Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not an April Fools. This is exactly what I heard from my local Mazda dealer rep today. The Mazda has a "drainback" valve apparently that FoMoCo filter doesn't. I would have laughed if I were not so pissed off about it. Reason being that they wouldn't look at my car (valvetrain noise as per TSB) b/c it wasn't a Mazda filter(I'm using the Motorcraft filter). I'm not going to recount the whole conversation, but it was something like me asking why Ford could not make the correct filter for the engine they designed. I bought two Mazda filters on the spot.

SO....has anyone cut both of these bad boys open and have any photos of them? I have one of each sitting side by side, and from the outside they are exactly the same, much as you would expect. I *really* want to cut them open and go ask the service manager where the secret Mazda valve is....however I really don't want to ruin two perfectly good oil filters. I really do want to educate somebody...and if those sneaky Mazda engineers in fact put in some special valve then I sure as heck want to know about it.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Take your car to a different dealership.

All oil filters have ADBV's. (Anti Drain Back Valves) I don't know who you talked to, but they were shoveling some serious bs at you, betting on the fact that you wouldn't know enough to smell it.

If an oil filter has a "faulty" ADBV, it can make a ticking or clicking sound. Checking for that is simple, you just replace the oil filter with another one. There isn't any "special" valve that the mazda filter has over any other available filter that fits a 3.0 Duratec.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Ask them how it's a special "Mazda" oil filter when its a Ford engine built in mexico...
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=2557

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've used Motorcraft oil filters for almost 3 years and 43,000 miles. In fact the oil filter that fits my 6 is the same one that is used for my wife's '03 Expedition with the 5.4L V8. It's the same one that fits a bunch of Ford engines! That Mazda rep is an idiot. I just love reps and dealers that look for any excuse not to do something under warranty.
Jackoffs! :jackoff:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I remember my 04 6S CAME with a motorcraft filter on it from the factory... Ask them that....
[/b]
mine too. . . '04 M6s MTX. they're giving you a line of shit. i'd call the Mazda regional service rep.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
I've used Motorcraft oil filters for almost 3 years and 43,000 miles. In fact the oil filter that fits my 6 is the same one that is used for my wife's '03 Expedition with the 5.4L V8. It's the same one that fits a bunch of Ford engines! That Mazda rep is an idiot. I just love reps and dealers that look for any excuse not to do something under warranty.
Jackoffs! :jackoff:
[/b]
I have been using Purolator oil filters in place of Motorcrafts on Ford Modular V6 and V8 motors for over four years, not a single problem. From what I remember, Purolator IS Motorcraft rebadged or vice versa, at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine too. . . '04 M6s MTX. they're giving you a line of shit. i'd call the Mazda regional service rep.
[/b]
That's pretty funny, I can't wait to tell them, oh that's right...probably won't go back there. I know they are full of crap. What really bothered me was that they at first would not even schedule an appointment to look at it unless I had the oil changed and a Mazda filter used.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Actually,
In Canada, the Mazda filter is NOT the same as the FL-820s.

I can tell, because:
- the FoMoCo filter is 36 flute cannister, the MazCan part is a 15 flute (they are both 93mm)
- the FoMoCo is white, the MazCan part is blue
- the FoMoCo filter is $10 Cdn at the dealer, the MazCan part is $7 at the dealer

That said, the FL-820s is what the Mazda v6 comes with, from factory. The MazCan part does have an ADBV on the threaded side of the filter, and it is orange (silicone?). SO, without having cut the thing apart, I can say that it looks awfully like an FL820s, except for the cannister.

I am slightly paranoid about why Mazda Canada would go through the trouble specifying their own filter, when they could just sell big daddy Ford's part, with a buck or two markup. Everybody in Canada is automatically on the "severe" schedule, due to climate so we're all on 8000km/5000mi oil changes... so it's not like the filter has to be able to handle extended intervals. Perhaps, this is one of those mysterious random things that Mazda is known for doing.

Oh well, YMMV.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
the PCV was also clearly stamped Motorcraft, and the replacement i bought at the mazda dealer came in a mazda box, and too was Motorcraft. it's hard to argue against the manufacture of the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I checked the filter on my Mazda 6s MTX Ford Motor Company-owned vehicle and it has the Motorcraft filter on it. That was what the WHQ Service Garage here in Dearborn used when they last changed the oil at 20K miles. Your dealer is flat-out wrong. The Motorcraft filter is the manufacturer-specified filter for that engine. Canada does not have different filter requirements from the US (though you may have different maintenance schedules)

Doug Perrenoud
Ford Motor Company
Powertrain Finance
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
When i worked at Showcase, we used the Motorcraft filter when the Mazda filter went on backorder...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
Revenant
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing