Mazda 6 Forums banner

Mazda Drops 6 spots in Reliability-Consumer Reports

8K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  ocramida 
#1 ·
#5 ·
lol taking consumereports as gospel? those guys have bought and sold by big companies, they always love to hate on American cars and have bias towards Honda/Toyota because that's what their readers and most people falsely believe and buy into. Ultimately, their data is completely gathered from surveys of their reader base who self-report issues. Therein lies the problem; people don't know what their own issues are.

#6 ·
CR lost me years ago when the Chevy Cavalier was on the recommended list when all around us were Cavaliers that were literally falling apart and had tons of quality issues even with low miles. I do my own research by going to forums of the car make and models and reading about what the issues were that were being experienced and of course my own personal and friends/family experiences. With cars I'm interested in as well I use carproblems.com to help identify potential major issues and fixes that might be available with drill down on what those are i.e. clutch issues with Mazda3 in the 2010 year models or the infamous transmission failure issue with the Honda Accord (and other with same) v-6 models. I've found that site helpful in doing a decent job in capturing issues that can help staying away from problematic issues. I haven't or don't see issues with current Mazda6 2.5L engine especially when coupled with the manual transmission and also with the 2016 CX-9 as of yet anyway since it's a new model.

#7 · (Edited)
I had a chevy cavalier. The engine is the only good thing about that car in terms of reliability. Everything else is crap quality lol I had the cavalier for 10 years and not once it failed me, but the interior and exterior was going to shit. Nothing but regular maintenance.

As I've said before, consumer reports probably gets paid by companies, especially auto makers.

#8 ·
My Gf's mom was looking to get the new CX9. We all went for a test drive. She said "not fast enough." She ended up with an Edge with a V6... couldn't talk her into a Mazda :( Once I start a family, I would get a CX-9, it's probably the best looking and fun to drive SUV in this range.

#11 ·
Anecdote here, but I've run into a handful of people at the local Mazda stealer with CX-9s being checked in with odd and expensive repair items.

Just because one part of a maker's line is good doesn't mean they all are. Notably, however, all so far have been engines BEFORE the new Sky-Turbo.

Then again I don't spend much time there -- I go to buy oil filters once a year or thereabouts, so..... YMMV.

#12 ·
My wife had a 2014 CX-9 that I did not like. A few months in the transfer case "exploded" spewing gear oil and bits of metal all over the place. Fixed under warranty but it smelled for months. All kinds of rattling when the AC was on. Poor interior design, a pig on gas, handling was very truck-like. I thought it was very much NOT like the rest of the Mazda lineup. We had driven a CX-5 at the time and I liked that a lot better, but she wanted the third row. I assume Mazda got it's stuff together with the latest CX-9, but that previous generation? Well, now my wife drives an Outback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.