Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At long last, another car has finally entered the arena that is worth buying....the Mazda 6. For 3yrs I was the proud owner of a 1990 SHO and thought I would never find another car I would enjoy as much. It's quite unbelievable when an 11yr old 4 door sedan with 178K miles on the odo can still peel 1st, 2nd, and part of 3rd, and leave 50% of the brand new cars sitting at the stoplight wondering what just happened. It still handled like it was on rails, and I can say I never had a single engine problem in the time I owned it.
What I find rather interesting are the similarities between the SHO and the Mazda 6: Both have 220HP, four doors, similar curb weights, and are considered ahead of their time. The big difference in the SHO however, was that when it debuted yrs ago, it was 60HP ahead of it's nearest competitor and to this day I still say the Yamaha DOHC powerplant is ahead of its time. Before Ford detuned it, the high revving 24 valve 3.0 developed over 300HP bone stock and there are some reports that it could effortlessly run for hours at 12,000RPM. What on earth was Ford thinking, when they made so little use of such a great engine ???? I still find it surprising the Japanese have yet to buy back their blueprints and put the engine to use for themselves.
Which brings me to my only gripe with the Mazda 6.....not enough HP. If they had dropped a supercharger in it bringing the HP in the 280-290 range, they would have guaranteed market leader status for quite sometime. However, opening with 30-40HP less than comparative market competitors, has once again ensured Mazda will trail the pack.
I came very close to choosing the Nissan Maxima over the Mazda 6, however the Mazda has something the Maxima doesn't....it has looks and appeal. The Maxima is like a run of the mill family sedan with an engine on steroids. Whereas the 6 has everything the Maxima lacks...including an underpowered powerplant. Looks and handling won the battle, and now I am a somewhat satisfied owner of a Mazda 6 s trim with the optional v6 (of course). I will be the first in line should the Mazda Speed 6 ever make an entrance.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda 6 vs. Ford SHO

Ford detuned the SHO because they didn't have a FWD transmission/clutch that could take the power. I would suspect that the 6 may be the same. Could Mazda have tuned the motor for more HP? Sure. I'm sure we will see bumps in HP over the next couple of years.

As for handling over HP, for a street car I'll take handling every time.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 vs. Ford SHO'

Originally posted by diesel5599
 I came very close to choosing the Nissan Maxima over the Mazda 6, however the Mazda has something the Maxima doesn't....it has looks and appeal. The Maxima is like a run of the mill family sedan with an engine on steroids. Whereas the 6 has everything the Maxima lacks...including an underpowered powerplant. Looks and handling won the battle, and now I am a somewhat satisfied owner of a Mazda 6 s trim with the optional v6 (of course). I will be the first in line should the Mazda Speed 6 ever make an entrance.[/b]
you must be speaking of an 03 max. coming from an '02 maxima owner (with a mazda 6s ordered); i agree with the looks and handling issue, especially with the 00-03 maximas ancient rear suspension

but dont forget the maxima is quite more luxurious, standard hid headlights (very nice); a noticeably larger interior, and the most repected and advanced v6 engine in the world. its hard to say no to a 6sp w/ 260hp and LSD, especially when it can be had for about the same price as the mazda6s, maybe cheaper :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by ChoppaBoy

but dont forget the maxima is quite more luxurious, standard hid headlights (very nice); a noticeably larger interior, and the most repected and advanced v6 engine in the world. its hard to say no to a 6sp w/ 260hp and LSD, especially when it can be had for about the same price as the mazda6s, maybe cheaper :)[/b]
The Maxima is geared towards the full-sized market, not the mid-sized like the '6, and hence is probably more luxurious. But it also carries the full-size price, $25-$28ish.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

The Maxima is geared towards the full-sized market, not the mid-sized like the '6, and hence is probably more luxurious.  But it also carries the full-size price, $25-$28ish.[/b]
nah, you can get a new 2003 max like i described above for about 22k, 03 maximas are going for invoice pricing right now with the 04 max approaching

oh, and every maxima up to 2003 were geared for the midsize market, not full size.

the 04 max will be the first for full size

·
Registered
514 Posts

Originally posted by diesel5599

I came very close to choosing the Nissan Maxima over the Mazda 6, however the Mazda has something the Maxima doesn't....it has looks and appeal.[/b]
and that's what Mazda is banking on...

Not to mention the handling.

And the stellar (IMO) interior.

And the fit and finish.

And the steering feedback.

Well, you get the point :)

-Alt

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reading Topic: Mazda 6 vs. Ford SHO

I definitely agree the Maxima is a very close competitor of the Mazda 6, what won the battle for me was looks, handling (of course); and overall quality. I must say the Maxima did have some nice features that kind of surprised me when they were missing in the 6..Namely: Autopower down both front windows, One touch sunroof, etc.
However, I remember owning cars where I still had to roll the windows down by hand and had to hope they went up if it rained, I am quite sure I can live without some features. The Maxima's HID headlights are a nice touch, but don't forget the Mazda has those mini bulbs (don't know the official name) set within the fog lamps. When the car's parking lights are on it looks really cool. I hadn't seen lamps like those on anything except BMWs before now.
And another simple fact is.....everyone has a Maxima, not to mention the majority of Maxima's are owned by people who don't expect to have fun when they get on the road. The Maxima is simply a dull point A to point B type car, no matter that you have 260HP at your fingertips to get you there. I forsee my 6 being loads of fun for a long time to come...I see the Maxima as just another family sedan waiting for a face lift.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts