Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
316 Posts
Not impressive numbers considering the engine is turbo charged and requires premium fuel, not given 87 octane hp/torque.
Depends on how it drives and the fuel efficiency it can get for what it costs - if it's priced like a Highlander or a Telluride, it's going to seem pretty great. That said, BMW's B58 is really the top dog of I6's and I doubt this motor will be as powerful/fuel efficient. HP/L is pretty similar to the 2.5T, so a tune should bring it up to around 400 HP crank if more power is needed.

· Administrator
18,898 Posts
Put it in a new 6 and you've got my attention.

OR in the CX-50 Meridian, which is the first non-sedan I'd ever be interested in owning if/when my 6 dies. That car is a thing of beauty.

Depends on how it drives and the fuel efficiency it can get for what it costs - if it's priced like a Highlander or a Telluride, it's going to seem pretty great. That said, BMW's B58 is really the top dog of I6's and I doubt this motor will be as powerful/fuel efficient. HP/L is pretty similar to the 2.5T, so a tune should bring it up to around 400 HP crank if more power is needed.
If Mazda is anything like they've been for the last decade, it'll handle great and get excellent MPGs for that size engine - I'm not worried about that but if they can bring the cost down enough to keep people interested.

· Registered
316 Posts
OR in the CX-50 Meridian, which is the first non-sedan I'd ever be interested in owning if/when my 6 dies. That car is a thing of beauty.
You might have to compromise on the CX-70 that's coming. That said, I will be highly interested in the CX-50 once the plug-in hybrid drops - hello Mazda RAV4 Prime!

· Administrator
18,898 Posts
Peak numbers don't mean much. My last car was supposed to be a 2.3l ecoboost mustang, until I drove it and ended up with a 5.0 instead. How it drives is what really matters.
I mean, you're not wrong, but peak numbers still mean something. Your example is not an apt comparisson at all though - of course an engine putting out 150+ more HP is going to feel different in a 3500lb car.

· Registered
38 Posts
I mean, you're not wrong, but peak numbers still mean something. Your example is not an apt comparisson at all though - of course an engine putting out 150+ more HP is going to feel different in a 3500lb car.
Yeah, I was more meaning how the 310 horsepower felt with 2.3l ecoboost. Great low and mid range thrust, but absolutely nothing left up top. Looks good on a spec sheet, but feels pretty awful out on the road. I'd rather have less peak power and a smooth, linear power band. I suppose that's easier said than done when comparing forced induction to naturally aspirated engines, though.

· Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT & 2006 Mazda 6 GT-MT HB
1,069 Posts
Not sure why this is on the Gen 3 section.
If its just one turbo (???) there will be a gap in power in the low range. 340hp is still pretty good but still far from the 400hp the Explorer ST delivers with the twin-turbo V6.
Nice to see manufacturers pushing above 300hp on mid-size SUV's/CUV's and above 400hp on larger ones like the new Sequoia. All with 6 cylinder engines.

· Administrator
18,898 Posts
Nice to see manufacturers pushing above 300hp on mid-size SUV's/CUV's and above 400hp on larger ones like the new Sequoia. All with 6 cylinder engines.
So everyone can roll over faster???.....

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't understand the (seemingly) obsessive need for people to have 300+ WHP family SUVs. The kids don't need to go 0-60 in 5 seconds to get to school :D

· Registered
38 Posts

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't understand the (seemingly) obsessive need for people to have 300+ WHP family SUVs. The kids don't need to go 0-60 in 5 seconds to get to school :D
I agree.....with the rolling over part. Over here, all the real suv drivers are too busy texting and putting their makeup on whilst going 5 to 10 under everywhere in their measly X5M's and their SQ8's.

In all seriousness one of the more common themes I've heard used for these high power "suv's" is that with more power you're putting less stress on the engine, which lends to enhanced longevity (in theory).

· Registered
3,791 Posts
Stick a 7500lb trailer behind that 270HP SUV and then go pull a nice grade and let me know what speed you make up said hill...... :) That is the one challenge I have with mine.... on flat land, no problem at all.

· Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT & 2006 Mazda 6 GT-MT HB
1,069 Posts

I'm the type of person and at a stage in life that like having vehicles with "guts". I refuse to buy anything with less than 6 cylinders (the M6 Gen3 is my daughter's) and always look at hp when shopping for a vehicle. I am not a speeder but I do accelerate faster than average people. I like having the extra hp there for those rare occasions you need them.
My kids learned how to drive in my vehicles and got used to V6's and always had comments to make whenever they drove someone else's 4cyl.
I daily drive a tuned SHO sitting around 450hp, I don't floor it everyday but you should see the smile on my face whenever I do. I also take it to the drag strip on occasion.

So, call me immature 😆 but if the car can't do 0-60 in 7 seconds or less, its not for me.

I've looking around for a while for a replacement for my Pathfinder. The Highlander with its new 4cyl turbo fell off the list so as the SantaFe. The announcement of the new Stellantis' Hurricane twin turbo in-line 6 has me debating to wait for it and now I'm curious to see what this new CX-90 has to offer.

In ten years when I retire I might get a cheap electric vehicle, hybrid or a Civic but for now...

Reactions: Byakuya

· Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
10,187 Posts
Put it in a new 6 and you've got my attention.
Quoted for agreement. Nothing with a Mazda badge will interest me unless it's a 3-box design.
Not sure why this is on the Gen 3 section.
Fixed...

It will be interesting as to how the power acts in the real world. Numbers are one thing, but if it offers nothing when driven the way YOU like to drive, forget it.

· Registered
8,107 Posts
Numbers are one thing, but if it offers nothing when driven the way YOU like to drive, forget it.
This, which is how my experience with the 18 GT Turbo loaner i had was. It was a tire shredder if you drove it right. Never once felt it was slow, but then i know how to drive in the powerband, so thats a big advantage.

· Registered
3,791 Posts
IMHO for ordinary "day to day" torque in the 2k+ range is a LOT more important than higher-RPM horsepower when it comes to drivability. Of course if you get both that's even better but this was one reason the OVT tune IMHO was worth doing on my car; while the top-end horsepower lift was extremely modest bringing the torque band down made a huge difference in day-to-day drivability.

· Registered
2013 Mazda 6i Grand Touring - 2.5L I4 Auto
484 Posts
When you are spending 70 or 80 Large on a vehicle, horsepower numbers are EVERYTHING. It doesn't matter what Mazda wants to think or wants people to think, horsepower numbers sell cars. And the more of it the merrier. Sure, most people cannot actually feel the difference between 340 and 400 hp on their daily commute to work, but again, that's beside the point. This strategy might work when selling a small sportscar ("less weight needs less power", or "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow") but not with a 3-row lumbering behemoth of an SUV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts