Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just replaced my tensioner and both belts 2 weeks ago having no prior experience to performing that repair and it was simple to do.

Do yourself a favor and order a new tensioner bolt and nut, and get an extra long 10mm (or maybe it's 12mm) cresent wrench. You won't be able to get sockets in there so save yourself the trouble and don't bother trying lol.

For a new tensioner, both belts, and new tensioner hardware (lower bolt and upper nut), you can easily be under $160. I imagine a dealership will charge 3x that at a minimum.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's a 17mm wrench to compress the tensioner so you can get the belt off. But if you don't have an extra long one, you might be able to extend the 17mm with a 19mm fitted to the other end of it:

I was referring to the tensioner bolt and nut that need to be removed to replace the tensioner but that is also important will be helpful to anyone attempting this. I cut my belts off due to laziness but the 17mm wrench is still needed to get the new serp belt on properly.

If I am not mistaken, it's recommended to replace the tensioner whenever the belts are replaced. I didn't replace it when my first serp belt needed replacing and it covered my alternator in oil/grease shortly afterwards due to the tensioner failing.

Replacing the crankshaft seal (also known as the front oil seal) is also very doable during this process if you have a strong enough impact to break the crank pulley lock bolt loose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts