Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if you knew this, folks, but the new engine lineup in Mazda6 has been developed in cooperation between Mazda and Cosworth.

You know, those guys who develop racing engines.

Could explain a bit, couldn't it? I mean, take the very flat torque curve, the nice sound or the explosiveness for example. The new engines are great.

(But I spoke to a service guy at my Mazda dealer yesterday, and he claimed his experience from the 1.8 liter engine is that it was too little for this car. Perhaps it is, even though Sigvard is happy with his. I guess it's up to everyone to decide for themselves.:sarc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replying to Topic 'M

Does that include the North American V6?

I don't like 4-bangers - most of them are too wimpy, unless turbo'd. I wouldn't have looked twice @ the Mazda6 (despite it's good looks) - if it didn't have a v6.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'Mazda + Cosworth=true'

I don't know about the V6.

But I can tell you one thing: TRY the fourbangers when you have the chance. You'll be really surprised...

With double balance shafts, the 2.3 behaves like a really good engine...very "V6-like" if you wish...

And the turbo charged one that will come with the MPS - that will kick the V6's ass...:D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Originally posted by Genius

how much do you think the mps will be?[/b]
My guess would be +10 grand...:sarc

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Don't know if you knew this, folks, but the new engine lineup in Mazda6 has been developed in cooperation between Mazda and Cosworth.

You know, those guys who develop racing engines.

Could explain a bit, couldn't it? I mean, take the very flat torque curve, the nice sound or the explosiveness for example. The new engines are great.

(But I spoke to a service guy at my Mazda dealer yesterday, and he claimed his experience from the 1.8 liter engine is that it was too little for this car. Perhaps it is, even though Sigvard is happy with his. I guess it's up to everyone to decide for themselves.:sarc[/b]
Cosworth, err? I know this guys from the Formula 1 and other carracingchampionships..
Is this an official statement? Why not, it wouldn't do any harm to the 6' image :)
Did they do the same job with the MPS?

Coen

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally posted by OppenheimeR

Cosworth, err? I know this guys from the Formula 1 and other carracingchampionships..
Is this an official statement? Why not, it wouldn't do any harm to the 6' image :)

Coen[/b]
Yes, Mazda Sweden uses this in their ads. As official as can be... Dunno 'bout the MPS, but I figure so since it's also based on the fourbanger.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Coen[/b]
Yes, Mazda Sweden uses this in their ads. As official as can be... Dunno 'bout the MPS, but I figure so since it's also based on the fourbanger.[/b][/quote]

Ok, but now I'm wondering why Mazda NL doesn't do they same like Sweden..
:sarc

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

:sarc[/b]
Who can tell? Perhaps it wouldn't be a sales argument according to the NL marketing people?

I never heard (or read) about this until Mazda6 ads started appearing in our papers and magazines. It's not negative, although it doesn't impress me very much either... :sarc

·
Registered
246 Posts

:sarc[/b]
Who can tell? Perhaps it wouldn't be a sales argument according to the NL marketing people?

I never heard (or read) about this until Mazda6 ads started appearing in our papers and magazines. It's not negative, although it doesn't impress me very much either... :sarc [/b][/quote]

I think this wouldn't be negative at all, and it might appeal to people who drive nowadays a Ford ST220 or an Alfa 156 (GTA).. And it might give Mazda's image a little boost ;)

Coen

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Let's not get carried away here boys. Cosworth's involvement with the development of the MZR series has been minimal so far. Basically Ford gave Mazda the Cosworth casting process, which allows for good strength and low costs. This is because Ford has designated Mazda as their "center of excellence" for 4 cylinder engines. Basically, Mazda will be taking over 4 cylinder development as of now, and you'll see these MZRs in everything from Focuses to Mondeos to Fiestas.

This plant has introduced the "Cosworth casting process," which is also used for the peak performance F1 auto-racing engine. This casting process technology has been provided by Ford and Cosworth from England, and then matured and innovated by Mazda-specific technology. Through this, the mass production of quality, lightweight, and compact engines has been attained, and an epoch-making production process, producing at a lower cost than cast iron engines, realized.  
The new engines, in addition to being used in future Mazda products, will also be used by the Ford Group in approximately 2 million units, of which Mazda will produce around 425,000 units, expected to be produced within the next several years. The production base in the Ford Group consists of a total of four plants: the Mazda plant here in Japan, and Ford plants in the U.S., Mexico, and Spain. Production at the United States and the Mexico plants began from the second half of 2000. Mazda has positioned this engine as the cutting edge, global core engine in the Ford Group, and will continue to foster this technology.[/b]
Click here for the link.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Sorry to be a party pooper. But hey, we don't need no stinking Cosworth! We got MazdaSpeed and Racing Beat!

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

Sorry to be a party pooper.  But hey, we don't need no stinking Cosworth!  We got MazdaSpeed and Racing Beat!  [/b]
Racing Beat?? Never heard of (just a few sec's ago then ;)); MazdaSpeed? MPS = Mazda Performance Series sounds much better in my opinion.. And Cosworth; we all know this from the F1, don't we.. Ok, they weren't not that succesfull, but they're still a livin' legend for some who know about their history..

Coen

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

MazdaSpeed? MPS = Mazda Performance Series sounds much better in my opinion..
Coen[/b]
Agreed. MazdaSpeed sounds like a racer-boy wanna be aftermarket company. Mazda Performance Series sounds much more serious and "sophisticated", if you will.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Racing Beat?? Never heard of (just a few sec's ago then ;)); MazdaSpeed? MPS = Mazda Performance Series sounds much better in my opinion.. And Cosworth; we all know this from the F1, don't we.. Ok, they weren't not that succesfull, but they're still a livin' legend for some who know about their history..

Coen[/b]
Coen - By the same token, MazdaSpeed has a lot of cache for those who know its history. The entire Mazda Performance Series idea was done a few years ago, when MazdaSpeed was still independently owned. Mazda put out a few MPS concepts, because at that time they didn't have ownership rights to MazdaSpeed or the MazdaSpeed name. But now they do. Given that there is a MazdaSpeed section on the Mazda website, I'm fairly sure they plan to leverage MazdaSpeed as a new performance brand name. If you read the MazdaSpeed pages, you'll see that Mazda plans to not only offer the MazdaSpeed cars (Protege, 6, and Miata and maybe more) but also a line of MazdaSpeed branded performance parts. Using the MazdaSpeed cars will be a perfect way to market the MazdaSpeed brand of parts. Just think, a couple years from now you may be able to buy a factory turbo kit for your 6 and have it installed by your dealer. Obviously this is a nightmare for the aftermarket folks, especially if they warranty these parts, but it's better for the customers.
At any rate we'll know soon enough what it will be called. Personally, you could call the car Eleanor and I'd still buy it. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

Personally, you could call the car Eleanor and I'd still buy it. :D[/b]
Yeah, that doesn't sound like a sportive car, so when you say to you friends "Yo dudez, I've got this new ELEANOR" they expect you to come in some old, rusty shopping car (calibre VW Lupo); but when they see it IRL... haha :D

Coen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts