Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any A to B comparisons of the Mazda 6 vs. the volkswagan passsat yet? I would like to know how they stack up against each other. Alos, anyone drive the manumatic versiuion of the six yet? I was curious to know how it works? if it delays like the passat does or how well it shifts?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 Vs. Volkswagan Passat?'

I don't know yet, but I hope the sport shifter kit will have a good response. I did a test drive with a G35 and the delay was about 1-2 sec (pretty slow to me).

I did like the G35 for months before it comes out , but whenl I tried it. issshhh. Very good acceleration, but no support at all for the legs (very small seats) - I'm 6 foot tall. I don't know why cars journalists like that car so much. They tell it's quiet, but NO!!! There's that big wind noise like all the Nissan/Infiniti has and that's THE thing I really don't like to ear in a car (when the wind is louder than your music on the highway).

So to come back to the manumatic, I'll try to get some information on it ('cause I ordered my 6 with it)...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

The Mazda6 not only holds up against the A4, it's even better. It won a comparison test against the A4 in the (German!) auto magazine Auto Motor und Sport. As it has in several different tests I've read.

The Mazda6 is a better car. More fun to drive, better design...well, you need to try them both to understand.

I did.

And I am now the proud owner of a Mazda6.:D

·
Registered
355 Posts

Hi Steve...

I didn't know about this review... Do you know the number of the mag? Would be cool to read it (even if my deutch isn't that good, but I can get the idea).

I agree that Mazda6 feels more fun to drive than A4, and it definately looks much better! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts

I own a 2000 Passat 1.8T wagon. While it's not an automatic, I can note that stock it's very softly suspended from the factory. The reviews make it sound like the 6 should be a much more sporting drive.

Tom

·
Registered
355 Posts

Thanks Steve. Couldn't find it from there though. I guess my deutch is very bad... I couldn't even find a single reference to Mazda6 (except in the sales figure).

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by javah

Thanks Steve. Couldn't find it from there though. I guess my deutch is very bad... I couldn't even find a single reference to Mazda6 (except in the sales figure).[/b]
Look again - it's there! In the third section from below...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Originally posted by mutcth

I own a 2000 Passat 1.8T wagon.  While it's not an automatic, I can note that stock it's very softly suspended from the factory.  The reviews make it sound like the 6 should be a much more sporting drive.  

Tom[/b]
The 6 has a very stiff suspention. My only real reference is a Laguna -96, a very french car, but I think the 6 is stiffer then most of todays cars. That is when you drive normaly. The is almost imune to the normal speed-bump bouncing. But the other day I had to panic brake because of my own stupidness (sat in my own thoughts instead of taking notice of a truck braking for a turn in front of me). Then the cars front sank very deep. Very unpleasant. The wheels didn't lock but I felt the wormy movement of the rear end. That with 15" rims and winter tyres.

Anyway thats the only time I really felt the car reacting with the suspension. Otherwise, in curvs and acceleration, it is very firm. You feel the sudden horisontal twist as you drive over road fillings and such things. It is sometimes a little annoying as every single thing makes the steering react, it is very hard to relaxe when driving on bad roads. But then - my experience says that relaxing is a bad thing :) And the feel in the wheel makes it, honesly, much more fun!

As some magazine wrote - the 6 is like a overgrown GTI.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Thanks Steve!

Talk about giving a stick for a blind person like me! :p

·
Registered
163 Posts

Originally posted by javah

Question: Whose ass is the best? :D  

[/b]
Mine of course ! I meant my Mazda6...:D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Blackbird

Originally posted by mutcth

I own a 2000 Passat 1.8T wagon.  While it's not an automatic, I can note that stock it's very softly suspended from the factory.  The reviews make it sound like the 6 should be a much more sporting drive.  

Tom[/b]
The 6 has a very stiff suspention. My only real reference is a Laguna -96, a very french car, but I think the 6 is stiffer then most of todays cars. That is when you drive normaly. The is almost imune to the normal speed-bump bouncing. But the other day I had to panic brake because of my own stupidness (sat in my own thoughts instead of taking notice of a truck braking for a turn in front of me). Then the cars front sank very deep. Very unpleasant. The wheels didn't lock but I felt the wormy movement of the rear end. That with 15" rims and winter tyres.

Anyway thats the only time I really felt the car reacting with the suspension. Otherwise, in curvs and acceleration, it is very firm. You feel the sudden horisontal twist as you drive over road fillings and such things. It is sometimes a little annoying as every single thing makes the steering react, it is very hard to relaxe when driving on bad roads. But then - my experience says that relaxing is a bad thing :) And the feel in the wheel makes it, honesly, much more fun!

As some magazine wrote - the 6 is like a overgrown GTI. [/b][/quote]

I'm sorry, Roger, but I have to write this... :)D ):

I can't help seeing what you write as coming from an unexperienced driver. The 6 is very stiff, and for good reason. It's a trade-off between sportiness and comfort, but it's still not uncomfortable.

The fact that the car bows during heavy retardation isn't very strange. Cars do that due to the shift in weight towards the front of the car. (More brake force is applied on front wheels than on rear wheels).

I wouldn't say the steering reacts - as you describe it - to every single thing. But the 6 is very directly steered. There is no slack in the steering, so you have to be there with it every inch of the way.

This is most obvious when driving in like a ciculation place, when you have to turn the steering wheel more than you'd expect from your everyday vehicle. Sporty indeed, but a bit uncomfortable at the beginning, since it gives drivers used to less direct steered autos feel that they turn the wheel too much.

Mazda6 is definitely the most fun-to-drive car I've ever driven. And I've driven plenty cars out there. And it's not all about handling. The experience of a car is soooo much more than that...:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

yeah i gues of the hree cars posted, the 6 looks the most aggressive from the back, the other two look more bland or tame. but anyways, i will just have to go and drive one to see how it feels over the passat. Anyone know when they will do crah test results on the six?

The passat is a very safe car, people have walked away from some very horrid accidents with them.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by osho74
Anyone know when they will do crah test results on the six?

The passat is a very safe car, people have walked away from some very horrid accidents with them.[/b]
I have no clue, but I know they plan on doing the Euro-NCAP.

The 6 is probably safer than the Passat based on the safety thinking involved. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I have seen reports that question the reliability of the Passat. I also overheard a guy in a body shop a while ago - he whacked his Passat (into a pole, I think) and did like $13,000 worth of damage at very low speeds. He subsequently had some problems with the VW dealership and/or the bodyshop (unclear).

Makes me think twice about a VW, personally. But if I liked the Passat the best, I'd probably still buy it.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I see no reason why one wouldn't buy the one you like best. I could have afforded any of the mentioned cars. But I picked the Mazda6. At least I put my cents where my mouth is...:)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

I see no reason why one wouldn't buy the one you like best. I could have afforded any of the mentioned cars. But I picked the Mazda6. At least I put my cents where my mouth is...:)[/b]
The point was, if the '6 had a problem-riddled history, would you have still bought it? There's a balance point of comfort in reliability - no matter how much you like a car. Reliability will weigh up and down with other factors and personal preferences, but there is a point where it will come into a decision.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

That's true. And I have much more faith in a Mazda than ever in a Volkswagen.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Give me an idea about the interior space of the Mazda6. How does it compare to the VW Passat, for instance, especially in terms of rear seat room?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts