Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of the car magazine reviews favor the Accord, but after studying and driving both, my wife and I see some real differences that are not mentioned in those reviews. For example, Honda forces you to have a sunroof and leather seats on the Accord EX V6. Mazda allows you to choose. We prefer cloth, as it is cooler in hot weather (southern California); and the sunroof hurts headroom. I am 6' 1" and she is 5' 10" - tall, but not very. Yet, I simply do not fit in the Accord 2 door, unless the seat is leaned way back in the manner of a ghetto teenager. My wife hit her head getting in and out of the passenger side of the Accord 4 door. We both noticed that our legs brush on the Accord 4 door side sill getting in and out, so road dirt getting on pants would be a problem.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda 6 vs US Honda Accord

I thought you had to have leather to get the sunroof in the 6 too?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 vs US Honda Accord'

The point is that you can buy a Mazda 6s without leather and a sunroof, but the Accord EX V6 comes with those items. You could buy an Accord LX, but then you could not get the side curtain air bags. Honda's mistake, Mazda's advantage.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Not to mention the base price of the Accord DX doesn't include A/C whereas the Mazda 6i/s does. But of course the Accord gets props for having the lowest entry price. Pardon my rant....again. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts

I've been saying this since the '6 was released.

Even though the options for the '6 are kinda screwy, we're still better off than NOT having options a la the Accord. I hate that. I hate paying for something I don't want or need.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13

Not to mention the base price of the Accord DX doesn't include A/C whereas the Mazda 6i/s does.  But of course the Accord gets props for having the lowest entry price.  Pardon my rant....again.  :)[/b]
I'd rather pay a little more and have more options standard.

·
Registered
7 Posts

The main advantage the mazda6 has is road handling, and the new accord is just pain ugly IMO in the base model, the coupe is not bad... but not even close of the 6!
BTW, that's my first post here wouhou!

·
Registered
78 Posts

Originally posted by stretchsje

Even though the options for the '6 are kinda screwy, we're still better off than NOT having options a la the Accord.  I hate that.  I hate paying for something I don't want or need.[/b]

In Canadian models, the Accord is a much better buy than the 6. The Accord EX is way better equipped than the 6, and surprisingly, the Accord costs less than the 6. And there are some minor features of the Accord that the 6 doesn't have, like all 4 illuminated window sitches, duel zone climate control, rear seat headrests, etc. not to mention Accord's better drivetrains. It seems the 6 is overpriced and too focus on style, whereas the Accord provides practicality and value.

Personally, I was quite disappointed with the 6's standard features. Ex. Accord's 5-speed auto EX-L costs $30,350 CDN, but the Mazda 6 GS 5-speed with GFX package costs about $31.765 CDN. The only advantage of the 6 is the aerokit/GFX package; whereas the Accord has way more practical features. Resale value? Don't know!

So it's ridiculous to complain about having more standard features. If you prefer to have more options, buy a basic model and ask the dealer to customize your car or on your own.

·
Registered
837 Posts

But once you take a drive in both car, you won't want to go back to a Honda Accord. The Mazda 6 is so sweet to drive if you like to take the car a little higher limit. If you are the type that just drive for the sake of driving then yeah the Accord is the best buy. Has all the little features and better price.

However, for myself taking a empty corner coming home from work at midnight at 50km/h, you will see what I mean. Try to do that in an Accord even at 40km/h.

It is a matter of priorities. What is your priorities in a car?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by melvincat03

So it's ridiculous to complain about having more standard features.  If you prefer to have more options, buy a basic model and ask the dealer to customize your car or on your own.[/b]
I think you missed the point. The Accord doesn't really have customizable options, except things like fog lights, chrome trim, wheel upgrades. You have three models, each having a larger feature set. If one wants, say, a moonroof, they have to buy the Accord EX which commands the highest price tag before the little extras. Mazda groups some of the packages but doesn't seriously bind you like that. I bet you that you could get a moonroof on a 6 and come out spending less than you could if you got one on an Accord. Ah, the freedom to CHOOSE! :D

In the US, the Accord EX V6 is more expensive than the 6s, does not give you the option of a manual transmission (for the four door); and has a shorter warranty. The 6-spd Accord coupe is commanding at least MSRP. IMO, not necessarily a better value.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Originally posted by Fuzzbear

I thought you had to have leather to get the sunroof in the 6 too?  [/b]

I have a sunroof and cloth seats in my 6s, USA model.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Talk about whacked out option mixes. What color leather you want in your Accord dictates what color car you get:

Black leather - Silver only

Beige Leather - Desert Mist (Champagne?); Black or white

Gray Leather - blue, graphite, green or red

These are the ONLY choices. No way to get red with a black interior or white with gray etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Originally posted by hieppo

But once you take a drive in both car, you won't want to go back to a Honda Accord.  The Mazda 6 is so sweet to drive if you like to take the car a little higher limit.  If you are the type that just drive for the sake of driving then yeah the Accord is the best buy.  Has all the little features and better price.

However, for myself taking a empty corner coming home from work at midnight at 50km/h, you will see what I mean.  Try to do that in an Accord even at 40km/h.

It is a matter of priorities.  What is your priorities in a car?[/b]

Priorities? Too many! Style, handling, performance.

You know what, NA models are poorly equipped. Japanese and European Atenzas are better buys I guess.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Originally posted by melvincat03

Originally posted by stretchsje

Even though the options for the '6 are kinda screwy, we're still better off than NOT having options a la the Accord.  I hate that.  I hate paying for something I don't want or need.[/b]

In Canadian models, the Accord is a much better buy than the 6. The Accord EX is way better equipped than the 6, and surprisingly, the Accord costs less than the 6. And there are some minor features of the Accord that the 6 doesn't have, like all 4 illuminated window sitches, duel zone climate control, rear seat headrests, etc. not to mention Accord's better drivetrains. It seems the 6 is overpriced and too focus on style, whereas the Accord provides practicality and value.

Personally, I was quite disappointed with the 6's standard features. Ex. Accord's 5-speed auto EX-L costs $30,350 CDN, but the Mazda 6 GS 5-speed with GFX package costs about $31.765 CDN. The only advantage of the 6 is the aerokit/GFX package; whereas the Accord has way more practical features. Resale value? Don't know!

So it's ridiculous to complain about having more standard features. If you prefer to have more options, buy a basic model and ask the dealer to customize your car or on your own.[/b][/quote]

Sorry to break this to you, but an Accord 5-speed auto EX-L only has a 160hp 4 cylinder engine in it and you're already paying $30,350 CDN for it. The Mazda6 GS 5-speed auto with GFX option package has a 220hp V6 engine in it and you're only paying $31,760 CDN for it. If you want to talk overpriced, it's definitely Honda this time.

·
Registered
230 Posts

I'd personally take the Accord EX-L with a manual transmission over the 6 with the V6 in any guise (I need fuel economy more than I need performance). The Accord EX-L with the manual is a really decently priced car for what you get - only ~$29000 CDN. Who wants an automatic with a four cylinder engine? The manual is far more fun. But for me, the toss up is between the 6 GT-i4 with manual and the Accord EX-L with manual - it's going to be a tough call, I think. The prices are really close, and the features are close too. Both cars are really well equipped at their price point. Neither is anywhere close to over-priced for what you get. I can't wait to test drive them once I'm finished school (graduating with my BSc - YAY!) at the end of April.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda 6 vs US Honda Accord

But then the Mazda6 is a looker and the Accord just looks strange :)

·
Registered
262 Posts

Originally posted by The Chemist

I'd personally take the Accord EX-L with a manual transmission over the 6 with the V6 in any guise (I need fuel economy more than I need performance). The Accord EX-L with the manual is a really decently priced car for what you get - only ~$29000 CDN. Who wants an automatic with a four cylinder engine? The manual is far more fun. But for me, the toss up is between the 6 GT-i4 with manual and the Accord EX-L with manual - it's going to be a tough call, I think. The prices are really close, and the features are close too. Both cars are really well equipped at their price point. Neither is anywhere close to over-priced for what you get.  I can't wait to test drive them once I'm finished school (graduating with my BSc - YAY!) at the end of April.[/b]
I think you'll be more than impressed at how well the 6 GT-i4 handles compared to a Honda Accord. If I were choosing between the 2, I would have to go with the 6 GT-i4, but that's me. The Accord is a terrific car, but the ride is just too serine for me and the rear is just too ugly to be looking at for however many years I'd keep the car.

Still, don't let anyone influence you. Pick whichever car fits your needs, budget, and tastes.

·
Registered
15 Posts

If you measure like cars Honda Accord vs Mazda 6 with similar drive trains and equivalent features the 6 is substantially cheaper simply because the Accord has no way of providing for personal desires . Honda offers three choices . Mazda offers 6 from entry/empty 4 banger to loaded luxury sport touring V6. What if I want a sport 4 door accord ? Oh yeah lets not forget about hondas wonderful financing plans 7.9%!! A little excessive in todays agressive market. Advantage Mazda!!

·
Registered
27 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus

Talk about whacked out option mixes.  What color leather you want in your Accord dictates what color car you get:

Black leather - Silver only

Beige Leather - Desert Mist (Champagne?); Black or white

Gray Leather - blue, graphite, green or red

These are the ONLY choices.  No way to get red with a black interior or white with gray etc.[/b]
You Americans are lucky then cause that's exactly how the 6 is in Canada...

Each car colour has one interior colour that comes with it (assuming you want leather)
ie. if i get a blue car i get beige leather. No choice. Dark Grey comes with some very Oldsmobile looking grey leather. No choice... and on and on.
So I can't get the black on beige car that I really want...

1 - 20 of 76 Posts