Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen 0 - 60 times of 6.7 or 6.8 seconds mentioned for the V-6 version of the Mazda 6. This, I'm assuming, is for the manual transmission. How much would the auto add to that time? Has anyone seen any figures for the V-6 automatic?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda 6s 0 to 60 question

Low 8's is what the mags report for the automatic - I don't know if that's with or without power-braking it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6s 0 to 60 question'

Originally posted by CzechMate
            Low 8's is what the mags report for the automatic - I don't know if that's with or without power-braking it.[/b]
That's not bad, but not great either. The Saturn L300 is at least that quick with only 182 peak hp and about 190 lb-ft of torque. (That's a car I looked at before Saturn uglified the car for the 2003 model year.)

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Getting close to the manual 0-60 with an automatic is somewhat easy...

Just make sure you turn off TCS before you start power braking :) Being that I have an automatic I have tried it and it does seem to get the car going a lot quicker than not doing anything at all. And making sure to shift at about 5500 RPMs.

·
Registered
41 Posts

On the SportShift (or Shiftronic or whatever you call it); is "Neutral" a choice or you must be at least in 1st gear?

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Originally posted by GoldDragon

On the SportShift (or Shiftronic or whatever you call it); is "Neutral" a choice or you must be at least in 1st gear?[/b]
Neutral is a gear... but why would you want to start in neutral? And if you say neutral drop imma hit ya :)

·
Registered
212 Posts

You are always in gear with the SportShift. Not that you'd want to put it in neutral, rev it up and then go...that's a big no-no!

·
Registered
526 Posts

Yeah - it is. The power is going into the torque converter, but has no outlet due to the power braking. Do it enough and the tranny will go south.

·
Registered
315 Posts

I don't know if Mazda did this to the automatic 6 but my Eclipse GT has sportronic shift.
You CAN power brake this car. Hold the brake, lightly even, and the brakes hold and the engine climbs to 2500rpm and then stays there. Then release the brake and off you go.
The ECU is set that way so that it doesn't over rev while power braking.

As far as an automatic getting close to the manual, sure, if it were converted to a manual. :)
There is even more drive line loss in an automatic especially through the torque converter.
It'll always be slower, but it'll always be more convenient too. I currently have an automatic Eclipse and have come to accept the positives of auto trannies. Of course, my 6 will be a manual though.

Tome

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by GoldDragon

ok so here's the next question : "is power braking bad for your car ? "[/b]
And for the record, so is drop launching a manual tranny from 5000 RPM, I wish they would state performance stats with just a 0 RPM launch, its a much better benchmark for everyday driving. Drop launching subtracts what, ~.3-.5 sec from your time?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Well, some give you a rolling 5-60 street start. The difference between this time and the 0-60 can often be telling of a car's true power. The WRX, for instance, gets a 5.4 on 0-60, but only like a 6.6 on the 5-60. The 350Z on the other hand loses only a tenth or so. It lets you know how much the launch matters on an AWD vehicle.

·
Registered
315 Posts

"And for the record, so is drop launching a manual tranny from 5000 RPM, I wish they would state performance stats with just a 0 RPM launch, "

But then you'd be testing how fast it takes to start the car and put it in gear. :)

In any car you don't do idle rpm launches. Even when starting out normally you give the engine some throttle so as to have a smooth take off without bucking. And in many cars that have low torque or turbo lag, you have to give enough throttle and increase continuosly so that you can achieve a smooth start.

0-60 is a perfomance number. Thus, to test the maximum potential several 0-60 runs are done in several different ways to see which method provides the quickest time. Performance tests aren't done for longevity. However, hard launches and not breaking apart is telling of how well a car is put together. No where is it stated that you MUST do high rpm clutch drops. They just inform you of what you can do if you wanted to.

I like the performance tests. There are good standard tests that let you determine how various cars perform in comparison. AWD does have the launch advantage and well as grip. 5-60 benefits the high torque low geared cars. 50-70 type test measure an engines mid rpm pull, BUT in relation to it's gearing. There are many things to consider in overall performance numbers.
Then of course there's the whole issue of how well does the car actually feel when driving it, which can be at odds with it's performance numbers.

Look at the new C&D with the review for the RX8 the G35 coupe and a Mustang. The RX8 doesn't break the performance numbers in comparison to the other cars, but overall, it's a balanced machine just as the 6 is. To some, balance is important, to others the 0-60 or the 1/4 mile is where it's at. To each their own whacked view of the world. :)

Tome

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

Well, some give you a rolling 5-60 street start.  The difference between this time and the 0-60 can often be telling of a car's true power.  The WRX, for instance, gets a 5.4 on 0-60, but only like a 6.6 on the 5-60.  The 350Z on the other hand loses only a tenth or so.  It lets you know how much the launch matters on an AWD vehicle.[/b]
Wouldn't a rolling start decrease your time instead of increasing it?

·
Registered
526 Posts

Originally posted by M-006

"To some, balance is important, to others the 0-60 or the 1/4 mile is where it's at.  To each their own whacked view of the world.  :)

Tome[/b]
To me, balance is what makes cars fun to drive. You use the balance on a daily basis. Way more than you use the available brute force the numbers imply.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6s 0 to 60 question'

Great, we agree.
But, the point is, not everyone agrees and some like other things.

Of course, if you can have balance AND more power AND more speed, then I'll take that too. :)
If I was only concerned in fast and great handling, I'd take the WRX now.

Oh! Where's that flame retardent suit?

Tome

·
Registered
212 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6s 0 to 60 question'

Balance is a good thing... but one can never have too much power :) (well, almost never) Drag racing is fun. I ran a best of 14.3 @ 96.3 mph in my automatic '99 Mustang GT and believe me, it's fun as long as it's straight line or at least no sharp curves. I guess I'm a speed freak, although I really stopped street racing loooong ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts