Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOES ANYONE KNOW 100% FOR SURE THAT THE FUSION V6 AND THE MAZDA6 V6 ENGINE ARE IDENTICAL??? sorry for cap lock. ive found a mazda engine for around 1500 used and a fusion engine for 700. both have variable valve timing. both are v6. the only difference i see is the valve covers. its going to cost around 1100 for my rebuild after ordering new parts, seals and gaskets. any help will be greatly appreciated by both my car which is currently sitting in the garage with the engine at the machine shop and my bank account.

·
Registered
206 Posts
what's the head's part number? Do you know?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Reactions: The Great NY

·
Registered
3 Posts
DOES ANYONE KNOW 100% FOR SURE THAT THE FUSION V6 AND THE MAZDA6 V6 ENGINE ARE IDENTICAL???
The short answer is NO, they are not identical.

I bought a 2006 3.0 Fusion engine yesterday and started my engine removal this afternoon. The best deal I could find locally was $1,500 for a 3.0 Mazda with 95k miles. I paid $450 for the Fusion engine with 16k miles and a year warranty. The $1000+ savings is worth the gamble for me.

After a quick look at the engines I noticed the following:
1. Intake manifold and throttle body appear to be the same on both engines
2. Water pump belt has a tensioner on the Mazda engine and not on the Fusion
3. Valve covers are different
4. Electrical connections for the coils, injectors, VVT and most of the sensors appear to be the same on both engines
5. Fuel line connection to the fuel rail is different
6. The engine harness to body harness connectors are different - I will use the Mazda engine harness on the Fusion engine
7. The crankshaft dampner/accessory drive pulleys are different

I will post pictures of both engines sitting side by side when I get the Mazda engine out. Progress will be slow due to my busy schedule, but I will document the swap as it moves along.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The short answer is NO, they are not identical.

I bought a 2006 3.0 Fusion engine yesterday and started my engine removal this afternoon. The best deal I could find locally was $1,500 for a 3.0 Mazda with 95k miles. I paid $450 for the Fusion engine with 16k miles and a year warranty. The $1000+ savings is worth the gamble for me.

After a quick look at the engines I noticed the following:
1. Intake manifold and throttle body appear to be the same on both engines
2. Water pump belt has a tensioner on the Mazda engine and not on the Fusion
3. Valve covers are different
4. Electrical connections for the coils, injectors, VVT and most of the sensors appear to be the same on both engines
5. Fuel line connection to the fuel rail is different
6. The engine harness to body harness connectors are different - I will use the Mazda engine harness on the Fusion engine
7. The crankshaft dampner/accessory drive pulleys are different

I will post pictures of both engines sitting side by side when I get the Mazda engine out. Progress will be slow due to my busy schedule, but I will document the swap as it moves along.
Most of the differences you describe (2, 5, 6 and part of 7) are based on the year of manufacture not mazda vs ford.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Shoot, if this motor works. That'll be one hell of a find.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Most of the differences you describe (2, 5, 6 and part of 7) are based on the year of manufacture not mazda vs ford.
this

Ps can someone post pictures of the difference in valve covers? just wondering if maybe they have a better designed OCV or something. Valve covers are generally nothing mechanical so who cares if it is a ford or mazda valve cover...... so long as it works:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, got the engine. upon further inspection i found that i have to change the timing cover, oil pan, fuel rail and oil pick up tube. it appears that i can keep the fusion valve covers (all the bolt holes line up perfectly with the mazda ones, i will see how the accordion tube fits probably tomorrow.) which is good because the fusion coils are bigger and appear to be beefier than mine. i would have to change the oil pressure switch but the engine i bought came with a full harness and i was able to remove the pins from the connector and put the fusion one on my stock harness. one more difference i can see is that the fusion coil packs sit in a different "clocking" orientation than the mazda. i will deal with this with splicing in the fusion connectors if necessary. if the valve covers have to be changed i will revert to the mazda coils as the holes on the fusion are mush larger in diameter. the transmission spacer plate fits perfectly. the water pump is the same. it looks like im in business as far as the swap is concerned.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fusion engine pics

new engine pics

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If there are any requests for pics of the fusion components or block please ask soon as im in a hurry to install this and start driving again. ive been stuck driving a 93 GEO metro and trust me you would be in a hurry too.

Reactions: F3ARNO3VIL

·
Registered
212 Posts
If there are any requests for pics of the fusion components or block please ask soon as im in a hurry to install this and start driving again. ive been stuck driving a 93 GEO metro and trust me you would be in a hurry too.
Gods speed to you and getting out of the GEO :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
im in a hurry to install this and start driving again. ive been stuck driving a 93 GEO metro and trust me you would be in a hurry too.
I understand your motivation....my motivation is the price of diesel....I love my truck but it hurts my wallet every time I fill up.

I have my subframe out and the engine is almost ready to drop, but it looks like it will be a week before I get a chance to work on it.

I hope the swap goes good for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
585 Posts
new engine pics
The difference to the oil pan is based on the year of manufacture. 06-08 6's have the same design. It was changed to increase oil capacity and and eliminate an oil starvation problem during long left hand turns when the oil would all slosh away from the pick-up tube.

Attachments

Reactions: cmorty72

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didnt know that. it makes sense though. i have an 05 and the engine is an 06. I dont think i actually put the replacement engine details on here yet. its an 06 fusion with 40k miles a 90day warranty FULL engine. im talking injectors, rail, coils, all sensors, throttle body, intake, exh manifolds and o2 sensors all for the price of.................$500. no shipping as me and a friend went to pick it up. on a side note FYI you can fit a complete fusion engine in the back of a 93 ford explorer. they loaded it with a forklift we secured it from rolling too much with 2 used tires and i unloaded it with a 2x8 piece of wood about 8 feet long.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.