Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one of the cars would you choose? Yes, lexus has many advantages, but disadvantage is the price. So would you rather buy like 2001 Lexus IS300 with like 15,000 miles or for same price 2003 mazda 6 with 00 miles?

Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 vs. Lexus IS300'

The only advantage I see for the Lexus is its RWD platform. I'd still choose the Mazda any day, but I do wish it were RWD or AWD.

-Alt

·
Registered
158 Posts

New car vs. used car?

The driving dynamics of the Lexus are probably a bit better with it's RWD platform and better weight distribution. In terms of exterior styling, I like both vehicles. Based on pics of the lexus, I'd have to say I like the interior of the Mazda a bit better. The Toyota 3L I-6 is probably a bit better of an engine. The Mazda is a larger car by quite a bit (10" in length, ~3" in width and 50% larger trunk); though they have the same weight.

So the questions are: how much is the lexus name worth, and how much do you value being the first owner of your car?

Personally, I'd take the unabused Mazda and treat her as my own from day 1.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

From what I've read the IS300 is a fine car. But the fact that my primary car must be a 4 season, get me to work on time transport, I prefer FWD in the winter.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Originally posted by LBJay

From what I've read the IS300 is a fine car. But the fact that my primary car must be a 4 season, get me to work on time transport, I prefer FWD in the winter.[/b]
What about in places like georgia where there is no snowing? if there is some snowing, its like 1-3 inches max.

·
Registered
21 Posts

if you are concerned about rear passenger comfort, i would go with the 6. i sat in both the 6 and is300 and the is300 is a lot more cramped. less leg room, and there's that annoying hump in the middle where the axle to the rear wheels is.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Oh...i dreamed of my IS300...."MY PRECIOUS!!!" :zzz

Funny too...I pondered going this route...how to get my Lex...but then I saw the 6...was intrigued...test drove it...:love ...now I wait for her delivery in the next few months...

here's to my wait....cheers fellas :cheers

-NY Mazda6

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

I found the IS300 looks amazing. Perfect car...but that interior is too old and I prefer a new car. So it will probably be the Mazda6

·
Registered
514 Posts

I describe the IS interior as a carnival ride. I just don't understand what the typically sedated Lexus designers were thinking. It looks like they left a whole layer of dashboard material off and you can see the underlying reinforcements.

-Alt

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Originally posted by Altersys

I describe the IS interior as a carnival ride.  I just don't understand what the typically sedated Lexus designers were thinking.  It looks like they left a whole layer of dashboard material off and you can see the underlying reinforcements.

-Alt[/b]
Its very good quality material though. I think it uses better interior materials than accord, altima, and mazda 6. Not sure though.

·
Registered
514 Posts

I would agree to that for sure.. it IS a lexus, after all. But it's still fugly to me. And IMO the '6 interior is "good enough" for me as I'm coming from a strictly sports-car background. Anything is luxurious compared to a sports car :)

-Alt

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Given the fact that the 2001 IS300 is Auto tranny only, definitely the 6. The Lexus is naturally better balanced and is a great driver's car. Personally I don't care for the interior. It's nice - just not to my taste. Interior space, comfort and utility go to the 6; as well as having excellent dynamics. IS300 probably has more "cool" factor. If that's important to you, the Lexus badge definitely has more cachet.

·
Registered
514 Posts

I think Lexii are played out personally... Mazda to me is a "cooler" badge to have on the hood. yeah, I'm weird but isn't that the point of Mazda? To be different?

-Alt

·
Registered
16 Posts

Originally posted by Altersys

I think Lexii are played out personally..

-Alt[/b]
Word. I've never been a Lexus fan and never will. My stepmom got a big LS for Christmas and here is my reaction to it....:zzz

·
Registered
514 Posts

The new LS is even fuglier than the last gen LS... looks like a smoothed-out tank.

-Alt

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Personally, I like Lexus. But to me it's nothing but a bit fancier Toyota (which is exactly what it is - in Japan, all Lexuses are actually branded Toyota).

But fact is: it costs too much. It's still just a standard car, but with some extravaganza. But if you take a closer look, you'll see that you don't get a lot of bang for your buck.

The 6 on the other hand, that's a completely different story as we all know...:)

·
Registered
514 Posts

Lexii take away from the driving experience. I don't want to pay extra for less, and that's what Lexii seem like to me. The IS is an exception. But it's fugly. I've already said that, haven't I? :)

-Alt

1 - 20 of 34 Posts