Mazda 6 Forums banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
No scan codes are thrown, my crank sensor was swapped from my old engine, no go. Haven't taken apart the old one engine, but there was a LOUD clanging coming from the bottom end, and it was missing badly with no pull...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, currently in the progress of trying to find out what killed my 03 Mazda 6. I had a random misfire code but after changing the bad coil and the front bank cats, the car still runs like a bag. Once i can figure out why, i'll probably end up pulling the motor for a swap or a rebuild. Is it possible to get the motor out from the top? Or do you have to drop the subframe? Or pull the rad and come out through the front??

Thanks for all the awesome info on the swap!

·
Registered
11 Posts
It threw the misfire code on Cyl 5, and also the Random misfire code. After getting some numbers off the compression test last night and draining the oil tonight (you can see metal shaving in the oil)

The numbers are as follows
Dry first, then the wet
Cyl1- 170 (210)
Cyl2- 170 (180)
Cyl3- 160 (190)
Cyl4- 150 (170)
Cyl5- 150 (190)
Cyl6- 150 (180)

The car was bone cold, as it hasn't been run in a while as i've been putting off doing this job. haha. Any help would be lovely. Probably gonna end up pulling the motor.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bumping it up!!

GREAT thread! It's awesome to know that so much money could be saved by this swap. I came across a '05 6s MTX with 147K on craigslist, but it needs a motor. After researching this swap, I might try and pick it up to flip it.

What was the total cost of this swap then? Including misc. parts needed, and while we're at it, what are those misc. parts? I've seen things here and there in this thread, but a full list would be awesome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
AOD?

First of all, can I just say what an exciting thread this was to find!

I sit here with pre-cat failure and a blown head gasket wondering what to do to my 04 6S [118k miles].

As I have begun my hunt for an 06 Fusion engine, i've come across some labelled with AOD, which I believe means Automatic Overdrive? Does this matter? Should I avoid this?

I'm an uber-rookie who will likely be finding someone/a shop to replace this for me. So I need to make sure I find a good deal and the parts are all lined up for whoever does it for me!

Thanks in advance. Again, great thread!!

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok Guys, I'm reaching out for some help here. I am trying to swap an 07 Milan motor into my '04 Mazda 6. When the mechanic pulled the Mazda motor out, and put it side by side with the new motor, he said that ALOT more than the list above needed to be changed, including HEADS and all sensors. Is this true? Could it be that the wrecking yard sold us a different motor than the 07 Milan Motor? Please advise. Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
After reading how cheap you all have gotten the Fusion motors for, has anyone sold their mazda block for a decent price? I'm trying to convince myself to keep my car and possibly face the need for a new motor.

·
Registered
532 Posts
First of all, can I just say what an exciting thread this was to find!

I sit here with pre-cat failure and a blown head gasket wondering what to do to my 04 6S [118k miles].

As I have begun my hunt for an 06 Fusion engine, i've come across some labelled with AOD, which I believe means Automatic Overdrive? Does this matter? Should I avoid this?

I'm an uber-rookie who will likely be finding someone/a shop to replace this for me. So I need to make sure I find a good deal and the parts are all lined up for whoever does it for me!

Thanks in advance. Again, great thread!!Paul
All Ford Fusions came with Automatic trans, so it doesn't matter. Try to find one with as low miles as you can!

Ok Guys, I'm reaching out for some help here. I am trying to swap an 07 Milan motor into my '04 Mazda 6. When the mechanic pulled the Mazda motor out, and put it side by side with the new motor, he said that ALOT more than the list above needed to be changed, including HEADS and all sensors. Is this true? Could it be that the wrecking yard sold us a different motor than the 07 Milan Motor? Please advise. Thanks
Unless you got something other then a Milan engine it should be the right engine. There the same as a ford fusion. Maybe post a pic of it so wee can see.
Once you take the valve covers and timing cover off the block should look identical. As for sensors I swapped them all over anyway theres not that many.

After reading how cheap you all have gotten the Fusion motors for, has anyone sold their mazda block for a decent price? I'm trying to convince myself to keep my car and possibly face the need for a new motor.
I sold the "Mazda" engine out of my parts car for $1000. :) And I recently bought a fusion engine for $400. As for the old blocks I had to send mine back as a core.

Reactions: mopartruckcrazy

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sold the "Mazda" engine out of my parts car for $1000. :) And I recently bought a fusion engine for $400. As for the old blocks I had to send mine back as a core.

Hey, I just got done replacing my Mazda motor with an 07 Fusion motor! Everything went great, thanks for the help!!

I'm now looking to sell my Mazda engine block...where did you sell yours? And for $1000 what all did you include with it?

Here's a pic of mine without the timing cover and valve covers.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I sold mine as a running engine, with everything on it. I sold it in the local classifieds.

Reactions: pgreen1983

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
PNs and info to add to the con'FUSION!!! Well, hopefully reduce it some!

2006-2009 FORD 3.0 L 6 CYL ENGINE 6E5E-AA ATKDFWZ (VIN 1) 2006-2009 Ford Fusion(06-09), Milan(06-09), Zephyr(06) DURATEC (V6 CYL)

2006-2009 Ford Fusion(06-09), Milan(06-09), Zephyr(06) DURATEC (V6 CYL)
FORD 3.0 06-09 ENG 183/3.0

FI, GAS, MFI, DOHC, 24Valves, Ford(EngineMfr), Duratec, SFI(FuelSystDesi.), T- cover cast #6E5E-BG

Block Casting: 6E5E-6015-AA
Right Head Casting: 3M4E-6090-CE
Left Head Casting: 3M4E-6C064-CE/CF
Crank Casting: VI60
Casting Location: Bell Housing Top
Years: 2006-2009
Model: Fusion(06-09), Milan(06-09), Zephyr(06)

Hollander: 9184
Special Notes: Duratec,Dohc 24 Valve,Aluminum Block And Heads,V6
Help info: Dohc 24 Valve,Duratec, Aluminum Block, Block Cast # 6e5e-Aa, Head Cast #3m4
Help info: Roller Rocker Arms, Oval Intake Ports.
INV Help: Timing Cover Cast # 6e5e-6c086-Bg
Chain Drive Cams, 42 Teeth Cam Sprocket.
Water Pump Driven Left Exh Cam, V.V.T. On Intakes
Upc Code: 653517260742

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes it will connect just fine, you will want to get a pilot bushing, I was not able to remove the one from my old engine, I ended up not using it since I didn't have time to locate one, after measuring it didn't seem like the transmission would even touch it, hind sight I wish I would have gotten one to be safe, i have been running my Fusion motor for over 2 years and put 47,000 miles on the original 50,000 Fusion engine. Runs great. The Body now has 267,000 miles.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.