Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I've been following this board for some time but never posted, but alas the time of purchase is at hand and I need some help. I'm in Puerto Rico where cars are obnoxiously expensive compared to American prices because of excise tax. I've wanted a six for some time but when they finally arrived I was caught in a jam. Only two styles are being sent to Puerto Rico. The Mazda 6i with Automatic transmission and sports package ($26K american!!!) and the Mazda 6s ($31K) with EVERYTHING on it and either manual or automatic. I wanted a sporty model with a manual transmission and that forced me to look at the fully loaded 6s for 5K more. Problem is at that price I can get a Nissan Maxima SE fully loaded (2003 version) and now I can't decide which I want. The Maxima has a bigger engine and hp (255!!!) but the handling is not as good. Still I think the Maxima will have better resale value and all those ponies would be incredible. So what am I supposed to do. Obviously this is a Mazda 6 board so responses may be biased but I think most of you can do a good job comparing the two vehicles. Help!!!

PS All this would be solved if I could get a 6i with manual transmission, but with an automatic I think I would get really frustrated with its marginal performance...

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda 6 vs. Maxima SE

The best advice is to go drive both!

Weight your options.. If you like the drive of the 6 better, ask yourself if it's worth the extra $5k. If you feel that you would be better off driving the Maxima, then get the Maxima.

Or perhaps, if you wait a couple more months Mazda might send different builds then the 2 that you have mentioned. We here in the states are having big time trouble locating the 6s manuals and you guys will be getting them!

But like I said above.. go drive both and see if its worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

If there are few Mazda6 on the mainland, I would assume PR they are still very rare, right? The Maxima SE has been out for a while, so it must be pretty common. And when you see someone driving the 2004 Maxima, you will instantly feel like you are driving an older car.

My boss has a Maxima SE and he wants to sell it after a year and half. He says he sees like 10 on them everyday on his 40 minute commute on I-95. most are his color too!

He loves my 6s, but I told him he better not dare get one..... get the Mazda6s and you will ZoomZoom and love it.

·
Registered
628 Posts

2003 or 2004 Maxima? Big difference there!
A buddy of mine just got a sweet deal on a 2002 Maxima GLE and let me tell you, fully loaded, it is NICE!

But like Absolut said, Drive both, see how you like each one, and get the one *you* like better. This is a very large purchase and there is no reason you should be spending that kind of money on other people's opinions. Spend it on your own!

Good Luck and stick around the board, Mazda or Maxima!

·
Registered
498 Posts

It really depends on what you're most concerned about. The Maxima is definitely more powerful, and it's also a bit larger (and hence, roomier inside). So if you need the extra horses and the extra room, go for the Maxima. But if you want a far less common car, go for the 6. :)

The last Maxima SE 5-speed I drove was a 2001, and I found the shifter and clutch to be somewhat clunky. The clutch had an annoying "pop" to it, and the shifter felt imprecise. That may have been improved on quite a bit since 2001, but I don't know. But like everyone has said so far, test drive them both and then decide for yourself which one you like best.

I'm surprised they're so close in price; wouldn't the price of a Maxima be just as much higher than here, as the price of a Mazda? I found that even here, a fully-loaded Maxima SE would run around $30K, whereas a fully-loaded 6s would be about $26K.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

WOW! I don't know, considering there is no price difference, I can see your quandry. On the mainland, the Maxima isn't even an option for me because of the price difference.

Well, I'll echo the sentiments of everyone else. The 6 will be more exclusive.

BTW, excuse my ignorance, but are you considered a U.S. citizen if born in Puerto Rico? If so, you guys should try to become a state. Could probably avoid the excise tax in that case.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 vs. Maxima SE'

Thanks for the help everyone. I will be test driving the 2003 Maxima SE soon and guess I'll go with whatever feels right. I guess I can't do too bad with either model.

To answer some of your questions, yes PRicans are citizens of the US but the excise tax has a lot more to do with the fact that we have no sales tax than with whether or not we're a state. The government has considered lowering the tax, but they need the money and we have such a traffic problem anyways, that allowing easier access to vehicles hasn't been an option.

As far as pricing goes, the dealers are trying to get rid of 2003 Maximas because they're not what's "hot" anymore and need the room for the redesigned 2004's. Therefore they're willing to deal down about 4k from the 34k MSRP. The Mazda 6 is new so they're not willing to deal, at all basically. It's a take it or leave it thing. Hence, they're both around the 30K price tag.

As far as the vehicles go, I don't need the extra space the Maxima gives me, but a 6.3 0-60 with an automatic transmission seems very impressive. They're both equiped with the Bose stereo, the CD changer, the leather, the sunroof, the spoiler and the 17in. wheelz, so its dead even there. The Maxima has a bit better acceleration, the Mazda has a bit better handling, the Maxima looks older and maybe more refined, the Mazda looks younger and sportier. I just can't make up my mind.

Thanks for the help though...

·
Registered
354 Posts

If you want a stylish and beautiful car-buy the 6! If you want a boring car nobody is interested to even look at ( ;) ); buy the Maxima. Don't get me wrong, I like the Maxima! Exspesially the last modell. But it's starting to be old now....

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

No, that title is claimed on this board by some other members. Will not comment upon which ones. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

No, that title is claimed on this board by some other members. Will not comment upon which ones. :)[/b]
LOL!!!!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

No, that title is claimed on this board by some other members. Will not comment upon which ones. :)[/b]

Damn, ok then I'll live with prostitute then. :hoho

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

We all are - one way or the other. Not all would admit it though, I'll have to hand you that! :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda 6 vs. Maxima SE

im a bit partial too, but i disagree with the amount of maximas on the road. i barley see them, which is why i enjoy it so much. give the 6 a few years and it will catch up to the amount of maximas, if not, exceed it due to its affordability.

as far as which to get, you have to leave that up to the test drive. i will tell you that the 6 is more fun to drive, and the auto max will get boring after a while even with all those ponies. now if you get the 6sp max, diff story

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Originally posted by ChoppaBoy

im a bit partial too, but i disagree with the amount of maximas on the road. i barley see them, which is why i enjoy it so much. give the 6 a few years and it will catch up to the amount of maximas, if not, exceed it due to its affordability.

as far as which to get, you have to leave that up to the test drive. i will tell you that the 6 is more fun to drive, and the auto max will get boring after a while even with all those ponies. now if you get the 6sp max, diff story[/b]
Maybe in Louisville there arenn't many Maximas, but in the Norteast, I must see 20-30 Maximas on an average day. I'm not joking. They are more common than the Taurus. Arounf here, I see Camry's, Maxima SE's, Accords, and Altimas hundreds of times a day combined.

I disagree with the 6 being as popular as the Maxima. People just don't dig the 6 as much because it's smaller than both the Maxima and the Altima. people nowadays want big trucks and sedans.

·
Registered
464 Posts

you can always buy the 6i for less than the maxima and then with the money saved buy a turbo when it comes out and have HP in the 200's...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts