Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finding it hard to find information on the internet right now about the MPS, so hopefully someone can answer this.

I realize that the MPS uses a turbo-charged 2.3L I4 engine, but is it the same one that the Mazda 6i uses - a 2.3L DOHC (MZR) 16V I4?

I'm only wondering this because the availability factor of the 6i's is so great, and that if the engine was the same, you could eventually buy a turbo and get that 280 hp, or close to it.

If not, what do you think the potential could be for upgrading the 6i, with it's I4 engine, in the future, such as turbo's, etc.? How much power do you think you could get, within reason?

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda 6i

I believe they are the same block, however, I do know that the MPS 2.3L uses direct injection technology, something the current motor is not using. In addition, I would suspect the MPS motor has been beefed up a bit to handle all that boost, though maybe not.

As far as tuning, I would expect the I4 to be better than the V6. This engine is going to be found in different tunes in the upcoming Mazda3 (Protege replacement); the new Ford Focus, the new small Volvo, and most likely the upcoming Miata, which means it is all but guaranteed that this engine line will have a lot of tuners doing work on it.

Hope that helps a bit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6i'

Thanks Jerome,

I def. agree with the fact that a 4 cylinder engine will be easier to modify. I am, however, intrigued with the fact that the MPS Mazda6 uses only 2.3L to accomplish the goal of 280hp and descent torque (both Subaru and Mitsubishi, in their rally/street cars are using a much higher displacement to get that or higher hp)

Clearly the 6i engine would need to be upgraded a bit to be able to handle a turbo, but it seems to me like the base of either engine is the same. Im not quite sure how much the direct injection would factor in either, but it doesn't seem like too big of a deal.

Anyone out there that has some knowledge about the 6i vs. the MPS tuned Mazda6, please reply.

- Nick :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by Jerome81

This engine is going to be found... and most likely the upcoming Miata,[/b]
Nope, 2.3L idea for the new Miata was droped when the shared RX-8 platform idea was nixed. The NC motor will be less than 2.3L.

·
Registered
319 Posts

There was a definitive answer that the Miata will NOT use the RX-8 platform? I'd never heard anything about that.

As far as the 2.3L, I know that won't be used in the NC. However, Mazda's I4 family ranges I believe from 1.6 to 2.3L, including 1.8 and 2.0 variants. I would expect at least the 1.8 in the NC if not perhaps the 2.0. The architecture is basically the same as the 2.3L, even if the displacement is different, which is why I said there would be some variant of the 2.3L in the next Miata.

I'm interested in reading where you heard the miata was not on the rX-8 platform. I just cannot see them NOt putting it on that platform after all the development on it. It just makes financial sense and would allow them to make a stiffer car with less weight.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Thanks Jerome,
I def. agree with the fact that a 4 cylinder engine will be easier to modify. I am, however, intrigued with the fact that the MPS Mazda6 uses only 2.3L to accomplish the goal of 280hp and descent torque (both Subaru and Mitsubishi, in their rally/street cars are using a much higher displacement to get that or higher hp)
- Nick :D[/b]
The Mitsu is 2.0L and the Suby is 2.0L overseas and 2.5L in U.S. (for more torque)

p.s. Sorry about the PM, EEnjai, I meant to just reply to the thread, not send a PM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

right, how could I forget the larger than europe engine here in the US. But is the MPS Mazda6 the same engine as the Mazda6i? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

The MPS 6 used the MZR 2.3 liter block. It was supposed to have different heads, camshafts, etc. as well as different injection technology. Beyond that, no real technical data was released.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts