Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a lot of fun driving RF Miata 6MT and Ragtop Miata 6MT + Mazda6T and Mazda3 GT A/T 2.5 FWD at captioned event today. The former cars are nicely tail-happy / rotateable and the 6mt is slick. Both were very nice. I can see why they are so loved. Mazda6T was surprisingly good in curves / serpentine... despite that not being its mission in life. I actually liked Mz6T better than new Mz3 2.5 GT A/T FWD on this course. The latter had mega understeer; mind you tires were wet having just gone over a simulated slick surface. Mz6T not so much, albeit not wet tires. It would rotate a bit. 'Real surprised. Mz6T is a nice car!

Mazda Canada outdid themselves at this event. I was not disappointed to take some considerable time to go!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hehe... when I graduated university, some CONSIDERABLE years ago, I (in my final year) bought a Datsun 510 2 dr (Bluebird, for those outside of North America) and I set it up specifically for autoslalom. I had wanted a car that I could slalom with total impunity... no worries re wearing out my car, no worries about wailing on it. Set it up with 1" sway bar (bushed in Delrin) - front, and 3/4" sway bar behind (bushed in rubber). Upgraded rim width - to a wider setup... added sportier shocks, and went to sticky rubber. I learned how to heel and toe / double-clutch...and 'boy was that car tail-happy (mostly on trailing throttle... semi-trailing arm rear suspension, RWD, and not much power out of the 1.6 litre engine - not always the quickest way around a course, I know... but lotsa fun). Taking the two Miata's out... on Saturday - it all came back to me. The adrenaline rush was pretty intense.

And sorry, all of you young bucks out there... I think I was the most aggressive on the track lol... and there were a lot of young guys at that event!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I always confuse myself with understeer and oversteer. Do you have a tip for me?

I mean, just like stalactite and stalagmite. One is above while the other is on the ground. I just remember where C is for ceiling while G is for ground.

So, stalaCtite is above and stalaGmite is on ground.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I always confuse myself with understeer and oversteer. Do you have a tip for me?

I mean, just like stalactite and stalagmite. One is above while the other is on the ground. I just remember where C is for ceiling while G is for ground.

So, stalaCtite is above and stalaGmite is on ground.
I don't have a similar way of remembering this... it is just that:

- understeer is when the front wheels are laterally slipping... and you have to turn the steering wheel MORE than you would if they were not slipping. It is UNDER steering.

- oversteer is when the rear of the car is skidding laterally... and typically, then, you have to turn the front wheels... i.e. the steering wheel - to follow the rear of the car, i.e. in the SAME direction as the skidding direction.

- So, say you are turning left... but the rear wheels are skidding out (and accordingly the centreline of the car is rotating more to the left than you want it to...i.e. it is OVER steering); then, you have to apply opposite-lock steering ... meaning you have to turn the steering wheel to the right... to, so-to-speak, chase-after the rear of the car.

- oversteer can occur due to the application of more throttle than the tires can stand, by way of adhesion (when it is a rear wheel drive car); or

- oversteer can also occur when the weight transfers to the front wheels, like say, when you back-off the throttle. The more (vertically) heavily loaded front tires then tend to skid less (when going around the corner), and the less (vertically) loaded rear tires tend to skid MORE... and so you get "trailing throttle" oversteer... say, on a Front Wheel Drive car... but indeed, on any car, whether fwd or rwd. It's just, with an FWD car, you cannot get oversteer by applying the throttle. Applying throttle, indeed, does the opposite: it gives you more understeer.

Transitioning the weight distribution can also occur with a light application of the brakes while turning. This is known as "upsetting" the chassis, and it will lead to oversteer. This is 'kinda where the "left foot braking" term comes from.

To close: the only two ways you can get a front wheel drive car to oversteer is - with trailing throttle, or by upsetting the chassis. A rear wheel drive car can be induced into oversteer in exactly the same way... but it has the added flexibility (if it is powerful enough) to allow excessive throttle application to ALSO cause oversteer. Drifting is just this throttle-induced oversteer.

For performance applications, usually, folks favour rear wheel drive cars - as they are more flexible, so to speak. Having said this, rally drivers can really wheel an FWD car around in the dirt... pendulum turns and all, hehe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a great time at the event as well Only sampled the new Mazda3 hatch FWD, CX5 turbo and the MX5. I did however get to drive the MX5 3 times all manual. Due to the course layout I was only able get up to 2nd gear. The thing feels like one big go kart, very nimble with excellent Brembo brakes. On that course you aren’t wanting for power, the 181 hp in the engine was more than adequate since the thing is so bloody light even with two bigs guys in the seats. The confines of the interior are rather tight though. The new 3 looks like a winner as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
604mazda6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing