Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...so my gf and i are kinda fighting over which car is faster. now her parents have a 2003 mustang (just the regular stock one...single exhaust) and she swears that it is faster than my '04 6s. is she right and am i going to be feeling really stupid pretty soon or do you guys think the 6 is faster? no type of "drag racing" will be involved, b/c it's illegal :nono: hahahaha

*EDIT* just did a search...found what i was looking for so this can be closed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been curious as to how a 6s MTX would hold up against a 5 liter fox-body or SN95 'Stang. Certainly the 99+ 4.6 GT would destroy a 6s (MTX v/s MTX). But I bet it would be a rather close race against a 5.0 or the pre 99 4.6. They dyno similar HP#'s and seem to run similar times, although the Mustang tends to launch a little harder because of the its additional torque and RWD.

My dad has a relatively stock 94 GT Convertible (ATX, cat-back Flowmaster's) and my 6s is clearly faster.

I'm going to give my buddy's 91 GT a run when he takes it out of storage soon. Its a MTX with some bolt-ons. but it's also got 2 12's in a box and a bunch of other stereo stuff. And he cant drive...he's driven my 6, and thinks I'll beat him!! We both agree my 6 v/s his 'Stang will be much closer than his Mustang v/s my Firebird....should be interesting!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Have to agree with what was said in that thread previously. A stock v6 mustang (what you see the majority of on the road) is disapointingly slow. There is a reason that the genre of "pony car" is named after mustangs (just for show).

However, the v8 has some kick and it would be dam close. I know the Cobra of the past, and the new Cobra coming out soon, would probably destroy a 6, but I think the new v8 would be close. It would win, but be close. ;)

*edit* Ok, so I feel I just have to include, I did testdrive a new v8 mustang and hated it. I don't like the new look that much, and so many features are lacking. Anti-lock breaks? Extra. Traction control? Extra. 6 CD changer? Extra, and have to buy it in a package that includes a gigantic craptastic plastic subwoofer box that fills half the trunk. People compare the stang to things like the GTO and say "yeah, but the msrp is so much less!" but when you add in the stuff to make the two comparable feature wise, you're hitting $30K easy. Plus the lack of a locking gas cap cover just pissed me off in general.

·
Registered
990 Posts
However, the v8 has some kick and it would be dam close. I know the Cobra of the past, and the new Cobra coming out soon, would probably destroy a 6, but I think the new v8 would be close. It would win, but be close. ;)
[/b]
a properly driven 99+ GT would easily beat a 6s.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I've been curious as to how a 6s MTX would hold up against a 5 liter fox-body or SN95 'Stang. Certainly the 99+ 4.6 GT would destroy a 6s (MTX v/s MTX). But I bet it would be a rather close race against a 5.0 or the pre 99 4.6. They dyno similar HP#'s and seem to run similar times, although the Mustang tends to launch a little harder because of the its additional torque and RWD.

[/b]
Yea... you will lose. My roomates 93 stang gt is def faster then my 6s. He will pull away every time. Even if I had 6s mtx I would still be beaten although it would be a lot closer. its odd though since we g-tched his car 0-60 from 7.1 - 8something so you would think it should be a more even race.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yea... you will lose. My roomates 93 stang gt is def faster then my 6s. He will pull away every time. Even if I had 6s mtx I would still be beaten although it would be a lot closer. its odd though since we g-tched his car 0-60 from 7.1 - 8something so you would think it should be a more even race.....
[/b]
What does a 6s G-Tech? Most of the car magazines were in the mid to high 6 second range for a 6s MTX, so it should be close, but the torque advantage really gets the Mustang out of the hole.

I dont think I'm going to win, but I think I can hang within a car length or so. If I recall correctly, 5 liter 5-spd's are in the mid-high 14's and a 6s MTX is around 15 flat, maybe high 14's. However, they both trap roughly the same.

GrassRoots Motorsports magazine had a project 5.0 awhile back and the baseline dyno was somewhere around 185--sorry, dont have the magazine handy! Thats not too far off what a 6s MTX dynos....

Add in the extra weight of 2 12's and a box, plus three amps and the fact that my friend seemingly always misses second gear, and I think it will be close....he thinks I'll win. I think if he doesnt mess up, he'll win, but not by more than a car length or so...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
let me drive the mustang and see who wins! :p

i've always driven an import, but for some reason throwing gears is natural. every friend of mine has some type of monstrous f-body of some sort. anytime i drive i have to throw the gears and romp on it just to get the feel again. i can shift and race better than some of the owners can. as much as i want a real sports car, i always seem to go for the same kind of cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
let me drive the mustang and see who wins! :p

i've always driven an import, but for some reason throwing gears is natural. every friend of mine has some type of monstrous f-body of some sort. anytime i drive i have to throw the gears and romp on it just to get the feel again. i can shift and race better than some of the owners can. as much as i want a real sports car, i always seem to go for the same kind of cars.
[/b]
Theres no reason the mustang shouldnt win....but the performance difference between the two cars isnt that big...

This is my first import. I've always been a FWD Mopar guy (Duster and Neon R/T's). In many ways, I like the 6 more than my F-Body. If life was a drag strip I'd have a different perspective. But the 6 offers plenty of performance--enough that it should satisfy most people on the street. Plus, it runs on 87 octane and in hatchback configuration, has a huge trunk.

In fact, I'm debating if I even want to drive my Firebird this summer or if I otherwise want to save the money I'd spend on insurance and gas and get the CPE intake and engine mount....

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
with the mileage your car currently has, i would keep it low like it is. those are very rare. i know of 2 people in my town that owns one. one was a kid that tore the car up, and the other is a guy that never drives it.

the 6 is fun to drive. and don't get me wrong, f-bodies are too, but they tend to draw the wrong kind of attention. most people i know that have sports cars of that caliber tear up the car showing off by burn-outs or fish-tails...the usual stuff punks with too much power to the wheels will do.

now take the 6 and 'stang to a street course and see what happens!! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
with the mileage your car currently has, i would keep it low like it is. those are very rare. i know of 2 people in my town that owns one. one was a kid that tore the car up, and the other is a guy that never drives it.

the 6 is fun to drive. and don't get me wrong, f-bodies are too, but they tend to draw the wrong kind of attention. most people i know that have sports cars of that caliber tear up the car showing off by burn-outs or fish-tails...the usual stuff punks with too much power to the wheels will do.

now take the 6 and 'stang to a street course and see what happens!! :D
[/b]
I fall into the "never drive it" category. In hindsight, I would have chosen a more balanced sports car. If I could go back 5 years, I would have picked up a low mileage 300ZX turbo or a M3 instead. Solid rear axle sucks for everything but going in a straight line compared to something with an IRS.

Too much power, handeling and braking is just enough....I doubt I'll be able to not mod either of these cars!

·
Registered
52 Posts
M3 :drool:

my dream car would have to be an M3 GTR :love:
[/b]

I would have been more looking at what I think is the second generation M3. The 3.2 240HP variety.

That being said, I drove a work friends current generation M3 convertible with the SMG tranny. I would have saved the $$ and got the three pedal option, but regardless, it was an awesome car!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ok, speaking from personal experience...

My '04 6s with CP-E, Magnaflow exhaust, and eibach springs (the only "performance" mods I have) took on a 99 + GT the other night. It started from a roll of about 40 mph and I just walked him until I shut it down. I don't know what the Mustang had, but it had a hoodscoop and the GT emblems so I ASSUME it was a GT especially since I've raced a V6 of the sme bodystyle and WTFPWNED it from a stop. Stock for stock, the mustang GT should win, but it'd be close. The difference is roughly 20 HP and the weights of the 6s vs. the Mustang is pretty close.

Don't street race, but like I said...from MY personal experience, it's really not that fast (assuming unmodded). By the way, when I shut it down and the guy went past me he flipped me off. I guess he was angry about getting beat by a 4 door sedan.

Edit: I know posting this is questionable, but mods feel free to edit as necessary.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Lol, I tried to race my neighbors 2004 Mustang Cobra 500whp. It scared me to be honest, haha.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
29 Participants
toDIEisGAIN
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing