Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,401 Posts
I have a big mowing trailer and thinking of fitting a towbar to 2007 Mazda 6 sedan to tow it.
Hello. The best way to help you would be to get a definition of "big".

Probably YES
Wheel Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle Sky

Probably NO
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

If it is an automatic, having a good transmission cooler is compulsory for towing.

Your towing capacities are as follows.
Mazda 6 (GG,GY)
Max Towing Weight - Unbraked
Max Towing Capacity - Braked

Automatic = 550 kgAutomatic = 1500 kg
Manual = 550 kgManual = 1600 kg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello. The best way to help you would be to get a definition of "big".

Probably YES
View attachment 246074

Probably NO
View attachment 246075

If it is an automatic, having a good transmission cooler is compulsory for towing.

Your towing capacities are as follows.
Mazda 6 (GG,GY)
Max Towing Weight - Unbraked
Max Towing Capacity - Braked

Automatic = 550 kgAutomatic = 1500 kg
Manual = 550 kgManual = 1600 kg
Trailer with ride on mower is it . I will try to get a second hand tow bar as new fitted is over a grand.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I can say for Gen 3 Mazda Australia has excellent tow bars. Not sure re Gen 1.

They are so excellent, imho, because the receiver tube is vertically-oriented, and they are so incredibly well-hidden when the ball assembly is not in place, that angle-of-departure / grounding-out on ramps is totally a non-issue. Kudos to Mazda Aus!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a 6 speed manual. 2007 petrol engine and i am not sure of its size. I am impressed with double OHC and cam advancer on one cam. Who knows about this device? Thanks for advice on trailer. I have lots of local ride on mower jobs that this poor little Mazda 6 has to attend with me.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT & 2006 Mazda 6 GT-MT HB
970 Posts
Here is a thread you might find useful.

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Dr FG... 'real neat. I can imagine you did 'hafta be careful with tongue weight when you towed with your wagon... No weight distributing hitch (as it is not recommended with typical unibody cars). The strange thing is, your wagon did not seem to sag much behind. Stock rear springs???

As a V6, it no doubt was easier to tow with your 6, though I imagine it's still a possibility to tow with a gen3... but I'd wager it'd be pushing it. The A/T cooling arrangement in a Gen3 makes it a PITA to add aux cooling... but it still would be a must.

I viewed your referenced website, and found it cool!

Cheers

·
Registered
200 Posts
European-market campers are designed with very little tongue weight. They are designed that way so they can be towed by normal cars. Scamps are pretty cool too, but they have a little more tongue weight. I would be curious how much the 6 wagon sags, because I see the trailer is supported by the jack in that picture, not by the car.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Your comment re Euro tongue weights makes sense. I believe in Europe they also limit trailer towing speed limits... so that goes 'round with reduced tongue weights.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Your comment re Euro tongue weights makes sense. I believe in Europe they also limit trailer towing speed limits... so that goes 'round with reduced tongue weights.
I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a vehicle to tow my small camper trailer (2,950 lbs dry) that would not suck the soul out of my body. Unfortunately, stateside, there are not a lot of wagons or sedans that can tow that much. Some Volvo station wagons, and some rare Dodge Charger models have an option to tow up to 3500lbs, but I couldn't find any and they were all automatics. I was going to get a minivan but before I found a good one, I found a manual-transmission, six-cylinder BMW X5 (2003) which has a tow capacity of 6,500lbs and is super solid.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,401 Posts
Dr FG... 'real neat. I can imagine you did 'hafta be careful with tongue weight when you towed with your wagon... No weight distributing hitch (as it is not recommended with typical unibody cars). The strange thing is, your wagon did not seem to sag much behind. Stock rear springs???

As a V6, it no doubt was easier to tow with your 6, though I imagine it's still a possibility to tow with a gen3... but I'd wager it'd be pushing it. The A/T cooling arrangement in a Gen3 makes it a PITA to add aux cooling... but it still would be a must.

I viewed your referenced website, and found it cool!

Cheers
You would have to be careful for sure. I believe an airbag system that you fill as needed would be helpful. That is not my wagon. I have a white one and it is lowered. While I do have a 30% increase in my spring rate the mustard would still not be cut.
The inline pic had the trailer tongue on a stand. The owner (attached link) said he would do that when not in motion to ease the weight demand.
The attached pic (not inline) shows it weighted and you can see the front wheel arch clearance.

I answered because I ha.e been researching fairly extensively over the last year my options for towing a shifter kart (or two). I really like the European hide a hitch setups but having one shipped here is quite cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I found that the European designed/made Westfalia-Automotive (??) ones are rated to an inferior value of tongue load versus the Mazda Australia ones. Now talk about shipping costs, for the latter 😐.

There's an ability to select English on that site, btw.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT & 2006 Mazda 6 GT-MT HB
970 Posts
European-market campers are designed with very little tongue weight. They are designed that way so they can be towed by normal cars. Scamps are pretty cool too, but they have a little more tongue weight. I would be curious how much the 6 wagon sags, because I see the trailer is supported by the jack in that picture, not by the car.
Is this a fact? Any trailer with less than 10-12% tongue weight is prone to sway.

The jack in the picture is a non-foldable jack, it's raised enough to not touch the ground. That jack will never touch the ground while towing.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Is this a fact? Any trailer with less than 10-12% tongue weight is prone to sway.

The jack in the picture is a non-foldable jack, it's raised enough to not touch the ground. That jack will never touch the ground while towing.
I think there are lesser speed limits imposed on vehicles with trailers being towed, in Europe, which likely mitigates a bit. They focus on light weight trailers there, often single axle, and I do believe that tongue loads are smallish there. Much less use of equalizer bars and sway control assemblies there, I believe...

Their moderate duty balls are 50mm; ours are 50.8mm (2"). Their hitch balls look weird, and do not have proximal-to-the-ball safety chain attachment points.

·
Registered
200 Posts

This was 7-8 years ago when I was doing my research, and I believe they have requirements for sway control so that they can tow a camper trailer with a four-cylinder, FWD family car like the mazda in the video above. If you put 300lbs of tongue weight on any Mazda6 (USDM or otherwise) it would not work very well, and I don't think hitches that can handle a WDH are made for our cars on either side of the pond.

I don't know technically how they implement that but that is my understanding. I have never lived in europe nor have I ever towed there.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sway control can be had via either higher tongue weight or lower vehicle speed. N. America chooses the former strategy, most of the rest of the world chooses the latter. Both are successful, viable strategies. Neither is ‘better.’

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT
1 - 19 of 19 Posts