 626 engine grew in 1988 and a 2.6 litre 4x4 version (also available on 2x4 LX models). I always thought they should have offered the MPV/929 3.0 litre V6 as a top engine.

Then, in a bout of extreme and total stupidity, Mazda allowed the beloved B-series pickup to become a Ranger clone. Sales dropped drastically, as the import compact truck buyer and the domestic compact truck buyer were two totally different types of people.

·
Registered
490 Posts
So true ZoomZoom Diva!! .. Mazda dropped the Navajo and the B series due to competition within FORD corp. from the Board. As the BOYS thought it would increase the slumping sales once the competition was limited.
Be that as it may, they, as with today in many ways, still didn't get it.
-
I rebuilt ford Explorer front ends and trannies by installing Navajo parts. 100% compatible. Why? They were Japan design and MFG. and xfer'd to the US so the tag would read " BUILT in the USA ".
A trick Still used today.
Just as the Jeep I had with Renault intake on Isuzu/Nissan aluminum developed head on an Iron GM block from AMC inventory. GREAT engine, shitty carb and intake.

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
Mazda dropped the Navajo and the B series due to competition within FORD corp. from the Board.
[/b]
Wrong.
I rebuilt ford Explorer front ends and trannies by installing Navajo parts. 100% compatible. Why? They were Japan design and MFG. and xfer'd to the US so the tag would read " BUILT in the USA ".
[/b]
Wrong again.

gdspc is right, the Navajo was a re-badged FORD, NOT the other way around! Mazda wanted a version of the Explorer to boost sales, considering the SUV trend was getting hot, and Mazda had nothing to start with, and couldn't afford to create their own. Want proof?

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/re...ex.cfm/id/2199/
http://www.answers.com/topic/mazda-navajo

·
Registered
990 Posts
So true ZoomZoom Diva!! .. Mazda dropped the Navajo and the B series due to competition within FORD corp. from the Board. As the BOYS thought it would increase the slumping sales once the competition was limited.
Be that as it may, they, as with today in many ways, still didn't get it.
-
Just as the Jeep I had with Renault intake on Isuzu/Nissan aluminum developed head on an Iron GM block from AMC inventory. GREAT engine, shitty carb and intake.
[/b]
your thinking makes absolutely no sense. First of all Mazda has not dropped the B-Series...its still available. Mazda uses a rebadged Ranger as they don't have the funding to develop a whole new truck. Second...Mazda did not drop the Navajo due to competition from Ford. They dropped it because sales of 2-door SUV's were tanking. The Explorer was not a Japanese design....it was a thorough evolution of the BroncoII.

Going by your thinking...if Ford was so concerned about competition from within, why would they let Mazda sell the Tribute (a face-lifted Escape...that Mazda did have more developemental input on)? Hell...they should also stop the Mercury Mariner while they're at it...competition is bad :sarc:

·
Registered
863 Posts
I hate when people spout out all this stuff they "know" when their "facts" are based purely on what they beleive to be true. Thats how our world walks around so misinformed all the time. Why cant people, if they are not absolutely certain,just say that they are not absolutely certain?

Our current Ranger infact dates back to 1982. It was engineered by Ford to replace the Mazda Engineered Ford Courier. The Courier was a rebadge of the Mazda B-series. In 1993, Ford did a heavy refresh (still same platform as 1982) on the Ranger, and in 1994, the American B-series became a rebadged Ranger. All other markets still had the Mazda engineered truck. In some markets, the Ford Ranger is indeed a Mazda B-series rebadge, but not in the states.

Now the Explorer/Navajo situation
The Explorer was ntroduced in 1990 as a 1991 Model. It replaced the Bronco II. Both the Explorer and Bronco II were based on the same platform as the 1982 Ranger. Mazda introduced the Mazda Navajo in 1991 as a rebadge of the 4x4 2 door Explorer. 4x2 was added to the Navajo in 1992. In 1995, the Navajo was no more. Due to poor sales, there was no need to give it the same refresh the Explorer received that year. In 2002, the Explorer finally lost in kinship with the Ranger and Explorer Sport-trak when it moved to its own platform.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Diva,

Most of your comments are pretty respectful, but this thread here wipes the slate clean as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I'm as confused as anyone... I call car companies stupid all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing