Mazda 6 Forums banner

Mazda Diagnostic Tool for Car Alarm (Door Actuator)

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  tango 
#1 ·
I have tried all the suggestions for the random alarm issues that plague our Mazdas.
Is there a Mazda diagnostic tool that I can purchase that will tell me which of the door actuators is causing the alarm?
If it is a reasonable cost, I can DIY the actuator replacement.

#2 ·
This is a recurring decimal for Mazda6 owners. I am convinced there is no solution. I have connected ForScan to my car immediately after one of those events and there was nothing to see. I have tried to think back on what I did differently while closing the doors that caused the alarm to be triggered, but to no avail. Members have replaced actuators, to no avail. Members have deactivated hood sensors, to no avail. If you can truly figure out what's going on you might not get rich, but you will certainly be very popular.

#5 ·
While doing a completely unrelated search through the workshop manual, I came across "THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM READING FREEZE FRAME DATA". The instructions for this procedure is to connect the M-MDS (Mazda Modular Diagnostic System), from the menu select "Body", then "Burglar Service Functions", then "Read FFD". These steps are missing from ForScan. I'm not surprised, since ForScan is intended for Fords and will work for Mazdas for most major systems. Thus, the only way to view this data would be to visit a dealer or somebody who has M-MDS and have them read the freeze frame for the antitheft system. Buying M-MDS is a very expensive prospect for most of us, unfortunately.

#7 ·
Dealership wants $180 to connect to their M-MDS. Then it would be another $80 per door acctuator + labor if I wanted them to do it.
Not worth it to me for a 13 year old car. I'll just keep it unlocked while parked in our driveway and locked other places. I put a little post-it not inside the armrest box that says, "smile...your being recorded" 😄
I took everything valuable out of the car.

#6 ·
Prob the hood sensor.

#8 ·
Interestingly, I disconnected my hood sensor and my alarm still went off. There is a bug in these cars that I think we could trace once and for all if we had the freeze frame data. I wonder if the guys over at ForScan could add that to it.

Reactions: TalonTsi90
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.